What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I have heard some Christians say that it is unChristian to watch anything on TV that is rated R or that displays sex, adult language, and other indecent scenes. Personally, I find that standard to be highly restrictive and perhaps even impractical given the content on a lot of television programs nowadays. I was wondering if this was the way Christians are to really be or is this debatable and perhaps there's even another more lenient standard.

I know one counter would be that the Bible describes gory details and in some cases talks about sex. So how could reading or watching of such content be immoral?

What is the Christian position(s) on rated R movies?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Miles
Savant

Re: What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Post #21

Post by Miles »

Miles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:34 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:19 am
Miles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 am
Well I believe he does; do you mind?

Be my guest. Ignore your Bible and believe whatever you like.

I dont ignore the bible, I ignore your reading of the bible. Any problem with that?
Sure you ignore it, at least in the sense that you disregard its implications, such as god does indeed love violence and basks in immorality (for examples of each see post 14 ).

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:04 pm .The passage you posted is harder to argue against, but to play devil's advocate, I can bring up passages like what Joey brought up:
Ezekiel 23:20
“There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
Watching something is not the same as lusting something. But, obviously, when watching something, there is a risk for lust.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Sure you ignore it, at least in the sense that you disregard its implications, such as god does indeed love violence and basks in immorality (for examples of each see post ).

No I do not ignore the bible; I only ignore the implictions of your take on the bible. I do not believe your take, your reading or your interpretation of scripure is correct at all and fully reject everything you say as to the implications. See links above provided that, I believe, fully debunk your points.

As for the implications of MY understanding, those I fully accept. I do hope that that is not problematic for you,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:19 am
Miles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:18 am
Well I believe he does; do you mind?

Be my guest. Ignore your Bible and believe whatever you like.

I dont ignore the bible, I ignore your reading of the bible. Any problem with that?
Sure you ignore it, at least in the sense that you disregard its implications, such as god does indeed love violence and basks in immorality (for examples of each see post ).

If only to me, "ignore" is too harsh a term. As one discusses such, they can't hardly ignore it.

But it does seem as if some folks'd discount tales of a god wreaking havoc on a people and planet to secure the notion of a 'loving god'.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:59 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am Might also depend on the movie itself. Not all R rated movies have the same amount of 'X' that denotes an R rating.
And that 'X' is quite a mixture of things; violence, profanity, nudity, sexuality, drug use, and perhaps others. I can see Christians being concerned perhaps about nudity, profanity, and drug use, but not violence and sexuality. The bible itself might get an R rating based on those last two alone. I wonder how many Christians would recommend those under 17 not be exposed to the bible?

Tcg
I'm sure they'd consider the bible PG as God can't do anything 'bad'.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!