Why are Atheists Here?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Why are Atheists Here?

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

It seems to me that far more atheists frequent this site than theists.

It is also obviously apparent that non-theist members here are very, very passionate.

But why? What is your goal.

Are you trying to create atheists? But that goal does not fit the strategy, which is typically on the defensive: i.e., "Prove to me there is a God!"

So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

why specifically Christianity?

kayky
Prodigy

Post #51

Post by kayky »

First, I want to point out that there are a variety of ways for a person to label themselves besides atheist and theist.

I think it's great that atheists post here. Religious/spiritual people benefit from having their ideas challenged and vice versa. Putting your ideas in writing can help clarify them in your own mind. You might even change your mind about some things! We can all learn from each other.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #52

Post by Danmark »

Monta wrote: I should have re-read yr original post, I think yu were talking about members of Congress? When I last read who's who, it was shown they are 3/4 Jews (this is from memory but defenitely over 50%). For Jews, Jewishness is their religion. That's how I understand it.
"More than nine-in-ten members of the House and Senate (92%) are Christian." The current U.S. Congress is 93% Christian (20% unaffiliated), 2% Jewish.
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/01/05/faith-on-the-hill/

"Who's Who" is a very different cohort than Congress.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #53

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 49 by Monta]
Good points but my mind was elsewhere.
I should have re-read yr original post, I think yu were talking about members of Congress? When I last read who's who, it was shown they are 3/4 Jews (this is from memory but defenitely over 50%). For Jews, Jewishness is their religion. That's how I understand it.
Do you understand it in the realm of "alt-facts" from the "alt-right"? When has congress ever been more than 10% Jewish in the history of America?
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by Zzyzx »

kayky wrote: First, I want to point out that there are a variety of ways for a person to label themselves besides atheist and theist.
Excellent observation.
kayky wrote: I think it's great that atheists post here.
See above. Many of us who debate against theist claims and stories are not Atheists.
kayky wrote: Religious/spiritual people benefit from having their ideas challenged and vice versa. Putting your ideas in writing can help clarify them in your own mind. You might even change your mind about some things! We can all learn from each other.
I agree.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Monta
Guru

Post #55

Post by Monta »

Danmark wrote:
Monta wrote: I should have re-read yr original post, I think yu were talking about members of Congress? When I last read who's who, it was shown they are 3/4 Jews (this is from memory but defenitely over 50%). For Jews, Jewishness is their religion. That's how I understand it.
"More than nine-in-ten members of the House and Senate (92%) are Christian." The current U.S. Congress is 93% Christian (20% unaffiliated), 2% Jewish.

I can not find the original link but we know Google censors many of them.
As Congess supports Israel first and foremost, the only conclusion is that most of the 93% of its Christians are Christian Zionists.
A lot is known about Christian Zionism and their influence on US foreign policies as in supporting Israel with billions of dollars ea year with $$ so they can build new housing for the Jews and kick out Palestinians, is not work of Christians.

Willum
Savant

Post #56

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 55 by Monta]

It is indeed disturbing that so many leaders are influenced by a phenomenon, Judeo-Christianity, which can, as we are discovering, more and more, that can be dismissed as false.

It is an interesting commentary. I think God is the only referential authority a governing body has to justify its sins.

So much destruction, particularly on a government scale, is perpetrated by religion.

Individuals and churches being one thing, but do governments ever do anything good in the name of Jehovah?
Or do they eliminate Native Americans, Palestinians, Protestants when Catholics are in power, Catholics when others are in power, and of course Jews?

What are these people being killed for? Who are these people if their god doesn't exist?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #57

Post by rikuoamero »

Monta wrote:
Danmark wrote:

I can not find the original link but we know Google censors many of them.
As Congess supports Israel first and foremost, the only conclusion is that most of the 93% of its Christians are Christian Zionists.
A lot is known about Christian Zionism and their influence on US foreign policies as in supporting Israel with billions of dollars ea year with $$ so they can build new housing for the Jews and kick out Palestinians, is not work of Christians.
Do you consider the following possibilities?
1) They are Christians but give aid to Israel because Israel is a US ally, not out of some Zionist conspiracy
2) They are Christians and give aid to Israel because they think it fulfills what they believe/interpret to be Christian prophecy (not Zionist)
3) They are not Christian, merely claim to be, and give aid to Israel because Israel is a US ally

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

rickmeist
Student

Re: Why are Atheists Here?

Post #58

Post by rickmeist »

liamconnor wrote: It seems to me that far more atheists frequent this site than theists.

It is also obviously apparent that non-theist members here are very, very passionate.

But why? What is your goal.

Are you trying to create atheists? But that goal does not fit the strategy, which is typically on the defensive: i.e., "Prove to me there is a God!"

So why are you here? You obviously want theists to be constantly trying to convince you of ideas you think ridiculous. This is very strange. I think Islam an error; yet I am not a member of a single Islamic site. Are you? I think Hinduism strange; still, not seeking a Hindu forum to demand evidence for their beliefs.

So, to reiterate:

what is your goal?

why specifically Christianity?

Look at it as a quest.

First, the UK and the US was grounded and moulded from Christianity so it is not surprising that Christianity is a subject close to Atheists in these countries. For instance, I am an atheist but I was raised a Christian.

Second, to an atheist, the Christian belief in the Pentateuch and the New Testament is gobsmackingly unbelievable. That grown men and women subscribe to such fantasies.
And I for one find myself in a mission to fully understand how our species come to weigh and place such stock in them. Be it Christianity or any other of the 3000 or so Gods.

And third, it is well documented that millions believe the End of Times are near and equally well documented that 'prophecy' can be manipulated beforehand to appear fulfilled. For instance, an unstable President (IMHO) of a nuclear power is undertaking a religious world tour at the moment. Rabid evangelists are willing the second coming just as soon as the third temple in Jerusalem is built as 'prophesised'. The temple which at present is a mosque on Temple Mount. I wonder who is capable of destroying that mount to ease the passage of Jesus all meek and mild.

Worrying times worthy of robust debate about a belief in nothingness which can only manifest itself through faith.

Does that go some way to answering the question?

Monta
Guru

Post #59

Post by Monta »

[Replying to post 58 by rickmeist]

"And third, it is well documented that millions believe the End of Times are near and equally well documented that 'prophecy' can be manipulated beforehand to appear fulfilled."

Spephen Hawking says that humans have not a 1000 but 100 years
to find another planet in order to survive as a race.

Anicients have predicted the big shift anytime after 2012.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #60

Post by Danmark »

Monta wrote: [Replying to post 58 by rickmeist]

"And third, it is well documented that millions believe the End of Times are near and equally well documented that 'prophecy' can be manipulated beforehand to appear fulfilled."

Spephen Hawking says that humans have not a 1000 but 100 years
to find another planet in order to survive as a race.

Anicients have predicted the big shift anytime after 2012.
A. you've failed to support either of these claims.
B. The second claim is not only wrong, it is demonstrably and utterly wrong.

Just like the return of Christ which has been predicted for tomorrow every year since he was executed, the end time have been predicted even more frequently.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... tic_events

In the early 70's the Late Not Great Hal Lindsey said it would happen in 1988. Being wrong didn't stop him from making more money off the suckers by revising his dates in more books.

A more recent example of this foolishness:

'Harold Camping predicted that the Rapture and devastating earthquakes would occur on May 21, 2011 with God taking approximately 3% of the world's population into Heaven, and that the end of the world would occur five months later on October 21.'

One of the reasons I'm on this forum is because I enjoy exposing foolish claims as false. BTW, re: Hawking, he has generally said the world COULD end soon. SUPPOSEDLY he's said 100 years AND 1000 years
http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/ ... epressing/