God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

europious
Student

God?

Post #1

Post by europious »

So christians, all I want is one argument that will convince me of gods existance. Prove it.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: God?

Post #431

Post by bernee51 »

aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote: How can anyone pray to something in which they have no belief?
That's a very interesting question. An old saying: There's no atheists in a foxhole.
A lot of 'old sayings' are self serving...
My cousin outright rejects God's existence. I don't mean that she is agnostic (doesn't know) about God... she actively rejects that God exists. But she went through a traumatic experience and in the middle of it, when it was looking really bad, she broke down and prayed aloud with tears running down her face.

Can anyone pray to something in which they have no belief?

It depends on how that 'belief' is translated.

For example, I was recently at a four week spiritual retreat that involved a lot of ritual and what could be considered 'prayer'. To me the 'object' of the prayer was to address very human fears, failings, seeming inadequacies, wishes and hopes. These very much human emotions are embodied in a deity or deities and addressed through that embodiement.

I certainly 'believe' that we humans struggle with ignorance, egoism, likes, dislikes and a clinging to life (fear of death). I also understand how we humans translate this struggle into a god belief ( a supreme other) and religion in order to help face the 'slings and arrows of outrageous fortune'
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #432

Post by aglassdarkly »

bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
That's a very interesting question. An old saying: There's no atheists in a foxhole.
And a lot are true.
bernee51 wrote:
My cousin outright rejects God's existence. I don't mean that she is agnostic (doesn't know) about God... she actively rejects that God exists. But she went through a traumatic experience and in the middle of it, when it was looking really bad, she broke down and prayed aloud with tears running down her face.

So, yes?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #433

Post by bernee51 »

aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
And a lot are true.
In my experience atheist and foxholes represents the former..it is only ever used in the sense you were using it by theists...usually christian ones
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote: My cousin outright rejects God's existence. I don't mean that she is agnostic (doesn't know) about God... she actively rejects that God exists. But she went through a traumatic experience and in the middle of it, when it was looking really bad, she broke down and prayed aloud with tears running down her face.

So, yes?
can't speak for your cuz...and for all I know you could be making it up... 8-)

hearsay isn't reliable testimony.

As for myself...I have been known to call out "oh my god" on all sorts of occasions...

I did point out how I, as an atheist, translate 'prayer' into something that fits my worldview.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #434

Post by aglassdarkly »

bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
And a lot are true.
In my experience atheist and foxholes represents the former..it is only ever used in the sense you were using it by theists...usually christian ones
So it's not true because theists say it?
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote: My cousin outright rejects God's existence. I don't mean that she is agnostic (doesn't know) about God... she actively rejects that God exists. But she went through a traumatic experience and in the middle of it, when it was looking really bad, she broke down and prayed aloud with tears running down her face.

So, yes?

As for myself...I have been known to call out "oh my god" on all sorts of occasions...

I did point out how I, as an atheist, translate 'prayer' into something that fits my worldview.
So, no?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #435

Post by bernee51 »

aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
And a lot are true.
I said it was self-serving, whether it is true or not depends on the foxhole and the atheist.
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:

So, yes?

So, no?
I’m not sure what is causing your apparent problem with comprehension…the answer is quite clear.

Nisargadatta Maharaj

aglassdarkly
Scholar

Post #436

Post by aglassdarkly »

bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
And a lot are true.
I said it was self-serving, whether it is true or not depends on the foxhole and the atheist.
Truth that is self-serving is okay with me.
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:

So, yes?

So, no?
I’m not sure what is causing your apparent problem with comprehension…the answer is quite clear.
It's a yes then?

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #437

Post by bernee51 »

aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
And a lot are true.
Truth that is self-serving is okay with me.
Whatever floats your boat...
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:
bernee51 wrote:

So, yes?

So, no?
It's a yes then?
Obviously not clear enough.....

Nisargadatta Maharaj

southern cross
Banned
Banned

Post #438

Post by southern cross »

Glassy, could you provide some evidence....that there are no atheists in foxholes?

Wootah
Savant

Post #439

Post by Wootah »

southern cross wrote:
Goat wrote:
aglassdarkly wrote:

Childhood conditioning. There are also atheists that have gone through that kind of trauma that they DIDN'T do that.
Oh no!!
Are you sure?
That is one of the major tenets of believing in invisible friends. Everyone believes in invisible friends in a foxhole. You can't just wave that away without evidence, oh wait they attest to it without evidence.
As you were.

:warning: Moderator Warning

Hi SC - you could have made an interesting rebuttal here. Instead you have couched it with sarcasm. Please consider civility in all posts so that people can debate the issues at hand.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.