Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Faith vs. Blind Faith

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

Here is a quote from another member
Faith is confidently believing something to be true, even though available evidence and reason do not support such a belief. This kind of faith is lauded in the story of the encounter between Thomas and the post-resurrection Jesus.
I propose that this is a definition of 'blind faith', or, in technical terms, fideism.

I offer the following as a more appropriate definition of faith:

"assent to a proposition which, based on the evidence at hand, we find so overwhelmingly probable so as to exclude psychological doubt, but not incontrovertible so as exclude logical dispute."

As example: if someone told me my brother was secretly plotting my death, all the available evidence suggests otherwise. Thus, psychogically, the proposition does not bother me. Indeed, if it did, it would say far more about my own psychology than my brother's. However, as I cannot prove there and then that my brother has never, or will never, plot my demise, logically the question remains open. And, unfortunately, the news tells us of such exceptions.

fredonly
Guru

Re: Faith vs. Blind Faith

Post #41

Post by fredonly »

liamconnor wrote:
I offer the following as a more appropriate definition of faith:

"assent to a proposition which, based on the evidence at hand, we find so overwhelmingly probable so as to exclude psychological doubt, but not incontrovertible so as exclude logical dispute."
This equates faith with belief. "I have faith that x" = "I believe x".