Their witness does not agree

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Their witness does not agree

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"Now the chief priests and all the council sought testimony against Jesus to put him to death, but found none. For many bore false witness against him, but their testimonies did not agree." (Mark 14:55-56)

If the testimony of those witnesses was to be rejected because it didn't agree, how can anyone be blamed for rejecting the resurrection accounts in the gospels for the same reason?

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #191

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

Show me one story of a person that was dead for 3 days that returned to life. Otherwise you are only pretending that they are equal claims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 23916.html

Clownboat
Savant

Post #192

Post by Clownboat »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
Show me one story of a person that was dead for 3 days that returned to life. Otherwise you are only pretending that they are equal claims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonah

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 23916.html
Where in the Jonah story is his death mentioned?
Either way, the Bible is not an authority here, sorry.

Thanks for stories about people being wrongfully pronounced dead. This is common knowledge. I'm asking for a body that was actually dead for 3 days that reanimated.

I'm specifically asking for the mechanism that reverses the affects that begin to take place in a dead body within hours of death.

Decomposing bodies of 3 days do not reanimate and return to life.
I will retract this claim and amend my thinking if you can show such a statement to be incorrect.

Until that time...
a general rule of thumb is that brain cells begin to die after approximately 4-6 minutes of no blood-flow. After around 10 minutes, those cells will cease functioning, and be effectively dead.
https://gizmodo.com/how-long-does-your- ... 1457981280

Perhaps brains are not needed when decomposing bodies are coming back to life?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Yahwehismywitness
Scholar

Post #193

Post by Yahwehismywitness »

I'm specifically asking for the mechanism that reverses the affects that begin to take place in a dead body within hours of death.
What is the mechanism that reverses death within a few minutes or hours?

My understanding death is the one of the last mysteries, remaining largely unknowable - regardless of huge scientific advancements.

We have multiple accounts that death reversed but there is no explanation from science how this happens.

The child is not dead but asleep. Mark 5:39, Luke 7:11-15 and John 11:1-44 - three raised from the dead in the bible. Similar accounts we have today

FWI
Sage

Post #194

Post by FWI »

Athetotheist wrote:If the original writings weren't inspired, why couldn't there have been mistakes and fabrications in them?

This is irrelevant and only speculation. Where, something being inspired or not has nothing to do with its historical value or truthfulness. You cannot question writings that (presently) do not exist or suggest that they included mistakes and fabrications! We would need to read them first…The benefit of the doubt goes to the certain rules, which are related to historical writings, not the opinions of the skeptics or even the opinions of the varies religions…An original writer isn't going cause confusion or embarrassment among his brethren or colleagues (as well as, the other examples I included in my previous post), this is just the ages old understanding of common sense. You won't get many followers if your position can be discredited…Isn't this what the skeptics are seeking today and have been seeking for millenniums? So, it should be no surprise that there are issues, in certain areas.

However, there is no proof, evidence, fact, logic or sound reasoning that could ever cause anyone, who is unwilling to set aside their natural, automatic prejudice against believing in and yielding to the proper and historical reality, related to this subject. Natural bias and prejudice against God and the true follower of Him is a blinding factor, which cannot be ignored.

So, the real question to ask is: Why were the original writings destroyed in the first place? It seems obvious that some force, physical or otherwise was trying to stop the real truth from continuing and there is proof of this. Yet, this didn't work, but as time passed "doubts" were instilled (willingly or not). Which, brings us to today's skepticism, which is related to many currently recorded issues…

Clownboat
Savant

Post #195

Post by Clownboat »

Yahwehismywitness wrote:
What is the mechanism that reverses death within a few minutes or hours?

My understanding death is the one of the last mysteries, remaining largely unknowable - regardless of huge scientific advancements.

We have multiple accounts that death reversed but there is no explanation from science how this happens.

The child is not dead but asleep. Mark 5:39, Luke 7:11-15 and John 11:1-44 - three raised from the dead in the bible. Similar accounts we have today
I'm sorry, but you cannot point to stories in religious promotional material and pretend that it is history.

If there are real examples of dead bodies (for days) reanimating and returning to life, please share them with us.

That you believe claims in a holy book would make you a good Muslim. Pointing that out in debate is something you should perhaps avoid.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #196

Post by Athetotheist »

FWI wrote:The benefit of the doubt goes to the certain rules, which are related to historical writings, not the opinions of the skeptics or even the opinions of the varies religions…
Then how does Christianity's skepticism toward any other religion's claims carry any weight?
FWI wrote:An original writer isn't going cause confusion or embarrassment among his brethren or colleagues
An original writer isn't deliberately going to do so, but might end up doing so by not expecting his writing to be contrasted with others' writing on the same subject.
FWI wrote:However, there is no proof, evidence, fact, logic or sound reasoning that could ever cause anyone, who is unwilling to set aside their natural, automatic prejudice against believing in and yielding to the proper and historical reality, related to this subject. Natural bias and prejudice against God and the true follower of Him is a blinding factor, which cannot be ignored.
How do you know it isn't you being blinded by an automatic bias against other beliefs?
FWI wrote:So, the real question to ask is: Why were the original writings destroyed in the first place? It seems obvious that some force, physical or otherwise was trying to stop the real truth from continuing and there is proof of this. Yet, this didn't work, but as time passed "doubts" were instilled (willingly or not). Which, brings us to today's skepticism, which is related to many currently recorded issues…
You're assuming that the originals were destroyed and not simply lost. In any case, without the originals how are we to know what the "real truth" about them is? Who knows how many revisions they may have gone through with copyists trying to harmonize them? (The fact that they remain in such DISharmony indicates that any such effort wasn't entirely successful.)

FWI
Sage

Post #197

Post by FWI »

Clownboat wrote:Education. The greatest threat to religious beliefs.

There is no threat to God's truth! Because, the way that seems right to the non-believers, only leads to confusion and falsehood. This has been made clear for millenniums…The scientists and smart people over the centuries have made many statements such as: this surprised us, we have no explanation for that and we were wrong…

However, you still haven't supplied any historical evidence that claims that the body of the Christ was found and experienced decomposition. Yet, you did supply some facts about what happens to a normal human being, but the Christ wasn't like everyone else! It is also clear that God uses certain events (miracles) to show His concern for His creation.
Clownboat wrote:Now you are just pretending that the Bible is clear on its god concept. Readers know how false this claim is and need to go no further than Holy Huddle to see Christians argue with themselves about Trinity beliefs.

Sorry, but the bible is quite clear on the God concept, especially in the O.T. However, there is no applied force to assure that the concept is followed as recorded…This is clear, in the reality that about 95% of Christians believe in the Trinity doctrine. Yet, the response you gave has little to do with my statement, which was related to the resurrection of the dead…
Clownboat wrote:I do not share your imagination.

Neither, do I share in yours…
Clownboat wrote:Do bodies that have been decomposing (a known process) for 3 days have a mechanism for reanimating and returning to life? If your claim is that Jesus's dead body didn't decompose for some reason, please justify a position that goes against a known process.
Yes, bodies that have died and decomposed can be resurrected back to physical life and for many there is the possibility of being recreated in a non-physical form! This can be applied to hours or thousands of years, related to time of death…Where, the mechanism used is the great power of the Creator of our universe and the human being. Thus, (the) who and when is determined by God, not by man or their set of rules. The bible records 10 events, over about a 6000 thousand year period, which is related to the resurrections of the dead. Therefore, your disbelief in these recorded occurrences is a non-factor to me. I don't lose any sleep over what others may believe or write, that's their issues, not mine…

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #198

Post by Athetotheist »

FWI wrote:However, you still haven't supplied any historical evidence that claims that the body of the Christ was found and experienced decomposition.
Joseph Smith dug a hole looking for gold plates, yet you still haven't supplied any historical evidence that the hole was empty.
FWI wrote:The bible records 10 events, over about a 6000 thousand year period, which is related to the resurrections of the dead. Therefore, your disbelief in these recorded occurrences is a non-factor to me. I don't lose any sleep over what others may believe or write, that's their issues, not mine…
The Book of Mormon records that plates of gold were buried where Joseph Smith found them. Therefore, your disbelief in that recorded occurrence is a non-factor to them. They don't lose any sleep over what you may believe or write, that's your issue, not theirs.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #199

Post by Clownboat »

There is no threat to God's truth!
Spoken like a good Muslim would. Pardon my skepticism.
Because, the way that seems right to the non-believers, only leads to confusion and falsehood.
It is good cult behavior to form an enemy to blame and unite against. Doesn't make your slander true of course.
This has been made clear for millenniums…The scientists and smart people over the centuries have made many statements such as: this surprised us, we have no explanation for that and we were wrong…
This is because scientists are not infallible. If you want infallibility, then look to the gods. There are many to choose from. What you cannot do is expect humans to be like the gods we have imagined.
However, you still haven't supplied any historical evidence that claims that the body of the Christ was found and experienced decomposition.
Addressed above by Athetotheist.
Yet, you did supply some facts about what happens to a normal human being, but the Christ wasn't like everyone else!
I'm sorry, I was raised to believe that Jesus came to earth born as a human. If he was not human, what do you imagine him to be?
It is also clear that God uses certain events (miracles) to show His concern for His creation.
This is not clear, it is simply written about in religious promotional material.
Clownboat wrote:Now you are just pretending that the Bible is clear on its god concept. Readers know how false this claim is and need to go no further than Holy Huddle to see Christians argue with themselves about Trinity beliefs.

Sorry, but the bible is quite clear on the God concept,
Again, we need to go no further than this site to see that your claim is false.
Yes, bodies that have died and decomposed can be resurrected back to physical life and for many there is the possibility of being recreated in a non-physical form!

Awesome! Now please show that you speak the truth.
This can be applied to hours or thousands of years, related to time of death…Where, the mechanism used is the great power of the Creator of our universe and the human being.
I'm sure you could imagine all sorts of qualities to lay at the feet of your specific god concept. This is common for all religions though, not something special.
The bible records 10 events, over about a 6000 thousand year period, which is related to the resurrections of the dead.
Addressed above by another.