Responsibility

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Responsibility

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

You get caught breaking the speed limit, you are responsible for the ticket and or court costs, if not more.
Breaking the speed limit without getting caught still opens you to the possibility of potential repercussions.
Yet, you aren't all knowing, powerful, present, etc.
You're simply a mortal, flawed living animal.

All this said, still, people claim we are responsible for our own sins, and the sins of 'our fathers', so to speak (according to some). This same sin was created (or allowed to be created) by the modern christian god (again, according to some).

For discussion:
Where's god's responsibility in all this?
What's god responsibility for when it comes to sin and the everlasting life some claim it can provide? Does providing a sacrifice suffice? Does god not have any responsibility in this - does it get an excuse?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18077
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 660 times
Contact:

Re: Responsibility

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 pm
Yet again, I ask, how does this pertain to the thread?
Recap :

THE COMMENT
"The God of the bible is depicted as always loving, the personification of love in fact"

THE CLAIM
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 am You're wrong based on supplied texts.
THE NEEDED EVIDENCE

1) what the writer, writjng in the Greek language literally meant by the word "hate" .

2) whether one accepts the premise that being or acting in a loving way negates the simlumtaneous existence of hate of any kind.

3) What is meant by the expression "the personification of love"
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: Responsibility

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:29 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:26 pm
Yet again, I ask, how does this pertain to the thread?
Recap :

THE COMMENT
"The God of the bible is depicted as always loving, the personification of love in fact"

THE CLAIM
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 am You're wrong based on supplied texts.
THE NEEDED EVIDENCE

1) what the writer, writjng in the Greek language literally meant by the word "hate" .

2) whether one accepts the premise that being or acting in a loving way negates the simlumtaneous existence of hate of any kind.

3) What is meant by the expression "the personification of love"
To paraphrase, it has nothing to do with the thread.
Thanks for participating anyway!!

EDIT:
Or maybe, it's the human's responsibility to learn the original text the bible was written in and THEN understand what god means.... ignoring what's literally said....?!?!?
God created all that is but can't be bothered to make sure its word is provided accurately in modern language that its creation can understand to fully grasp the concept of an infinite being?
Wow - how do I get that job?!?!?!?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18077
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 660 times
Contact:

Re: Responsibility

Post #23

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm
To paraphrase, it has nothing to do with the thread.
Thanks for participating anyway!!
No thank YOU!

Was there anything that is relevant to the thread you would like to say in response to my comment (I think it is only fair to warn you if you challenge me or claim I am wrong about something in the bible, you will be asked to support your accusation with evidence). HERE is what I wrote
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:08 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:21 am
What's god responsibility for when it comes to sin and the everlasting life some claim it can provide? Does providing a sacrifice suffice? Does god not have any responsibility in this - does it get an excuse?
  • Sin : God s responsible for establishing what is to be considered a sin.
  • Everlasting life, : God s responsible for the decision who lives and who dies and under what conditions. Biblically those that do not give him the respect he is due and refuse to recognise him as a an intelligent person rather than a just an impersonal force will be killed off like so much garbage.





JW


PLEASE NOTE I make no claims here, I am simply expressing what I believe based on the bible. Please take all sentences to be preceeded by the premise "I believe ..."
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: Responsibility

Post #24

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:37 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm
To paraphrase, it has nothing to do with the thread.
Thanks for participating anyway!!
No thank YOU!

Was there anything that is relevant to the thread you would like to say in response to my comment (I think it is only fair to warn you if you challenge me or claim I am wrong about something in the bible, you will be asked to support your accusation with evidence).


JW
Friend, I already provided quotes from your bible to show your opinion is wrong - two maybe three times. I'm sorry you won't accept that and refuse to return to the thread.
Happy posting anyway!
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18077
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 660 times
Contact:

Re: Responsibility

Post #25

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:39 pm
Friend, I already provided quotes from your bible to show your opinion is wrong - two maybe three times. I'm sorry you won't accept that and refuse to return to the thread.
Happy posting anyway!
Apparently your quotes have nothing to do with thread. I refuse to address those scriptures. Unless of course you have changed your mind and the scriptures have something to do with the thread.
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:31 pm
To paraphrase, it has nothing to do with the thread.

Which is it. Do you want to discuss those scriptures or is a discussion on the scriptures you brought up irrelevant? Your scriptures have something to do with the thread but any response I might attempt has {quote} "nothing to do with the thread"? Is that how it goes?


JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: Responsibility

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #25]
Apparently your quotes have nothing to do with thread.
In the manner of correcting your POV on the thread subject, yes they did. I'm sorry you won't see that.
I refuse to address those scriptures.
Because they prove you wrong, we see. That doesn't change the fact that those scriptures from your bible refute your POV. Ignore all you want - they won't magically go away from canon. Unless, that is, you get on board with the next 'edit' and amend it to fit their needs. I suppose that's possible.
Do you want to discuss those scriptures or is [this] a discussion on the scriptures you brought up irrelevant?
You seem upset based on your apparent missing word in the quoted sentence. No need to be upset; people are wrong all the time. The thread is about responsibility, which I addressed already based on your apparent position.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18077
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 660 times
Contact:

Re: Responsibility

Post #27

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #25]
Apparently your quotes have nothing to do with thread.
In the manner of correcting your POV on the thread subject, yes they did. .
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 amYou said: The God of the bible is depicted as always loving, the personification'of love in fact The bible says: Romans 9:13 says that God hated Esau ... Psalm 5:5 says, "The arrogant cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all who do wrong."...There are six things the Lord hates.. . Proverbs 6
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm... those scriptures from your bible refute your POV.
Okay so regarding those scriptures and your conclusion ... may I respond ? Does my response have to be "Yes, O Master, Thou Great All knowing One" or may I challenge you?




JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

User avatar
Purple Knight
Guru
Posts: 2113
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm
Has thanked: 670 times
Been thanked: 407 times

Re: Responsibility

Post #28

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:21 amAll this said, still, people claim we are responsible for our own sins, and the sins of 'our fathers', so to speak (according to some).
My answer is that individualism is a luxury, not a right. It's among the very best of things to have, and if I were designing a society point-buy-style, it's one of the things I'd spend the most points on getting, because it's important to the welfare and happiness of people that they aren't punished for what they can't control.

But individualism simply isn't part of reality on the level people want it to be, people who take it for granted. In reality, if every time you see a Black person, they attack you, you're eventually going to start attacking Blacks on sight. Same for a member of an aggressive family. Family feuds have historically been a thing. People trading blows on racism has been a thing too. It's historically quite unique in Western society to have one oppressed party and one oppressor. Historically this has been more people trading blows. For example, Jews being insular and treating other Jews favourably out of necessity, then others noticing, look how they are see, and treating them worse, and then they become even more insular.

Another sad reality is death: People who are responsible for things sometimes up and die. Part of that is that if your ancestors are responsible for some injustice, and then die, either the injustice remains or you pay for it. If my mother cut the arms and legs off some hapless fool and then dies, I can either let that injustice remain or I can give him the support he's owed for the rest of his life. Without a government to nickel and dime rich people and do this for me, this is going to be the choice I have, and it's easy to see what the right one is.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 amYes, the righteous will be protected from the wicked in paradise, just as present day congregation are protected from bad influences by disfellowhipping
While my personal opinion is that JW's go too far on this, disfellowshipping for things like watching the wrong movies, I'm going to take a massive stand for this practice in general, and even admit that it's probably better to err on the side of keeping things clean.

As the child of a raging alcoholic, I know how impossible it is not to be messed up by mere proximity to people who do bad things.

Rotten vegetables release ethylene. Ethylene triggers the rot process in other vegetables. Just as this is a thing, people become bad out of necessity to deal with environments in which people around them, who can affect them, are bad. I was also taught that throwing food away is basically a sin. This has stuck, and I try my best not to throw away food. When I fail to throw away something I really know ought to be thrown away, I am justly rewarded with a vegetable drawer full of rotten vegetables that didn't have to be rotten.

User avatar
JehovahsWitness
Savant
Posts: 18077
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:03 am
Has thanked: 433 times
Been thanked: 660 times
Contact:

Re: Responsibility

Post #29

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:57 pm
While my personal opinion is that JW's go too far on this, disfellowshipping for things like watching the wrong movies,
So you feel confident enough you know enough about Jehovah's Witnesses to say they consider "watching the wrong movies" a disfellowshiping offense?



JW


Statement from the official website of Jehovahs Witnesses
Image
Source: https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesse ... rtainment/


To learn more please go to other posts related to...

JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES , SHUNNING/DISFELLOWSHIPPING and ... CHILD ABUSE
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681


"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:32 am
Has thanked: 1510 times
Been thanked: 817 times

Re: Responsibility

Post #30

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:19 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm [Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #25]
Apparently your quotes have nothing to do with thread.
In the manner of correcting your POV on the thread subject, yes they did. .
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:50 amYou said: The God of the bible is depicted as always loving, the personification'of love in fact The bible says: Romans 9:13 says that God hated Esau ... Psalm 5:5 says, "The arrogant cannot stand in Your presence; You hate all who do wrong."...There are six things the Lord hates.. . Proverbs 6
nobspeople wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:52 pm... those scriptures from your bible refute your POV.
Okay so regarding those scriptures and your conclusion ... may I respond ? Does my response have to be "Yes, O Master, Thou Great All knowing One" or may I challenge you?




JW
The poor attitude you display in your responses when you're upset isn't becoming at all. At this point, I couldn't care less if you respond or not.
Have a, well, you know....
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Post Reply