What if we were visited by aliens?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanMRaymond
Student

What if we were visited by aliens?

Post #1

Post by DanMRaymond »

What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?

brunumb
Savant

Re: What if we were visited by aliens?

Post #41

Post by brunumb »

thomasdixon wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:19 pm Since there are billions of stars out there and planets much liker ours circling many of those suns the odds that there is no life out there is near “zero”; most likely there is life out there.
And I believe that with the tyranny of distance and the limitations of light speed, we will never encounter any of that life.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Mithrae
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by Mithrae »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:16 am
thomasdixon wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:19 pm Since there are billions of stars out there and planets much liker ours circling many of those suns the odds that there is no life out there is near “zero”; most likely there is life out there.
And I believe that with the tyranny of distance and the limitations of light speed, we will never encounter any of that life.
Given enough time those vast distances are pretty much irrelevant. Even at half of light speed you could circle the galaxy twice in a million years, and it's entirely plausible that advanced civilizations could have developed hundreds of millions of years ago.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #43

Post by JoeyKnothead »

DanMRaymond wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:27 pm What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?
"Do you have a moment to discuss our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ?"
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by JoeyKnothead »

"The tyranny of distance". Such a well turned phrase.

I too think travel much beyond Pluto'll be met with "We're running out of Cheetos."
-Punkinhead Martin

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #45

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Mithrae in post #43]
Given enough time those vast distances are pretty much irrelevant. Even at half of light speed you could circle the galaxy twice in a million years, and it's entirely plausible that advanced civilizations could have developed hundreds of millions of years ago.
Half the speed of light is still about 335 million miles per hour (MPH), and the amount of energy required to get something to that speed that having a mass of only 1 kg is about 1.4e16 Joules (eg. 4.4 million watts expended continuously for 100 years).

The fastest thing us humans have put into space to date is the Parker solar probe which will max out at about 690,000 km/hr (430,000 MPH), which is only 0.063% of the speed of light. At that speed it would take about 6,700 years just to get to the closest star to Earth (4.2 light years away), and 41 million years to get to the center of our own galaxy, and another roughly 80 million to get to the other side of our galaxy.

There may be some civilizations out there waaaayyy more advanced than we are that have developed some kind of fantastic energy source and propulsion systems completely foreign to us, but the energy required to accelerate just a 1 kg mass to "even half of light speed" is tremendous. I would argue that the distances are not irrelevant even with hundreds of millions of years of time, because of the giant hurdle of getting something of realistic mass for an investigative probe to a significant fraction of the speed of light.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

brunumb
Savant

Post #46

Post by brunumb »

Mithrae wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm
That's still a long time traveling through an awful lot of empty space. Energy is never free and the faster you go the more you need. There are just too many things that have to line up right and the probability drops to almost zero in my book.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #47

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:29 pm
Mithrae wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:54 pm
That's still a long time traveling through an awful lot of empty space. Energy is never free and the faster you go the more you need. There are just too many things that have to line up right and the probability drops to almost zero in my book.
I agree. Add to that the limits of lifespan and a million years is a very, very long time.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #48

Post by JoeyKnothead »

DrNoGods wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:08 pm [Replying to Mithrae in post #43]
Half the speed of light is still about 335 million miles per hour (MPH), and the amount of energy required to get something to that speed that having a mass of only 1 kg is about 1.4e16 Joules (eg. 4.4 million watts expended continuously for 100 years).

The fastest thing us humans have put into space to date is the Parker solar probe which will max out at about 690,000 km/hr (430,000 MPH), which is only 0.063% of the speed of light. At that speed it would take about 6,700 years just to get to the closest star to Earth (4.2 light years away), and 41 million years to get to the center of our own galaxy, and another roughly 80 million to get to the other side of our galaxy.

There may be some civilizations out there waaaayyy more advanced than we are that have developed some kind of fantastic energy source and propulsion systems completely foreign to us, but the energy required to accelerate just a 1 kg mass to "even half of light speed" is tremendous. I would argue that the distances are not irrelevant even with hundreds of millions of years of time, because of the giant hurdle of getting something of realistic mass for an investigative probe to a significant fraction of the speed of light.
You've never had the pretty thing throw her a skillet at ya.

It does kinda bum me out thinking we might never land us a human on some planet a brazillion miles away.
-Punkinhead Martin

thomasdixon
Apprentice

Post #49

Post by thomasdixon »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:03 pm"Do you have a moment to discuss our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ?"
The Truth About Jesus’ Death
My mother gave me a King James Bible when I was a child. Seventy-one (71) years later I still have it. My bible has numerous marker tags highlighting what I found interesting and worth reminding me of for future review.
I began by reading the New Testament which is full of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus taught us how to be kind to others, as in the stranger but most of all Jesus used the Book of Ezekiel, the third of the Latter Prophets in the Tanakh and one of the major prophetic books in the Old Testament.

It records six visions of the prophet Ezekiel, exiled in Babylon, during the 22 years from 593 to 571 BC.
Book of Ezekiel – Wikipedia

During this period Jerusalem was under the rule of the Romans which the local community strongly rejected.
in Palestine there were a number of occasions when more restless elements in the population resisted Roman abuses and followed the tradition of “zealousness for the Law.”

under the Romans (ruled 37-4 B.C.E.). Herod surrounded himself with Greek scholars and undertook many building projects, including a magnificent and fortified palace. He rebuilt the Temple in Jerusalem.
Before he died, Jesus of Nazareth was born.

The history of the Jews in the Roman Empire
Rebellion in Judaea
Although Judaea was ruled by the Romans, the governors there had practiced the same kind of religious tolerance as was shown to Jews in Rome.

The history of Palestine is the study of the past in the region of Palestine, defined as the territory between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River.

The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely in either AD 30 or AD 33. According to the canonical gospels Jesus was arrested and tried by the Sanhedrin, and then sentenced by Pontius Pilate to be scourged, and finally crucified by the Romans.
Crucifixion of Jesus - Wikipedia

In the canonical gospels, Pilate's court refers to the trial of Jesus in praetorium before Pontius Pilate, preceded by the Sanhedrin Trial. After questioning Jesus and receiving very few replies, Herod sees Jesus as no threat and returns him to Pilate.
At the time Jerusalem was part of Roman Judea, the charges of the Sanhedrin against Jesus held no power before Pilate. This was said after learning that Jesus did not wish to claim any terrestrial kingdom. He was therefore not a political threat and could be seen as innocent of such a charge.
Stepping back outside, Pilate publicly declared that he found no basis to charge Jesus,
Pilate's court - Wikipedia

Early in the morning the chief priests [Rabbis]and elders planned to have Jesus executed.
Pilate had Jesus flogged. Soldiers put a crown of thorns and purple robe on Jesus, hit his face and mocked him saying: 'Hail, king of the Jews!'
Pilate, outside, repeated his not guilty verdict and presented Jesus: 'Here is the man!'

Chief priests [Rabbis] and officials shouted: 'Crucify! Crucify!' Pilate: 'Go ahead and crucify him. I myself find no guilt in him.' Jewish leaders: 'Our law says he must die because he claimed to be the Son of God.'

Pilate, interrogated Jesus inside. Jesus: 'You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.' Pilate tried to set Jesus free.

Jewish leaders [Rabbis]: 'If you let him go, you disobey Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.'
Pilate brought out Jesus around noon, saying: 'Here is your king.' They shouted: 'Take him away, crucify him!'
Pilate: 'Shall I crucify your king?' Chief priests: 'We have no king but Caesar.'
Pilate handed Jesus over to them for crucifixion.

Pilate came out and asked them why. They said only Pilate could apply the death penalty.
Pilate, inside: 'Are you the king of the Jews?' Jesus: 'My kingdom is not of this world, otherwise my servants would have fought to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders.'

Pilate: 'You are a king, then!' Jesus: 'You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.' Pilate: 'What is truth?'
Pilate, outside: 'I find no guilt in him.'

In the New Testament, the Sanhedrin trial of Jesus refers to the trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin (a Jewish judicial body) (NOTE: the Jewish leaders were Rabbis) following his arrest in Jerusalem and prior to the trial before Pontius Pilate.
Jesus is generally quiet, does not mount a defense, and rarely responds to the accusations, and is found guilty of various offenses.
Sanhedrin trial of Jesus - Wikipedia
Jewish tradition and texts portray the Sanhedrin to be an established court [all of them were rabbis], based in Jerusalem with strict guidelines on how to function.

Thereafter, in Pilate's Court, the Jewish elders [Rabbis] ask Pontius Pilate to judge and condemn Jesus, accusing him of claiming to be the King of the Jews. Such a claim would be considered treasonous, for being a direct challenge to the Roman authorities.

In conclusion, after reviewing all the available written facts concerning Jesus Christ, I find overwhelming evidence that Jesus Christ did not die for our sins but was murdered by the Romans, at the request of the local Rabbis in Jerusalem and in return, the revolt against the Roman occupation would stop.
Jesus was teaching the Book of Ezekiel which portrayed the Jewish people badly.
The Rabbis wanted Jesus’ to shut up and the Romans wanted the rebellion to stop. Having Jesus killed solved both problems.

The Truth Will Set You Free

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #50

Post by JoeyKnothead »

thomasdixon wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:48 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:03 pm"Do you have a moment to discuss our lord and saviour, Jesus Christ?"
The Truth About Jesus’ Death
My mother gave me a King James Bible when I was a child. Seventy-one (71) years later I still have it. My bible has numerous marker tags highlighting what I found interesting and worth reminding me of for future review.
I began by reading the New Testament which is full of the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus taught us how to be kind to others, as in the stranger but most of all Jesus used the Book of Ezekiel, the third of the Latter Prophets in the Tanakh and one of the major prophetic books in the Old Testament.

It records six visions of the prophet Ezekiel, exiled in Babylon, during the 22 years from 593 to 571 BC.
Book of Ezekiel – Wikipedia

During this period Jerusalem was under the rule of the Romans which the local community strongly rejected.
in Palestine there were a number of occasions when more restless elements in the population resisted Roman abuses and followed the tradition of “zealousness for the Law.”

under the Romans (ruled 37-4 B.C.E.). Herod surrounded himself with Greek scholars and undertook many building projects, including a magnificent and fortified palace. He rebuilt the Temple in Jerusalem.
Before he died, Jesus of Nazareth was born.

The history of the Jews in the Roman Empire
Rebellion in Judaea
Although Judaea was ruled by the Romans, the governors there had practiced the same kind of religious tolerance as was shown to Jews in Rome.

The history of Palestine is the study of the past in the region of Palestine, defined as the territory between the Mediterranean Sea and the Jordan River.

The crucifixion of Jesus occurred in 1st-century Judea, most likely in either AD 30 or AD 33. According to the canonical gospels Jesus was arrested and tried by the Sanhedrin, and then sentenced by Pontius Pilate to be scourged, and finally crucified by the Romans.
Crucifixion of Jesus - Wikipedia

In the canonical gospels, Pilate's court refers to the trial of Jesus in praetorium before Pontius Pilate, preceded by the Sanhedrin Trial. After questioning Jesus and receiving very few replies, Herod sees Jesus as no threat and returns him to Pilate.
At the time Jerusalem was part of Roman Judea, the charges of the Sanhedrin against Jesus held no power before Pilate. This was said after learning that Jesus did not wish to claim any terrestrial kingdom. He was therefore not a political threat and could be seen as innocent of such a charge.
Stepping back outside, Pilate publicly declared that he found no basis to charge Jesus,
Pilate's court - Wikipedia

Early in the morning the chief priests [Rabbis]and elders planned to have Jesus executed.
Pilate had Jesus flogged. Soldiers put a crown of thorns and purple robe on Jesus, hit his face and mocked him saying: 'Hail, king of the Jews!'
Pilate, outside, repeated his not guilty verdict and presented Jesus: 'Here is the man!'

Chief priests [Rabbis] and officials shouted: 'Crucify! Crucify!' Pilate: 'Go ahead and crucify him. I myself find no guilt in him.' Jewish leaders: 'Our law says he must die because he claimed to be the Son of God.'

Pilate, interrogated Jesus inside. Jesus: 'You would have no power over me if it were not given to you from above. Therefore the one who handed me over to you is guilty of a greater sin.' Pilate tried to set Jesus free.

Jewish leaders [Rabbis]: 'If you let him go, you disobey Caesar. Anyone who claims to be a king opposes Caesar.'
Pilate brought out Jesus around noon, saying: 'Here is your king.' They shouted: 'Take him away, crucify him!'
Pilate: 'Shall I crucify your king?' Chief priests: 'We have no king but Caesar.'
Pilate handed Jesus over to them for crucifixion.

Pilate came out and asked them why. They said only Pilate could apply the death penalty.
Pilate, inside: 'Are you the king of the Jews?' Jesus: 'My kingdom is not of this world, otherwise my servants would have fought to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders.'

Pilate: 'You are a king, then!' Jesus: 'You say that I am a king. In fact, the reason I was born and came into the world is to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me.' Pilate: 'What is truth?'
Pilate, outside: 'I find no guilt in him.'

In the New Testament, the Sanhedrin trial of Jesus refers to the trial of Jesus before the Sanhedrin (a Jewish judicial body) (NOTE: the Jewish leaders were Rabbis) following his arrest in Jerusalem and prior to the trial before Pontius Pilate.
Jesus is generally quiet, does not mount a defense, and rarely responds to the accusations, and is found guilty of various offenses.
Sanhedrin trial of Jesus - Wikipedia
Jewish tradition and texts portray the Sanhedrin to be an established court [all of them were rabbis], based in Jerusalem with strict guidelines on how to function.

Thereafter, in Pilate's Court, the Jewish elders [Rabbis] ask Pontius Pilate to judge and condemn Jesus, accusing him of claiming to be the King of the Jews. Such a claim would be considered treasonous, for being a direct challenge to the Roman authorities.

In conclusion, after reviewing all the available written facts concerning Jesus Christ, I find overwhelming evidence that Jesus Christ did not die for our sins but was murdered by the Romans, at the request of the local Rabbis in Jerusalem and in return, the revolt against the Roman occupation would stop.
Jesus was teaching the Book of Ezekiel which portrayed the Jewish people badly.
The Rabbis wanted Jesus’ to shut up and the Romans wanted the rebellion to stop. Having Jesus killed solved both problems.

The Truth Will Set You Free
I rest my case.
-Punkinhead Martin