Another Circular Circular.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Another Circular Circular.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

Apparently due to the pandemic, the JWs have taken to mailing out their circulars rather than knocking on doors and handing them out personally or leaving them in mailboxes if they get no answer. The latest I've gotten in the mail asks, "How do you view the future?" As is often the case, the first part refers to the Bible to answer the question on the cover and the second part purports to answer the question, "Can we really believe what the Bible says?" Oddly the second part contains a total of eight biblical references to support the claim that one can.

Does it make logical sense to accept the verses supporting the Bible as evidence the Bible should be believed?

Do some who receive this circular circular not notice its circular nature?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Another Circular Circular.

Post #111

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 pm I've never had a JW approach me on the street.
In recent times tend to approach people less in favor setting up public literature stands which enable us to be more visible to a larger number of people, especially in city areas.

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #112

William wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:03 pm
If I am correct about this, then the JWOrg is really an instrument of Roman/Greek ideas of god
No, jw.org is a website.

WHAT IS JW.ORG?

jw.org (www.jw.org) is the official website of Jehovahs Witnesses.

Source: https://www.jw.org/en/library/books/?start=48

FURTHER READING : Activities of Jehovah’s Witnesses
https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/activities/

RELATED POSTS
What are Jehovah's Witnesses literature stands?
viewtopic.php?p=1058509#p1058509

How can I contact Jehovah's Witnesses?
viewtopic.php?p=1058289#p1058289

Where can I download Jehovahs Witness literature [pamphlets and books] for free?
viewtopic.php?p=1058426#p1058426

What is the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 41#p898341
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

William
Savant

Post #113

Post by William »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:32 pm
Starting with the bible of course.

I myself see Christianity as something which was most likely created by Romans and Greeks in an effort to hijack another cultures religious belief and make it their own.

That is why the Christian script contains ideas to do with Father-God figures, the need for gods to look like humans, the need for gods to be sacrificed on behalf of humans, the need for images of gods to be worshiped, the need for opposing gods to be able to stuff up plans of other gods...the list goes on.

If I am correct about this, then the JWOrg is really an instrument of Roman/Greek ideas of god, rather than the Hebrew idea of "Jehovah".

That is also why I engage with listening to what Rabbis and the Hebrew language have to say when it comes to things to do with what the Christians refer to as 'The Old Testament" because it removes all the Roman/Greek overtones, giving a more pure rendering of the meaning the Hebrew Culture has on any particular word written in their holy books.

When I want to know something about a culture, I ask those within that culture, not those without.
No, jw.org is a website.
Wherein did I use a "." when writing JWOrg? It is simply short for "Organization" - another way of saying 'Denomination' or "Sect"...et al.

William
Savant

Post #114

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #110]
I don't see it quite like that. If that is a deliberate policy to Hi- jack existing religions. I see the Hebrew god as just like the Middle-Eastern tribal gods, but with an advantage - laws to keep them separate. Laws that Paul sidelined to make the Judean God a Hellenistic one, with the Jesus -figure turned into a Greek demi- god to keep up with the religions of Isis and Mithras. And Christianity had the popular appeal and probably the appeal of apparent historicity. I see it half as a lucky combination and half as inevitable development (evolution 8-) ) of the religion.
I have to take history into consideration and regard the treatment of the Jewish people as supporting evidence of Rome through Christianity subverting all things Jewish, even up to the time of Nazi Germany, a Christian influenced society still using the Roman systems of control/domination et al.

We may be informed that Roman Rule died with the fall of the Roman Civilization, but that is plainly not true...a case of "a Roman by any other name is still a Roman."

There were concerted efforts to displace and eradicate all sign of Hebrew existence, and fortunately that did not occur so we have access today, to information from representatives of the Jewish community willing to explain their culture directly so that we do not need to rely on Roman/Greek interpretations.

Something I think Greek/Roman culture was attempting to avoid...as historic evidence supports.

Tcg
Savant

Post #115

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:27 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pmI've never had a JW approach me on the street.
The quote you've attributed to benchwarmer was my comment.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #116

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:32 pm
If I am correct about this, then the JWOrg is really an instrument of Roman/Greek ideas of god
No, jw.org is a website.

WHAT IS JW.ORG?

jw.org (www.jw.org) is the official website of Jehovahs Witnesses.
I'm finding a common theme many of these circulars rely on. Many ask the question, "CAN WE REALLY BELIEVE WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS?" and then of course quotes the Bible to support the idea that we can. I shouldn't be surprised that I received another circular circular, the odds seem to be that is more likely than not.

I can't find any JW circulars that discuss the Bible and use something other than the Bible to support a claim that it should be trusted. Granted I'm not going to waste too much time searching for such a document so I may have overlooked it. I found one that claimed millions had been helped by the Bible but as is to be expected no support for that claim was provided. It could lead to uncomfortable discussions of how this statistic was determined. I suppose the target audience is expected to simply nod in agreement with the claim. Questions such as, "how do you know that?" would be quite inconvenient though exceptionally pertinent.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #117

Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:57 pmI've never had a JW approach me on the street.

Tcg
Sorry, duly corrected. As I said while we for approach people, in urban areas (pandemic) we often set up literature stands. Have you never seen one?

Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #118

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:37 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:05 pm

Tcg
Sorry, duly corrected. As I said while we for approach people, in ruban areas (pandemic) we often set up literature stands. Have you never seen one?
I don't know what ruban areas are, but no thankfully I've never seen stands where circular arguments are presented as truth. It's bad enough to receive them in the mail or left illegally in my mailbox when I refuse to answer the door during a recruitment drive in my neighborhood.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #119

Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 am ... I refuse to answer the door ...
Fair enough, I personally answer the door and engage with people that take time to call on me if its not inconvenient for me. If nothing else I might be an opportunity to help them if I believe I can. But everyoneis free to do as they want in a free society.

No harm no foul.

JW

PS: Typo "urban" ( thanks ) .

Tcg
Savant

Post #120

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:27 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:17 am ... I refuse to answer the door ...
No harm no foul.

JW
Of course there's a foul. Leaving circulars in a U.S. Postal mailbox that aren't sent through U.S. mail is illegal. I guess some who claim to follow the Bible see no problem with ignoring Romans 13.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom