Justin108
Banned
Banned

Do humans look like God?

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

dianaiad wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
Man was made in God's image. As most modern Christians interpret this, it means we have a soul.
OK. Actually, I believe that we look like Him, not the other way around, but...OK.
Do humans look like God? Wouldn't it be pointless for God to have hands, feet, teeth, etc. when he can literally do anything? Why have feet when you're everywhere at all times? Why have teeth when you never eat? Why have hands? Does God ever need to pick something up? Does God have a penis? Does he need to urinate or reproduce? Does God need a nose to smell? It seems entirely nonesensical to assume that if a god existed that he would look even remotely human.

PghPanther
Guru

Re: Do humans look like God?

Post #31

Post by PghPanther »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

What is the deal about the story claiming this God writing the ten commandments on stone...........are they talking metaphorically only?

Did it think those engraved letters into the stone?.........or use lightening bolts??

The fingers of God??.............

Some story telling those old superstitious manuscripts are.......

Ancient of Years
Guru

Post #32

Post by Ancient of Years »

PghPanther wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

What is the deal about the story claiming this God writing the ten commandments on stone...........are they talking metaphorically only?

Did it think those engraved letters into the stone?.........or use lightening bolts??

If one reads about the Ark of the Covenant it is clear that real physical stone tablets are intended. In the movie The Ten Commandments fireballs are used to do the engraving. But in Exodus they were engraved by the finger of God.
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.

William Blake

Elijah John
Savant

Post #33

Post by Elijah John »

Ancient of Years wrote:
PghPanther wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

If one reads about the Ark of the Covenant it is clear that real physical stone tablets are intended. In the movie The Ten Commandments fireballs are used to do the engraving. But in Exodus they were engraved by the finger of God.
Fireballs ARE the finger of God...movie metaphor of the literary metaphor. ;)

I doubt even the ancients considered the expression "the finger of God" to be any more literal than the expression "the hand of God".
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Post #34

Post by marco »

[Replying to Ancient of Years]

I was thinking of his aphorism: Si Dieu n'existait pas il faudrait l'inventer. And we have invented him, giving him our likeness. Thus we do indeed look like the god we made.

Your quote is also apposite. The second is remarkably perceptive and I have discussed it elsewhere. Go well.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Danmark »

bluegreenearth wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: .
Willum wrote:
God could breed with Mary.
I assume at least some parts were compatible.
He obviously didn't scare her off, and we didn't hear any complaints.

Of course, what would she say?

It's god, no one's going to complain about stamina or good looks, I suppose.

So, it is safe to say, he looks human, since Mary didn't say he looked like Kang or Kodos.
....Willum was obviously and clearly responding to someone's question about God's physical characteristics including reproductive capabilities given the Biblical claim that humans were created in God's image and the Biblical claim that God impregnated Mary. Since the precise purpose of this forum is to debate such legitimate speculations, restricting that capability will only render the forum unproductive at best and as a Christian echo chamber at worst.
While it is true that real people deserve dignity and respect, their ideas and beliefs do not. There can be no sacred claims lest we abandon logic and reason for undeserved obedience.
[emphasis mine]
I agree.
As several have opined, this 'god' of the Bible was indeed crafted in the image of man. The Bible of course has it backwards, claiming our creation, this imaginary 'god,' created us in HIS image. In either case, God and Man look similar.

The 'New Testament' goes further with this claim that God and man share physical attributes, even to the extreme of reproduction. Yes, the doctrine of God impregnating Mary, however crude or unpalatable (not to mention impossible) the image this phenomena evokes, is suggested by Gospel passages as well as by Church doctrine; that is, that SOMEHOW God is the father of Jesus and this somehow involves Mary. The mechanism of this miracle is not described in 'scripture.' Doctrine suggests it somehow happened in a non physical way.

The absurdity of this claim invites... or perhaps demands the suggestion that in reality this 'fathering' happened in the usual way and that God has a penis and he used it in the manner of men and gods. This suggestion may be offensive... certainly IS offensive to some, BUT IT IS INVITED BY 'SCRIPTURE' ITSELF.