Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Could God do better?

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

The philosopher Gottfried Leibniz argued that this is "the best of all possible worlds" to free God from blame for the world's troubles. In other words, this world, warts and all, is the best God could have done. I'm left wondering, though, why this world is the best possible. It seems likely to me that the world would be better off without cancer, for example, and therefore it's really not the best possible world. Wouldn't the world actually be better without cancer, and if it would be better without cancer, then why is God failing to do the best he presumably could do? If the world is the best possible world, then how does the presence of cancer make it better than a world without cancer?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Could God do better?

Post #2

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm If the world is the best possible world, then how does the presence of cancer make it better than a world without cancer?
I cannot see how sickness and suffering could be part of the original purpose of a loving God.

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm Wouldn't the world actually be better without cancer, and if it would be better without cancer, then why is God failing to do the best he presumably could do?

Biblically God is not "failing" to do His best he is PREPARING us to enjoy His best.

2 PETER 3:9 - Berean Study Bible

The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness, but is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish but everyone to come to repentance.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SATAN , HUMAN SUFFERING and .... THE ISSUE OF UNIVERSAL SOVEREIGNTY
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat May 15, 2021 11:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 am
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm If the world is the best possible world, then how does the presence of cancer make it better than a world without cancer?
I cannot see how sickness and suffering could be part of the original purpose of a loving God.
If the world is the best possible world, then how does the presence of cancer make it better than a world without cancer? The obvious answer to this simple question is that the world would be a much better place without cancer. The world we live in is apparently not the best possible world. If God exists, then he has failed to create the best of all possible worlds.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 am Biblically God is not "failing" to do His best he is PREPARING us to enjoy His best.
Is cancer a part of that preparation? If it is, then I'm left wondering what God is preparing us for if his preparation involves a painful, debilitating, and deadly disease.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 4:10 am Biblically God is not "failing" to do His best he is PREPARING us to enjoy His best.
Is cancer a part of that preparation?
No, cancer and human suffering are a consequence of the natural conditions in which where we find ourselves. I believe we are prepared for God's best by learning to put faith in His son Jesus.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:51 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:37 pm
Is cancer a part of that preparation?
No, cancer and human suffering are a consequence of the natural conditions in which where we find ourselves. I believe we are prepared for God's best by learning to put faith in His son Jesus.
I'd rather trust somebody who is currently demonstrating goodness by disallowing cancer to harm people. If God can't handle that now, then it seems foolish to believe that he'll ever do it.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Purple Knight »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm The philosopher Gottfried Leibniz argued that this is "the best of all possible worlds" to free God from blame for the world's troubles. In other words, this world, warts and all, is the best God could have done. I'm left wondering, though, why this world is the best possible.
A decent answer is that this world is a testing ground and it needs horrible things in order to test people properly. Cancer is horrible because we make it horrible. We fight and we struggle and we do anything and everything to preserve our lives, even kill ourselves to death with heavy metals and radiation. If we're really not dead and disappeared upon death, we just brought all that on ourselves for probably little or no reason.

I have a topic on this.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38226

If it's all just a nightmare, then are there any evils in the world? Real evils? Well... We hear the argument from evil all the time, in a hundred different forms, buuuuut.... There's no one complaining that hard that God lets them have nightmares.

Being the person in the nightmare, I have a different idea. But do I wake up, feel relief, and at that point it seems to me not such a big deal? If I do, maybe that's what's artificial. If I feel relief that it never really happened and that's basically all I feel, I dispute that. I think I might have been drugged or my consciousness messed with. Why? It's my suffering, and I've suffered just as much even if it turns out not to be real. It was real while I was in it.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 pm
A decent answer is that this world is a testing ground and it needs horrible things in order to test people properly.
A testing ground for what? Eventual nonexistence. How much practice does one need for that?

Yes, you qualify. You've achieved what all living beings eventually achieve. Nothingness. Here's your brass ring.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #9

Post by brunumb »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 pm A decent answer is that this world is a testing ground and it needs horrible things in order to test people properly. Cancer is horrible because we make it horrible.
That might have a smidgen of merit if it was based on a level playing field for everyone. But it isn't. Why test an infant by giving it some incurable and painful disease? Why do some people live long healthy and happy lives with no apparent test at all? The reality is that there are no gods and no tests. Diseases are an unfortunate by-product of the evolution of living things. And cancer is horrible because it is horrible.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Purple Knight wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:08 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm The philosopher Gottfried Leibniz argued that this is "the best of all possible worlds" to free God from blame for the world's troubles. In other words, this world, warts and all, is the best God could have done. I'm left wondering, though, why this world is the best possible.
A decent answer is that this world is a testing ground and it needs horrible things in order to test people properly. Cancer is horrible because we make it horrible. We fight and we struggle and we do anything and everything to preserve our lives, even kill ourselves to death with heavy metals and radiation. If we're really not dead and disappeared upon death, we just brought all that on ourselves for probably little or no reason.
Then your answers to the questions I posted in the OP is that yes, the world would be better without cancer, and therefore God could have created a better, cancer-free world. God has failed to make the world better because we humans, part of what he created, messed it all up. God's plan went awry because we fouled up his plan--which to me is a strange consequence considering that God is perfect and all-mighty.

I see some other obvious problems with this viewpoint of yours. I don't see how we puny little people could cause trouble for God. And as far as cancer is concerned, many of us do indeed act in ways that can cause us to get cancer, but many cancer victims did nothing at all to bring on the disease. Regardless of our habits, though, none of us created cancer. If God created the world, then he created cancer.

My response is that God cannot create a world better than this one because he is limited, or he didn't make human welfare his top priority. As Woody Allen quipped:
If it turns out that there is a God...the worst that you can say about him is that basically he's an underachiever.