Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Christiantianity Gets Back to its Political Roots

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Christianity (and religion in general) gets back to its primary purpose:
Being a Tool for the State.
Since Constantine, the Church has been used to serve the interests of the State.
Before Constantine, Abraham invoked the name of 'God' to build and control his tribe.

Now we have the Russian Orthodox Church supporting the genocide against the Ukrainian people.
Since March 6th, when Kirill, the patriarch of Moscow and primate of the Russian Orthodox Church, gave an incendiary homily likening Russia’s invasion to a culture war against the West, plenty of questions have been asked about his role and his motives. Is he a tool of Vladimir Putin or Putin’s spiritual adviser? Is his vision of “Russky Mir” (“Russian World”) the basis for Putin’s war
https://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-co ... in-ukraine
There's nothing new under the Sun, but at least the Pope gets it:
"Pope Francis warned the leader of the Russian Orthodox Church not to be “Putin’s altar boy” and justify the Russian president’s invasion of Ukraine."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... h-ukraine/
[edit]
The question for debate: Is the primary purpose of religion to aid the State in its control of the populace?*

Last edited by Diogenes on Thu May 05, 2022 1:50 am, edited 3 times in total.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

pjharrison57
Student

Re: Christiantianity Gets Back to its Political Roots

Post #51

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to DrNoGods in post #49]
I may as well get off this site. I don't know what you can say and can't say. It seems that you can't say anything that has to do with God. The title of the site has the word Christianity in it. I don't get it. What is this site some kind of social meeting place or what? It doesn't make any sense.

otseng
Savant

Post #52

Post by otseng »

pjharrison57 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 pm [Replying to Clownboat in post #32]
Jesus's Kingdom is Heaven. You don't know that? Satan's kingdom is the world. Jesus is the King of Heaven. He didn't come to change this world; he came to save us out of it.
pjharrison57 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:29 pm [Replying to DrNoGods in post #49]
I may as well get off this site. I don't know what you can say and can't say. It seems that you can't say anything that has to do with God. The title of the site has the word Christianity in it. I don't get it. What is this site some kind of social meeting place or what? It doesn't make any sense.
Moderator Comment

The purpose of this forum is for civil debates on Christianity and any other religion. If you are not able to comply by this, you should seek another site to post on.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #53

Post by Diogenes »

pjharrison57 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:25 pm [Replying to Diogenes in post #48]

1. The title of the site is debating Christianity and Religion. If you can't use the bible, what kind of Christianity is it talking about.
2. Jesus does claim to be God. He is God.
John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 10:30 - I and my Father are one
John 8:58 - Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.

I could go on and on.
And you have. :) You appear to not carefully read either the rules of the forum or the posts you respond to. You've had two moderators and other posters explain this to you, but....

I explicitly wrote
Jesus never claimed to be God. The author of the 'Gospel' of John made this claim and misrepresented what Jesus actually said, according to the synoptic gospels.
... yet you quote John for your proposition.

New posters are welcomed here, particularly theists because we have a shortage of good debaters from that 'side.' The site is owned by a respected theist and Christian who wants both theists and non theists to be moderators. There is no debating site on the internet (that I am aware of) that tries harder to be fair. Just read the rules. One of the guidelines for successful debating on this subforum wisely counsels:
6. Realize that most participants here are strong debaters and have a vast knowledge of Christianity and the Bible (including non-theists). If you make any claims, be ready to support your claims with evidence if asked. Non-Biblical evidence would go far among non-theists.
I will add that many of the non theists here are former Christians and even former ministers who know the Bible as well as most theists. It is not persuasive to simply quote the Bible to people who may be more familiar with scripture than ... well... than even you. ;)
If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere. ;)

— Confucius

pjharrison57
Student

Post #54

Post by pjharrison57 »

[Replying to Diogenes in post #53]

Well goodbye. Because I eat, sleep and breath Jesus, so If I can't speak of him, it is not even worth being on the site. God bless you.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #55

Post by Diogenes »

Nothing demonstrates the union of politics and Christianity better than Putin's union with the church. In the meantime Putin attempts to poison Navalny while waging war and genocide on Ukraine.

— Confucius

Clownboat
Savant

Post #56

Post by Clownboat »

pjharrison57 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:46 pm [Replying to Diogenes in post #53]

Well goodbye. Because I eat, sleep and breath Jesus, so If I can't speak of him, it is not even worth being on the site. God bless you.
Another Christian leaving because they cannot follow the rules.
As this poster just said: "You will know them by their fruits".
The irony!
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb