Is not stopping sin a sin?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

Is not stopping sin a sin?

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

When we witness a sin should we try to stop it?For example if we see somebody molesting a woman and if we have a gun in our hand should we try to stop the crime or leave the person to exercise his free will to rape?

Isnt freewill a gift given by god to humans? So why should we try to interfere with it? :confused2: The god,who is more powerful than us ,isnt interfering.He is letting the man to exercise his free will to rape.Should we not follow the example of God? #-o

The best course seems to be to advise that man that what he is doing is a sin.But forcibly preventing him from exercising his free will seems to be negating his free will.When God has given him free will who are we to refuse it to him?

snowman
Student

Post #31

Post by snowman »

sif wrote
I dont believe in any hell
Now you know that I agree.
If really god is there then hell comes into picture.
No, not necessarily. Of course, thats what many religions believe so I understand why you say that.
Assuming god is there and he condemns certain behaviours,which we term as sin then it is just if god punishes those behaviors.But in doing so faith in God shouldnt come into picture.God should punish evil and reward good,irrespective of who does it, or what is the belief of that person.In doing so god should take into account what are the cultural and societal background of that person.I dont know how God will seperate good and evil acts,but he should do so.
Precisely. And I will add that we all don't know how God will do this or how he is doing this. But we know that God will be just.
And evil acts shall be punished.No doubts.But there is something called as punishment corresponding to the crime.If hell is a place where punishments are given, then its fine.But that punishment shall be a civilized one-like maybe a prison term for 5 years etc.The prisoners should be treated in a civic manner,no torture or burning etc.
I agree. I'm beginning to think that you have more common sense and a heart of God in this matter. You are certianly showing more wisdom than most religions who believe that if someone commits....say, only 5 years of sin and gets punished with hell for eternity? The math doesn't add up there. :-k
even the worst criminal should be given salvation.
This is what I believe will happen. You see, the gospel message is that Jesus came to save sinners. If we are all sinners, then he will save us all. He will not be a potential saviour as some teach.
Or if god gives salvation to all without punishment--by changing everybodys heart to that of a good natured one--then no hell is necessary.That would make more sense.
sif. I think many will be punished. But that word 'punished' has been given a very negative connotation. God will not punish just to get the last laugh. Punishment are for corrective purposes. Punishment has a purpose and therefore a good end. The experience of punishment may be uncomfortable and sometimes painful or shameful to the one being corrected, but it is for the ultimate good. I believe that God will change everybodies heart. Sounds like a glad tidings (which is the meaning of 'gospel') to me.
But any one of these two options are okay for me.
Me too! :D

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #32

Post by sin_is_fun »

snowman,

then we have same mindset.People like you are rare and are and asset for any religion.Keep up the good work.God bless you.

snowman
Student

Post #33

Post by snowman »

sif. Thank you for your kind words.

May God bless you on your journey with him too.