Moderator: Moderators

Danmark
Site Supporter

What is God?

Post #1

Post by Danmark »

What is God?
Is God not beyond definition?
Why do we argue about the existence of that which is beyond definition?

paarsurrey1
Sage

Re: What is God?

Post #31

Post by paarsurrey1 »

Danmark wrote: What is God?
God is neither a physical being nor a spirit, He is only attributive. Everything physical or the spirits are His creation.
God has mentioned and demonstrated his attributes in Quran, He is defined with them. God is Evident and needs no evidence for His existence, necessarily. God exists irrespective one believes in Him or does not believe in Him.
Why not beleive in Him, please?
Regards

dio9
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by dio9 »

Not only is God beyond definition , God is omnipresent immutable , the origin of all, dwelling in the hearts of all beings, the beginning middle and end of all thiings, God is our mind our consciousness, the silent prayer, the wisdom of the wise, the conjunction of compound words, everlasting time the origin of those about to be and snatching death, the splendor of the splendid , courage of the courageous, the silence of secrets, the knowledge of the knowers, the seed of all beings. And this is only some of what God is.

From the Bhagavad Gita.

Willum
Savant

Post #33

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 32 by dio9]
Not only is God beyond definition , God is omnipresent immutable , the origin of all, dwelling in the hearts of all beings, the beginning middle and end of all things, God is our mind our consciousness,
Nothing could be all that... indeed this proves what God is...

dio9
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by dio9 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 32 by dio9]
Not only is God beyond definition , God is omnipresent immutable , the origin of all, dwelling in the hearts of all beings, the beginning middle and end of all things, God is our mind our consciousness,
in other words God is everything you can see and more, everything you can know and more.

Willum
Savant

Post #35

Post by Willum »

dio9 wrote:
in other words God is everything you can see and more, everything you can know and more.
No, in other words, God is everything you can see and know and prove about him:
In other words absolutely nothing.

dio9
Under Probation

Post #36

Post by dio9 »

Willum wrote:
dio9 wrote:
No, in other words, God is everything you can see and know and prove about him:
In other words absolutely nothing.
to my mind the world and everything in it and above it is the evidence.

Willum
Savant

Post #37

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 36 by dio9]

Other folks, who have similar beliefs about other things are placed in an asylum.
As far as I can tell, "in your mind," is simply a socially accepted delusion.
But we are on DC&R to prove otherwise, so, convince me.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

dio9
Under Probation

Post #38

Post by dio9 »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 36 by dio9]

Other folks, who have similar beliefs about other things are placed in an asylum.
As far as I can tell, "in your mind," is simply a socially accepted delusion.
But we are on DC&R to prove otherwise, so, convince me.
I don't see what more proof you need. This is a wonderful thing this world of ours. How can I prove this world is a wonderful place? It's kind of a subjective thing, what I think is wonderful you may not. The saying is, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or As Dylan said, " you go your way and I go mine". It's OK if you don't see it. Its' just your point of view. I'm not here to convert anyone. Just sharing ideas is all. Right now my idea is what I said. Ideas like understanding is ever evolving things. Proof? I have all the proof I need. Life can be a proving field too. Don't get locked into intellectual ikonization. Proof is not found by the intellect it's found by intuition first in the ah ha experience and then intellectualized. Finding God is an ah ha experience. You want intellectual proof? sorry I can only share my experience. Its subjective. good luck finding your own . The proof is all around you.
Not necessarily to be found in my stream of consciousness. I'm only trying to point the way.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #39

Post by Clownboat »

dio9 wrote:to my mind the world and everything in it and above it is the evidence.
Please explain how fatal familial insomnia is evidence for your god concept.

Fatal Familial Insomnia is a terrible disease found in only 28 families around the world. The disease prevents you from sleeping and no medication available can help you. When the disease begins, you generally have from 7 to 36 months of sleepless nights until you finally die.

Perhaps you can also do the same with mosquitoes and the Candiru?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

paarsurrey1
Sage

Post #40

Post by paarsurrey1 »

paarsurrey1 wrote:
God is neither a physical being nor a spirit, He is only attributive. Everything physical or the spirits are His creation.
God has mentioned and demonstrated his attributes in Quran, He is defined with them. God is Evident and needs no evidence for His existence, necessarily. God exists irrespective one believes in Him or does not believe in Him.
Why not believe in Him, please?
Regards
Further to my Post 31 in the thread, for the benefit of the posters/viewers of this thread, I give the very basic attributes of God as envisaged in the very first chapter of Quran.These verses serve as a very brief but concise introduction to God for the humans, and what the humans are supposed to do to make their relationship with God stronger and useful:

The Holy Quran Chapter 1: Al-Fatihah

[1:1] In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful.
[1:2] All praise belongs to Allah, Lord of all the worlds,
[1:3] The Gracious, the Merciful,
[1:4] Master of the Day of Judgment.
[1:5] Thee alone do we worship and Thee alone do we implore for help.
[1:6] Guide us in the right path —
[1:7] The path of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy blessings, those who have not incurred Thy displeasure, and those who have not gone astray.
https://www.alislam.org/quran/search2/s ... r.php?ch=1
I have underlined the attributes of God, please.
Regards