Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

How did the Floodwaters Recede?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Genesis 8 states this about the waters receding after the flood:
8 But God remembered Noah and all the wild animals and the livestock that were with him in the ark, and he sent a wind over the earth, and the waters receded. 2 Now the springs of the deep and the floodgates of the heavens had been closed, and the rain had stopped falling from the sky. 3 The water receded steadily from the earth. At the end of the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down.
Ignoring the odd statement that after the hundred and fifty days the water had gone down given that Noah and crew stayed in the ark for over a year, how did the water recede? The only hint we have is that it was due to a wind that God sent. Does this suggest evaporation?

Perhaps more importantly doesn't the phrase the "water receded steadily from the earth" imply that the receding was uniform? In other words, it receded from the earth at the same rate all over the earth? If so, how could this receding be responsible for the creation of the Grand Canyon or other canyons around the world as some claim? Unless there were a plug pulled somewhere that would cause draining faster in one area than another, there'd be no reason for water to flow from one area to another. We read that the "springs of the deep had been closed" so this is not a viable option.

Given that the Bible reports a steady and uniform decrease in water to end the flood, how could it be responsible for the formation of canyons such as the Grand Canyon?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Re: How did the Floodwaters Recede?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm Matter sinking into the ocean would make water levels rise not go down.
I agree, I think that is one of the reasons why water level seemed to rise. However, after things had sunken and there was many thousand feet of water on top of the sunken matter, it begun to be compressed. And slowly all that was sunken has been compressed and for example oil was formed. Now that people pump it out, we can assume water level to go even more down, which can cause many surprising earthquakes in near future.

Savant

Post #32

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm In that case you should be able to enlighten us on how the edges would have looked if the erosion was extremely slow. Please do.
If it would have taken long time, it would look more like this (note necessary green, but the form):
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/middle- ... 892212.jpg

It would be more rounded and even.
brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm...If you do a little extra-biblical research on plate tectonics and what drives it, you will hopefully see just how credible it is. ...
I have read about it and it is ridiculous and not credible. It defies gravity and logic.

Tcg
Savant

Post #33

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:28 pm
Tcg wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 pm Matter sinking into the ocean would make water levels rise not go down.
I agree, I think that is one of the reasons why water level seemed to rise. However, after things had sunken and there was many thousand feet of water on top of the sunken matter, it begun to be compressed.
Why would it compress?
And slowly all that was sunken has been compressed and for example oil was formed. Now that people pump it out, we can assume water level to go even more down, which can cause many surprising earthquakes in near future.
This doesn't add up. As we know, due to climate change water levels are rising.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #34

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:29 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm In that case you should be able to enlighten us on how the edges would have looked if the erosion was extremely slow. Please do.
If it would have taken long time, it would look more like this (note necessary green, but the form):
https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/z/middle- ... 892212.jpg

It would be more rounded and even.
A pretty picture but it it no way relates to what happened in the Grand Canyon. Erosion carries sediment away. That aside, please explain how the sediments in the Grand Canyon became rock all the way to the top in such a short amount of time.
1213 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:29 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:40 pm...If you do a little extra-biblical research on plate tectonics and what drives it, you will hopefully see just how credible it is. ...
I have read about it and it is ridiculous and not credible. It defies gravity and logic.
I have read the Bible and it is ridiculous and not credible. It defies science and logic.

Back to plate tectonics, it doesn't defy gravity at all. Gravity is actually the weakest of the fundamental forces. Planes appear to defy gravity. The builders of the pyramids seem to have defied gravity. Massive horizontal forces pushing plates together can overcome gravity. The greater force wins. That's how mountains form. No God-magic necessary.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #35

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm A pretty picture but it it no way relates to what happened in the Grand Canyon. Erosion carries sediment away. That aside, please explain how the sediments in the Grand Canyon became rock all the way to the top in such a short amount of time.
I believe it happened because there was lot of water on top of it and the weight of the water compressed it and solidified it to some extent. When the water level begun to get lower, it was not as solid as today, which is why the erosion was fast after the flood.
brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm...Back to plate tectonics, it doesn't defy gravity at all. Gravity is actually the weakest of the fundamental forces. Planes appear to defy gravity. The builders of the pyramids seem to have defied gravity. Massive horizontal forces pushing plates together can overcome gravity. The greater force wins. ...
Ok, sorry, I was not accurate enough. What I meant is "weight of an object is the force acting on the object due to gravity", W = mg. Meaning, when there is great mass, it causes great force. If we compare for example weight of Mount Everest to weight of some area near the level of ocean, there is a great difference. For example Mount Everest would cause force to crust that is about 150 MPa. So, to lift that, one would need greater upward force. And the official theory can't give anything like that. If the official plate tectonics theory would be correct, earth not have such mountains, because the weight would level things down.

Savant

Post #36

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm ...
Why would it compress?
Because the weight of the water.
Tcg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm...This doesn't add up. As we know, due to climate change water levels are rising.
I think that is a ridiculous belief, but please explain why do you think water level is rising and what proves it is because of climate change?

POI
Prodigy

Post #37

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:35 pm I think that is a ridiculous belief
Yea, believing in the 'flood' story is not a ridiculous belief :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

brunumb
Savant

Post #38

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:34 pm
brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm A pretty picture but it it no way relates to what happened in the Grand Canyon. Erosion carries sediment away. That aside, please explain how the sediments in the Grand Canyon became rock all the way to the top in such a short amount of time.
I believe it happened because there was lot of water on top of it and the weight of the water compressed it and solidified it to some extent. When the water level begun to get lower, it was not as solid as today, which is why the erosion was fast after the flood.
brunumb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:02 pm...Back to plate tectonics, it doesn't defy gravity at all. Gravity is actually the weakest of the fundamental forces. Planes appear to defy gravity. The builders of the pyramids seem to have defied gravity. Massive horizontal forces pushing plates together can overcome gravity. The greater force wins. ...
Ok, sorry, I was not accurate enough. What I meant is "weight of an object is the force acting on the object due to gravity", W = mg. Meaning, when there is great mass, it causes great force. If we compare for example weight of Mount Everest to weight of some area near the level of ocean, there is a great difference. For example Mount Everest would cause force to crust that is about 150 MPa. So, to lift that, one would need greater upward force. And the official theory can't give anything like that. If the official plate tectonics theory would be correct, earth not have such mountains, because the weight would level things down.
So a few months under water caused the sediments to compress into rock and in the same time frame get eroded to form the canyon. Hmmm.

Measurements show that Everest continues to rise in height every year.

All you have presented is unsupported fanciful musings, alongside a heap of science denial. None of it has a shred of credibility.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #39

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:35 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:41 pm...This doesn't add up. As we know, due to climate change water levels are rising.
I think that is a ridiculous belief, but please explain why do you think water level is rising and what proves it is because of climate change?
Because those who keep track of such occurrences are reporting the fact that sea levels are rising. NOAA is one such organization:

Is sea level rising?
Yes, sea level is rising at an increasing rate.

Global sea level has been rising over the past century, and the rate has increased in recent decades. In 2014, global sea level was 2.6 inches above the 1993 average—the highest annual average in the satellite record (1993-present). Sea level continues to rise at a rate of about one-eighth of an inch per year.

Higher sea levels mean that deadly and destructive storm surges push farther inland than they once did, which also means more frequent nuisance flooding. Disruptive and expensive, nuisance flooding is estimated to be from 300 percent to 900 percent more frequent within U.S. coastal communities than it was just 50 years ago.

The two major causes of global sea level rise are thermal expansion caused by warming of the ocean (since water expands as it warms) and increased melting of land-based ice, such as glaciers and ice sheets. The oceans are absorbing more than 90 percent of the increased atmospheric heat associated with emissions from human activity.

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/sealevel.html
Can you provide any sources that support your assertion that they are dropping due to oil extraction?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #40

Post by Tcg »

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom