What if we were visited by aliens?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanMRaymond
Student

What if we were visited by aliens?

Post #1

Post by DanMRaymond »

What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?

harvey1
Prodigy

Re: What if we were visited by aliens?

Post #2

Post by harvey1 »

DanMRaymond wrote:What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?
Have you accepted Jesus in your life...?

QED
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by QED »

harvey1 wrote:
DanMRaymond wrote:What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?
Have you accepted Jesus in your life...?
Your witty one-liner suggests you find this amusing. I think it's a very valid point to debate. I'm sure that we will eventually discover that we are not the only intelligence in the universe one day. While this wouldn't have much bearing on your particular notion of god, it would clash with Christianity would it not? It would certainly close the book on the Old Testament.

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #4

Post by LillSnopp »

What if beings from some far end of space were to visit the Earth? What would the Christian response be?
To be perfectly serious about this, i have no doubt that they would just re-interpret any passages that do not suit. And say that the old interpretation was simply wrong, but now its right.

This would not surprise me one bit.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by harvey1 »

QED wrote:I'm sure that we will eventually discover that we are not the only intelligence in the universe one day. While this wouldn't have much bearing on your particular notion of god, it would clash with Christianity would it not? It would certainly close the book on the Old Testament.
It would be a challenge for fundamentalism. As for me, my understanding of Christianity might not be much affected by it, of course depending on what we found out. I would be surprised, though if they turned out to be atheists. Would you be surprised if they turned out to be theists?

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #6

Post by LillSnopp »

It would be a challenge for fundamentalism. As for me, my understanding of Christianity might not be much affected by it, of course depending on what we found out. I would be surprised, though if they turned out to be atheists. Would you be surprised if they turned out to be theists?
Well as they visit us (i presume), they should be higher in the evolutionary chain (no pun intended), so i presume they are athiest, as for me, theism is a sign of ignorance and weakness. I doubt they would need that to rely on.

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by harvey1 »

LillSnopp wrote:Well as they visit us (i presume), they should be higher in the evolutionary chain (no pun intended), so i presume they are athiest, as for me, theism is a sign of ignorance and weakness. I doubt they would need that to rely on.
But, they presumably would know more about the universe, so they would be theists...

LillSnopp
Scholar

Post #8

Post by LillSnopp »

But, they presumably would know more about the universe, so they would be theists...
You mean above Humans?
I presumed you where not talking about that definition of it. So no, as no God or Gods exist. I really feel sorry for the people that really need this imaginary figure in their life to manage, i do, seriously.

DanMRaymond
Student

Post #9

Post by DanMRaymond »

Aside from being stubborn, though, how would Christians handle it? In my opinion Christianity would disintegrate rather quickly. As far as the aliens being theists goes... wether they believe in a supreme being or not i think the fact that they exist would still pretty much dismantle Christianity and what the bible says...

harvey1
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by harvey1 »

LillSnopp wrote:You mean above Humans? I presumed you where not talking about that definition of it. So no, as no God or Gods exist. I really feel sorry for the people that really need this imaginary figure in their life to manage, i do, seriously.
Then we belong on this site since I really feel sorry for those who worship slot machines.