Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Avoice
Guru

Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #1

Post by Avoice »

We KNOW their is no tooth fairy.

Would any one waste their time talking with people who did believe it?
No. For what reason? But atheists do this. Why? They are convinced their is no God. So they say. However if that was true then what are they doing here?

There is no such thing as a person who truly, without a doubt believes there is no God. There is always some doubt. And to find out you have to die.

There are really only one reason for the faithless or Godless to be here.

To accuse people of being wrong knowing they can't prove God exists. And I think atheists iare mad at God for not being able to prove he doesn't exist. I think they refuse to believe in God because they are afraid they would have to prove it and they wouldn't be able to. And the thought of losing an argument or not being able to defend it is too much for them. So they just deny God rather than look foolish. They have big egos. They have to be right. Probably have control issues in relationships

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #61

Post by Zzyzx »

For_The_Kingdom wrote: Cool. I stand corrected. Scratch DI's name off the list.
Scratch Z from your list also. Thus, you are wrong at least 2 out of 3.

Now look at the rest of your post to see what else is wrong (as I trust readers are doing).
For_The_Kingdom wrote: End of discussion.
Many choose to end discussion when they realize their position is untenable.

However, it could well be the beginning of learning (for you an others) that a number of false and/or unsupportable assumptions and claims are made in defense of Theism and/or Christianity. Many people of integrity leave a religion once they discover that its claims and stories cannot be supported except with deliberate falsification, exaggeration, evasion, distortion, etc. See www.ExChristian.net and www.ClergyProject.org

Rather than blaming others for the failings of Apologetics, it might be prudent to reexamine what one has been taught / indoctrinated to believe.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

benchwarmer
Guru

Re: Why do atheists participate in religious discussions?

Post #62

Post by benchwarmer »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: The only foolishness was claiming to KNOW something that we can't know. Perhaps you can enlighten us on how we can KNOW the tooth fairy doesn't exist?
I don't recall saying/implying that the tooth fairy doesn't exist.
No, you just got bent out of shape when I pointed out that a claim was made with no supporting evidence. Then you accused atheists of doing the same thing. Which, in this thread, no one has.
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: Many theists trot out the lame retort "You can't prove god doesn't exist" when they can't support their claim that a god DOES exist.
I guess I ain't "many" theists...and "many" theists ain't me.
Awesome. Glad you don't use this pointless tactic.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: That aside, I'm glad you feel that way, because on the contrary, that is the way I feel.

Atheists are down-right blatantly stating; God does not exist.
SOME atheists may state that. None here have so your statement as is is wrong.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: That is a statement of knowledge, because after that, the immediate question becomes "How do you know that God doesn't exist"?

Then they always respond with "Well, you can't prove a negative", or "you can't prove the nonexistence of something".

Which is basically a text book example of circular logic. They are using fallacious reasoning, is what I am trying to say.
Great, when someone does that call them on it. At this point you are creating a strawman since no one here is doing that.
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: Look, if someone makes the claim "gods don't exist" then you are well within your rights to ask for evidence of that claim. Is anyone here in this thread making that claim? No, of course not. Those of us who know better would never do that.
Um, they may not be making the claim within this thread, but they are either implying it or blatantly stating it in other threads.
Cool, why are you complaining here then. Go to those threads and ask for evidence. Perhaps you are mistaken?
For_The_Kingdom wrote: Just ask guys like Bust Nak, Divine Insight, and ZZ. You don't have to go very far.
Well, 2 of them have now replied and proven you wrong. I suspect you are also mischaracterizing BN, but feel free to go challenge BN's claim in the appropriate thread.
For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: So, what's foolish? Oh ya, not supporting claims made. i.e. knowing the tooth fairy doesn't exist. I await evidence from either Avoice or FtK to clear this up as apparently they know something we don't.
Well, make a thread about the tooth fairy and I will see you there.
Why would I do that? The whole point was that I am making no positive claim one way or the other, but Avoice was. I have a feeling you still don't understand that.

SallyF
Guru

Post #63

Post by SallyF »

One of the reasons this New Atheist participates is to expose the false witnesses.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #64

Post by Danmark »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
benchwarmer wrote: The only foolishness was claiming to KNOW something that we can't know. Perhaps you can enlighten us on how we can KNOW the tooth fairy doesn't exist?
I don't recall saying/implying that the tooth fairy doesn't exist.
Accepting the possibility the tooth fairy exists is consistent with the belief the 'god' of the Bible exists.

Tho' I suppose everyone is technically agnostic in that absolute certainty only exists in the mind of an unreasonable person, it also seems manifestly unreasonable to believe in the tooth fairy.
I think the same of goblins and trolls and cyclops and other fantastic beings including this grotesque and unreasonable, contradictory and painfully human version of a 'god' dreamt up in the Bible.

This anthropomorphic 'god' is preposterous. At some point there is no practical difference between unbelief and a positive statement that such a manlike god does not exist. If one were to suppose a god along the lines Paul Tillich proposes, a god who is not a being, but the 'very ground of being,' then that is a different kettle of gods. I would not claim such a god could not exist. But this Biblical, comic book god? Horsefeathers!

To the point of the OP, non theists may participate in a forum like this for many reasons, among them a sort of noblesse oblige, a desire to remove the scales of credulity from the eyes of those who clog their brains with fantasy. In other words, our mission is one of compassion. We serve here to help free our brothers from the bondage of false belief.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #65

Post by Bust Nak »

Zzyzx wrote: Scratch Z from your list also. Thus, you are wrong at least 2 out of 3.
While we are here, take mine off as well. I am very specific as to which kind of god don't exist, re: the problem of evil.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #66

Post by Zzyzx »

For_The_Kingdom wrote: Atheists are down-right blatantly stating; God does not exist.
Three swings, three misses, three strikes.

Distorted view of 'Atheist' positions is not uncommon among Theists who seem intolerant of 'I don't believe your god tales'. While they do not (likely) believe the god tales of competing religions, they often become irate and emotional when 'Atheists' disbelieve their tales -- and lash out with whatever is at hand and often is in error.

Rather than attempting to discredit opposition debaters by falsely characterizing their position, why not simply present verifiable evidence that your claims and stories are true and accurate?

Are you discovering that there is no verifying evidence that your tales are true? That must be disconcerting. Condolences.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Clownboat
Savant

Post #67

Post by Clownboat »

SallyF wrote: [Replying to post 52 by For_The_Kingdom]
Atheists are down-right blatantly stating; God does not exist.
That is blatantly false.

Christians - no matter how often we New Atheists demonstrate that they are making that false accusation - continue to make it.

I suggest that bearing such false witness is a sin.
Cults condition their members to have enemies to unit against.
Atheists are often the enemies that religious condition their members to unit against.

Convincing your members that atheists claim that their favorite god doesn't exist helps to stir up emotions much better than the honest claim, which is that atheist don't find the evidence for any of the gods out there to be credible as of yet.

Atheists get blamed unfairly, but in reality, they are not the true victims. That would be the congregation that has been conditioned to believe a lie.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Divine Insight
Savant

Post #68

Post by Divine Insight »

Danmark wrote: To the point of the OP, non theists may participate in a forum like this for many reasons, among them a sort of noblesse oblige, a desire to remove the scales of credulity from the eyes of those who clog their brains with fantasy. In other words, our mission is one of compassion. We serve here to help free our brothers from the bondage of false belief.
This is so true.

I have no problem at all if someone wants to believe in the possibility of a imagined God. In fact, I'll even comfort them and tell them that they may very well be correct.

Where I have a problem is when they climb on board with bigoted dogma of a particular religion that proclaims to have a jealous God who will damn anyone who doesn't worship him and obey his commandments and directives. Especially when that dogma is filled with bigotry and hatred toward nonbelievers of this specific God.

So if you want to believe in the existence of a God, that's fine with me. Just don't grab that ugly black book and hold it up as the "Word of God". Because the moment you do that you are no longer believing in a God. At at that point all you have become is a salesman of Hebrew folklore. A folklore that contains ignorance, immorality and bigotry. Both religious bigotry and bigotry against the lifestyles of others who disagree with ancient Hebrew male-chauvinistic prejudices.

So if you want to believe in a God that's fine.

But if you're going to hold up hateful ignorance as the Word of God, that's when we have a problem. And don't give me the Christ baloney because that's far too little too late in this religion to undo all the damage that had already been done in the Old Testament.

Christ is nothing if not the son of Yahweh. And if he is the Son of Yahweh, then he's no better than Yahweh. So Christ can't save this religion. He simply too little too late.
[center]Image
Spiritual Growth - A person's continual assessment
of how well they believe they are doing
relative to what they believe a personal God expects of them.
[/center]

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #69

Post by Danmark »

Divine Insight wrote:
I have no problem at all if someone wants to believe in the possibility of a imagined God. In fact, I'll even comfort them and tell them that they may very well be correct.

Where I have a problem is when they climb on board with bigoted dogma of a particular religion that proclaims to have a jealous God who will damn anyone who doesn't worship him and obey his commandments and directives. Especially when that dogma is filled with bigotry and hatred toward nonbelievers of this specific God.

So if you want to believe in the existence of a God, that's fine with me. Just don't grab that ugly black book and hold it up as the "Word of God". Because the moment you do that you are no longer believing in a God. At at that point all you have become is a salesman of Hebrew folklore.
[emphasis applied]

I whole heartedly agree. This sentiment coincides with my long held belief that this type of religion is idolatry. There is a large swath of fundamentalism that makes an idol of the Bible. You see the same in Islam where they must follow Muhammad's name with 'PBUH' or whatever. This is worship of the form not the truth. It reminds me of Roman Catholics crossing themselves whenever the ritual requires. It is reflex, not worship and it is the farthest thing imaginable from the search for truth.

FWI
Sage

Post #70

Post by FWI »

SallyF wrote:For Some Atheists it is a missionary duty … a calling.

Or, a religious belief system…The bible includes several references about the anti-God and anti-Christ, as well as, what their purpose is. You seem to suggest that only some atheists feel this way, but to be an atheist, you must reject that God and His Son exist. Hence, it is no surprise that modern day atheists want to present their comments and opinions about their "religious belief system" on social media…They, also use hypotheticals (over facts), at an alarming rate. So, it is no surprise that the anti-God and anti-Christ are doing what they are doing.
SallyF wrote:And - because there is no such thing as truly selfless altruism - it's just plain good fun

This explanation is surely quite telling. Where, it seems that you reject altruism for the purpose of fun. However, if this is true, where is your credibility?
SallyF wrote:No wine though … because, unlike Jesus, this Atheist believes that alcohol is a sin and a curse on humanity.

Interesting! You claim to be an atheist, but atheists don't believe in sin or curses (supernatural events). So, it seems that there are lingering issues concerning your beliefs…Is this what is known as: atheist lite?