Is being gay anti-god

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

juber3
Student

Is being gay anti-god

Post #1

Post by juber3 »

My friend is saved and a born again christian. But one bad thing, hes gay. We started talking and the subject 'is it anti-god' came out. I totally blanked out on the question. whats your view

PS Otseng should this be moved to christianity debate?
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he
hath chosen for his own inheritance." PSALM 33-12

"To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The
fool hath said in his heart, There is no
God..... PSALM 13-1"

Alan
Student

Dunno...?

Post #2

Post by Alan »

I've come to the conclusion that for no good explanations, all of us humans are doomed inherently to tendencies that are flawed, at least in the views of others whose opposing flaws lie elsewhere. Therefore, we are all "wrong" in one sense or another, but let God be the judge.

My lame opinion is that if a person seeks God, then such matters are inevitably resolved in everyone's favor. That doesn't sound like very much of an opinion, but it ought to work. I do think that the world has gone way overboard with its preoccupation with matters of sex as well as politics.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

I have moved this to the debate forum. I think this is a very good question that all should have the opportunity to discuss.

Short answer, no. I believe it is possible to have strong feelings (even sexual feelings) towards a member of the same sex and still be a Christian.

I do not believe having a homosexual predilection is really any different than a predilection for anything else. As a man, I have a predilection to lust after woman. Is it any different than if I had a predilection to lust after men? Does either make me disqualified in being a Christian? I don't think so. My qualification in being a Christian is having a relationship with God through faith only in Jesus Christ.

But, the relationship with God is questionable if there is failure to demonstrate any fruit of that relationship. For example, I am married to my wife. We have made a commitment of an exclusive relationship to each other. However, if I spend all my time with other women and don't spend time with my wife, talk with her, share openly with her, then my marriage relationship is questionable.

In short, it is this relationship with God that alone qualifies if someone is a Christian. Not if someone has a predilection towards people of the same sex, predilection to overeat, predilection to be lazy, etc.

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Re: Is being gay anti-god

Post #4

Post by Quarkhead »

juber3 wrote:My friend is saved and a born again christian. But one bad thing, hes gay. We started talking and the subject 'is it anti-god' came out. I totally blanked out on the question. whats your view

PS Otseng should this be moved to christianity debate?
Perhaps you might tell us why you think being gay is bad, Jubes.

I would say, of course homosexuality is not "anti-God." Look. To arrive at a stance in which the Bible condemns homosexuality, one must liberally interpret a few vague, elliptical references that can easily be interpreted other ways. The principles of nonviolence, for example, are stated much more clearly - Thou shalt not kill, love your enemies, treat others as you would have them treat you - so I think one would have a much stronger case saying that those who participate in, or advocate for war, are "anti-God."

otseng
Savant

Post #5

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead wrote:

Let me head this off at the pass before anyone gets started on this. Juber, if you do want to talk about this, start another thread to discuss if being gay is bad. Let's leave this thread on the original intent. I think your discussion with your friend is a valid dilemma to talk about and I think we can do so in this thread without getting into a general debate about if homosexuality is acceptable or not.

Quarkhead
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Quarkhead »

otseng wrote:
Quarkhead wrote:

Let me head this off at the pass before anyone gets started on this. Juber, if you do want to talk about this, start another thread to discuss if being gay is bad. Let's leave this thread on the original intent. I think your discussion with your friend is a valid dilemma to talk about and I think we can do so in this thread without getting into a general debate about if homosexuality is acceptable or not.
While I appreciate that this is your forum, and will of course follow your lead here, isn't this really what Juber is asking? He's asking if homosexuality is "anti-God." From his first mention of his friend he notes that being gay is a bad thing. I think it is absolutely in the context of the debate to find out what his motivations are for asking the question he asked. And since he said being gay was bad, why didn't you head him "off at the pass?" Obviously, if some are going to debate that being gay is anti-God, they will be constructing an argument that, within a Christian framework, homosexuality is wrong or unacceptable. Are we not to respond?

I'm no stranger to Christian theology. Were I a Christian, my argument might be, there is nothing that is ant-God. Even Satan must be a part of God's plan. If there are people born with, as Otseng says, a predilection for being gay, then that also is a part of God's plan. To say that Satan, or gays, are NOT part of God's plan is to say he is not omnipotent - there are factors which he cannot control. I can't picture a very sound doctrine which includes a god who - if the Bible is to be believed, has power which encompasses the universe - cannot control all aspects of his creation! Or to put that perhaps better - that there are no occurences, or entities, which exist outside of God's plan.

otseng
Savant

Post #7

Post by otseng »

Quarkhead wrote: While I appreciate that this is your forum, and will of course follow your lead here, isn't this really what Juber is asking? He's asking if homosexuality is "anti-God." From his first mention of his friend he notes that being gay is a bad thing. I think it is absolutely in the context of the debate to find out what his motivations are for asking the question he asked.
I don't mind the topic being discussed, but I feel that it should be done in a separate thread.

From my viewpoint, the intent of the post was how Juber should respond to his gay Christian friend. Originally, he posted this in the "Holy Huddle Room", so he originally was addressing how Christians would respond to his situation. I feel like this topic was worth discussing from other viewpoints in addition to a Christian viewpoint, so I moved it here.

I don't know Juber's actual intent on the question, so I'll leave it up to Juber on how he would like to proceed. OK, Juber, it's in your court.

LaxWarrior

Post #8

Post by LaxWarrior »

Otseng said,
My qualification in being a Christian is having a relationship with God through faith only in Jesus Christ.
I think that is a very poignant idea that really tends to get lost in all of these really heated debates (especially when dealing with the topic of homosexuality). All of God's children are flawed, that is why Jesus Christ was sent to die for the sins of man. While some of you may view homosexuality as a terrible sin, that does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that homosexuals are not christians. I just really think that is a thought that everyone should keep in mind when debating on really sensitive subjects like this one. Great Quote.

juber3
Student

Post #9

Post by juber3 »

Yay i got a court. LOL.. Ok i want to see the different viewpoints of everyone here lets keep this on this question
Do you think you are anti-god if you are gay

Oh i started a topic another gay topic here[/urlThe topic is a little misworded but the question is if being gay is ungodly
"Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD; and the people whom he
hath chosen for his own inheritance." PSALM 33-12

"To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. The
fool hath said in his heart, There is no
God..... PSALM 13-1"

adherent
Apprentice

being gay is wrong

Post #10

Post by adherent »

I am sorry but I can't remember in the Bible where it clearly states being homosexual is wrong. I WILL find it however and post it again. Being gay does not mean one is NOT a christian; it is however wrong and should be stopped. As is even stated in Genesis 2:24-->
"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united with his wife, and they will become one flesh."