Can perfection be attained on Earth through sacrifice of your possessions??

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Can perfection be attained on Earth through sacrifice of your possessions??

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

New International Version
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Jesus said perfection is possible?

For discussion:
1) Was jesus not being truthful when he said you can be perfect?
2) Or did he mean to sell everything, follow him and THEN be perfect in heaven?
3) As a christian, have you sold everything and followed jesus as he commanded?

Other translations available to gleam what may have been 'meant', if you don't like to understand what's literally written in the above provided quote.
New Living Translation
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

English Standard Version
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Berean Study Bible
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

Berean Literal Bible
Jesus was saying to him, "If you desire to be perfect, go, sell what you are possessing, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in the heavens; and come, follow Me."

King James Bible
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

New King James Version
Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

New American Standard Bible
Jesus said to him, “If you want to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

NASB 1995
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

NASB 1977
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Amplified Bible
Jesus answered him, “If you wish to be perfect [that is, have the spiritual maturity that accompanies godly character with no moral or ethical deficiencies], go and sell what you have and give [the money] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me [becoming My disciple, believing and trusting in Me and walking the same path of life that I walk].”

Christian Standard Bible
“If you want to be perfect,” Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
“If you want to be perfect,” Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

American Standard Version
Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Yeshua said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor and you will have treasure in Heaven, and come after me.”

Contemporary English Version
Jesus replied, "If you want to be perfect, go sell everything you own! Give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come and be my follower."

Douay-Rheims Bible
Jesus saith to him: If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me.

English Revised Version
Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Good News Translation
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven; then come and follow me."

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, sell what you own. Give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then follow me!"

International Standard Version
Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the destitute, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come back and follow me."

Literal Standard Version
Jesus said to him, “If you will to be perfect, go away, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven, and come, follow Me.”

NET Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

New Heart English Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Weymouth New Testament
"If you desire to be perfect," replied Jesus, "go and sell all that you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have wealth in Heaven; and come, follow me."

World English Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Young's Literal Translation
Jesus said to him, 'If thou dost will to be perfect, go away, sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, follow me.'
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Can perfection be attained on Earth through sacrifice of your possessions??

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:51 pm New International Version
Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Jesus said perfection is possible?...
I think it depends on, in what sense perfect. In this case I think it could be perfect in loving God and neighbor.

But, what Jesus said doesn’t necessary mean that the act itself makes one perfect. It means just that if one wants to be perfect, he does so. After that he could eventually become perfect at some point, in some way.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:57 pm

Jesus said perfection is possible?...
I think it depends on, in what sense perfect. In this case I think it could be perfect in loving God and neighbor.
If Jesus meant to qualify "perfection" in some way, as you've done here, don't you think he would have done it? Or do you think he couldn't do it and actually needs your help?

But, what Jesus said doesn’t necessary mean that the act itself makes one perfect.
Sure it does. Jesus said to be perfect do X, Y, and Z and you will have treasure in heaven. No "ifs," "ands," or "buts" about it.

tam
Savant

Post #4

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

This is a specific message to a specific person who ASKED what he lacked. Not everyone lacks the same thing. Though it may demonstrate a greater love and/or faith for something other than Christ.

Context:

Just then a man came up to Jesus and inquired, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to obtain eternal life?” 17“Why do you ask Me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.” 18“Which ones?” the man asked. Jesus answered, “ ‘Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness, honor your father and mother, and love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“All these I have kept,” said the young man. “What do I still lack?” 21 Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.” 22When the young man heard this, he went away in sorrow, because he had great wealth.

That being said, yes, it is possible to be perfect, in the following way (from matt 5):

“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Perfect in love. Showing mercy and love to both neighbor and enemy.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

tam wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:35 pm This is a specific message to a specific person who ASKED what he lacked. Not everyone lacks the same thing. Though it may demonstrate a greater love and/or faith for something other than Christ.
If it was just for him, why should we care? Does that also apply to every question Jesus was asked by specific individuals? It seems to me that there might not be too many lessons left as guidance for us based on that interpretation. I basically see it as another Christian loophole to avoid following the less appealing teachings of Jesus.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

tam
Savant

Post #6

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
brunumb wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 pm
tam wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:35 pm This is a specific message to a specific person who ASKED what he lacked. Not everyone lacks the same thing. Though it may demonstrate a greater love and/or faith for something other than Christ.
If it was just for him, why should we care? Does that also apply to every question Jesus was asked by specific individuals? It seems to me that there might not be too many lessons left as guidance for us based on that interpretation. I basically see it as another Christian loophole to avoid following the less appealing teachings of Jesus.
You can see it however you want. But the fact remains that Christ was responding to what that young man lacked, based on a question the young man asked. Christ didn't even seek the young man out to tell him what he lacked; the young man sought Christ out and asked.

As for loopholes, I mean, a person can lie to others and even to themselves, but there is no point in lying to God, to His Son. They already know what is in us.

Peace again.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

bjs1
Sage

Post #7

Post by bjs1 »

No. Jesus was saying that perfection is impossible. The point of that passage is that the guy who thought he was already perfect (“All these I have kept since I was a boy”) was still caught in greed. If it hadn’t been money, it would have been something else. The central message of this passage is that, no matter how good we think we are, no one is perfect.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

For discussion:
1) Was jesus not being truthful when he said you can be perfect?
2) Or did he mean to sell everything, follow him and THEN be perfect in heaven?
3) As a christian, have you sold everything and followed jesus as he commanded?

Other translations available to gleam what may have been 'meant', if you don't like to understand what's literally written in the above provided quote.
New Living Translation
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go and sell all your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

English Standard Version
Jesus said to him, “If you would be perfect, go, sell what you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.”

Berean Study Bible
Jesus told him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

Berean Literal Bible
Jesus was saying to him, "If you desire to be perfect, go, sell what you are possessing, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in the heavens; and come, follow Me."

King James Bible
Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

New King James Version
Jesus said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

New American Standard Bible
Jesus said to him, “If you want to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

NASB 1995
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

NASB 1977
Jesus said to him, “If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me.”

Amplified Bible
Jesus answered him, “If you wish to be perfect [that is, have the spiritual maturity that accompanies godly character with no moral or ethical deficiencies], go and sell what you have and give [the money] to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me [becoming My disciple, believing and trusting in Me and walking the same path of life that I walk].”

Christian Standard Bible
“If you want to be perfect,” Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Holman Christian Standard Bible
“If you want to be perfect,” Jesus said to him, “go, sell your belongings and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow Me.”

American Standard Version
Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that which thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Yeshua said to him, “If you want to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give to the poor and you will have treasure in Heaven, and come after me.”

Contemporary English Version
Jesus replied, "If you want to be perfect, go sell everything you own! Give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven. Then come and be my follower."

Douay-Rheims Bible
Jesus saith to him: If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me.

English Revised Version
Jesus said unto him, If thou wouldest be perfect, go, sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

Good News Translation
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor, and you will have riches in heaven; then come and follow me."

GOD'S WORD® Translation
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, sell what you own. Give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then follow me!"

International Standard Version
Jesus told him, "If you want to be perfect, go and sell what you own and give the money to the destitute, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come back and follow me."

Literal Standard Version
Jesus said to him, “If you will to be perfect, go away, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in Heaven, and come, follow Me.”

NET Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be perfect, go sell your possessions and give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

New Heart English Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Weymouth New Testament
"If you desire to be perfect," replied Jesus, "go and sell all that you have, and give to the poor, and you shall have wealth in Heaven; and come, follow me."

World English Bible
Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have, and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me."

Young's Literal Translation
Jesus said to him, 'If thou dost will to be perfect, go away, sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven, and come, follow me.'
The reported words of Jesus here are quite clear. There is really no room for disagreement that Jesus is claiming that perfection is possible. Of course, in spite of how clear it is we'll encounter disagreement as we already have. Not sure why, perhaps some thinks it takes away from the importance of Jesus reported sacrifice.

It pretty much illustrates the whole faith versus works issue. The reality is of course that the Bible doesn't resolve the conflict. The Bible at different places teaches both. In this passage it teaches works. Works that in this case require giving up one's possessions. Who wants to do that? Easier to claim Jesus didn't actually suggest that. The reality of course is that he reportedly did.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

cms

Post #9

Post by cms »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 pm No. Jesus was saying that perfection is impossible. The point of that passage is that the guy who thought he was already perfect (“All these I have kept since I was a boy”) was still caught in greed. If it hadn’t been money, it would have been something else. The central message of this passage is that, no matter how good we think we are, no one is perfect.
bjs1, Jesus was saying that perfection is definitely possible. All of the 10 commandments aren't mentioned. He admits to keeping only 6. And those 6 are different in Mark and Luke. Covetousness and having other gods before God are not mentioned. Man's definition of perfection is different from God's definition of perfection.

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:50 pm ...No "ifs," "ands," or "buts" about it.
If you read it again, you can see there is an “if”.