Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

(Preliminary: this thread is not about "The Bible". It is about an historical situation--i.e. the origins of the early church--i.e. the claimed resurrection. No document will be judged "better" or "more reliable" simply on the grounds that "it's in the Bible". We will use the same thing used in all historical investigations--common sense and historical methodology)

It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!

As Aristotle pointed out to us, every science yields its own degree of knowledge and to require more is not an indication of the science’s weakness but of your own. History is conducted by analyzing and comparing documents; the degree of knowledge it yields ranges from implausible to beyond reasonable doubt. One can always doubt an historical claim; whether one can do so reasonably is another question. Anybody claiming on a thread entitled “Historical Evidence for the Resurrection� that “eyewitness testimony is not evidence� simply does not know what he is talking about and should refrain from commenting on such threads. There is just no point in debating with such a person on the level of history—stick to geometrical problems.

To reinforce the initial preliminary, I quote DI
The reason that Christianity is a "sham" is because it doesn't merely claim to be history, it claims to be the TRUTH. And it even accuses everyone who refuses to believe in it of having "rejected God" and having chosen evil over good etc.
This is an historical investigation. Please drop all questions about the ancient documents' "divine status"; all assumptions that you know what "Christians believe" or even what "Christianity has believed" about the Bible are to be suspended. We will treat them as we treat Josephus or an anthology of ancient Roman historians.

To begin this thread, I analyze what is probably the earliest Christian creed we have, from 1 Cor. 15. I ask that we do some real, mature history: the kind of history done with all ancient documents.

I care very much for structure, and so here is how I’ve structured my argument: 1) I give the proposition with a defense; 2) I voice a common objection; 3) I meet that objection in a rejoinder; 4) I give my conclusion.

1 Cor 15:1—8: (I have italicized what is probably not part of the original creed—that is, certain phrases which disrupt the rhythm of the Greek, and are “Pauliocentric�. These are most likely editorial or introductory remarks from Paul. I have also emboldened two key words. Everything in plain print I (as well as numerous scholars) believe to be original to the oral tradition.)

Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received,

that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried,
and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He appeared to Cephas,
then to the twelve.
6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
7 then He appeared to James,
then to all the apostles;
8 and last of all, as it were to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. (1Co 15:1-8 NAS)

Proposition #1 Paul recalls to the Corinthians a list he received of persons whom he claims saw the risen Jesus.

Defense: The two terms in bold are in this context technical terms signifying both the transmission of oral tradition and its reception—Jews highly valued the importance (almost sanctity) of oral tradition; Paul was no different, even when the tradition was regards Jesus and not Torah (Cf. Gal 1:14). The Corinthians received what Paul handed over to them; what Paul handed over to them Paul claims he himself received.

Objection: Paul is lying.

Rejoinder: 1) This is conjecture without any historical warrant: you are just making stuff up. 2) If Paul were lying, he would surely have left out all names, and said that most if not all of the recipients of this encounter were dead. That is how good liars work—leave no room for investigation or keep the circle very, very small. Instead, Paul gives leads for readers to investigate: Peter, James, and just less than 500 whom the Corinthian church could’ve inquired into (i.e. we know they sent him a letter; we know he had visited them). 3) And yet we have no paper trail calling Paul out for a lie. We know that the Corinthian church was not shy of criticizing Paul—yet they never cried out “Liar� regards his list of witnesses. What we do have is at least three independent attestations of one apostle, James (1 Cor, Acts and Josephus). Outside of the Corinthian correspondence we have named apostles who are resident at the letter’s designation (Rom 16:7). People traveled back then more than today; they didn’t have the telephone or the internet; traveling is how information was conveyed—someone somewhere was always traveling with some news. A lie on the level of Paul in 1 Cor. (as well as in other letters where he names apostles) would have exposed him as a sham and the probability of that sham appearing in history is overwhelming--the very fact that Paul's letters continued to circulate as authoritative is evidence that no one called "liar"--and we know from his own letters (GAlatians and Corinthian correspondence) that people were willing to impugn him publicly.
So, 1) We have ZERO paper trail of Paul lying about this list 2) the list itself is vulnerable to investigation—it gives names and is made up of at least 500 individuals.

Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.

Next Question (after hearing reasonable responses): When did Paul receive this creed and from whom? Is there a paper trail of this transmission?
Last edited by liamconnor on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Kenisaw
Guru

Re: Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #411

Post by Kenisaw »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: [Replying to post 401 by Tired of the Nonsense]
Energy and matter on the other hand, which are aspects of the same phenomenon, can neither be created or destroyed, according to all observation. This is described in the law of conservation of energy. If energy/matter can neither be created or destroyed it is eternal by definition. And if it is eternal by definition, what role could the God you imagine exists have possibly played in creating it?
Theists, notice here that I, TotN and others have no problem believing that energy/matter are eternal. It doesn't make me freak out, I don't start foaming at the mouth because gosh darn it, here's something that's eternal.
Do you know why? I follow the evidence where it leads. I'd similarly have no problem with an eternal god...if one could be produced.
The truth is, if you give this question some thought, everyone essentially ends up reaching the same conclusion. In the beginning, there was never a beginning. There must have always been a something. Believers have labeled this something "God." But they have simply imagined the concept of God into existence. What is actually observed through all experience and experimentation, is that energy appears to be eternal. Whether one happens to choose to like this answer or not is entirely immaterial.
Well, not everyone. I'm in the camp that says the universe is a free lunch, and finite. But regardless, it doesn't take the supernatural one way or another...
If you subscribe to the big bang, as I do myself, do you also subscribe to the theory that the energy of the big bang existed as a singularity prior to the big bang? If that is so, then the singularity is a cause and the big bang is an effect. What then caused the singularity? Do you see how cause continues to be a compelling result of effect no matter how much we would like to close the whole thing off? In truth however, there is no compelling reason to close the whole thing off at all, and some reason, at least, to suppose that things are simply a continuation of still other things.
I don't see that, because cause is time dependent and there was no spacetime before the Big Bang. There is also a logical issue with an infinite string of causes as I'm sure you well know.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #412

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Kenisaw wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:
Energy and matter on the other hand, which are aspects of the same phenomenon, can neither be created or destroyed, according to all observation. This is described in the law of conservation of energy. If energy/matter can neither be created or destroyed it is eternal by definition. And if it is eternal by definition, what role could the God you imagine exists have possibly played in creating it?
Theists, notice here that I, TotN and others have no problem believing that energy/matter are eternal. It doesn't make me freak out, I don't start foaming at the mouth because gosh darn it, here's something that's eternal.
Do you know why? I follow the evidence where it leads. I'd similarly have no problem with an eternal god...if one could be produced.
The truth is, if you give this question some thought, everyone essentially ends up reaching the same conclusion. In the beginning, there was never a beginning. There must have always been a something. Believers have labeled this something "God." But they have simply imagined the concept of God into existence. What is actually observed through all experience and experimentation, is that energy appears to be eternal. Whether one happens to choose to like this answer or not is entirely immaterial.
Well, not everyone. I'm in the camp that says the universe is a free lunch, and finite. But regardless, it doesn't take the supernatural one way or another...
If you subscribe to the big bang, as I do myself, do you also subscribe to the theory that the energy of the big bang existed as a singularity prior to the big bang? If that is so, then the singularity is a cause and the big bang is an effect. What then caused the singularity? Do you see how cause continues to be a compelling result of effect no matter how much we would like to close the whole thing off? In truth however, there is no compelling reason to close the whole thing off at all, and some reason, at least, to suppose that things are simply a continuation of still other things.
I don't see that, because cause is time dependent and there was no spacetime before the Big Bang. There is also a logical issue with an infinite string of causes as I'm sure you well know.
There would have been no space/time if the big bang resulted from a singularity. But if time did not exist, than no change should have been possible. Now couple this problem with the problem that the singularity has never been proven to be valid, since it violates all known principles of modern physics. And you can see that there is some reason, at least, to doubt the singularity ever actually occurred. Which means that something else occurred instead. Again, cause precedes effect.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #413

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

rikuoamero wrote: And I've already refuted said arguments by pointing out that these arguments assume that life could only ever form in the way that it has formed on the Earth that we inhabit, and that somehow life could absolutely never form any other way in any other conditions.
What does that have to do with the improbability of THIS universe becoming life permitting? Nothing. The Penroses' calculation applies to THIS universe, so that is what we need to focus on, THIS universe.
rikuoamero wrote: Have you ever heard of the Watch on the Beach analogy? If you haven't, it's a favourite of Intelligent Design proponents. The argument runs something like this
A man is walking along a beach, and on the ground he sees a watch. He picks it up and examines it, and eventually comes to the conclusion that this object bears all the hallmarks of design and therefore it could not be natural. It must have had an intelligent designer responsible for it.
The man seems like a rational human being.
rikuoamero wrote: The problem with this analogy is that in order to make this determination, he had to compare and contrast this watch with his surroundings. In order to determine that the watch is designed, he had to examine something that he has previously determined is not designed, like a random rock.
Ok.

rikuoamero wrote: So if you are in an intelligently designed universe, and you hold up a rock in one hand and say that this rock was intelligently designed and is part of an ID universe...how can you make that determination? Do you have, in the other hand, a rock of natural origins that you can compare the first rock to?

Basically, think of me like your teacher from math class. You may have hit on the right answer, but I will mark your answer with a big fat fail if you do not show your work, and right now, your argument for ID fails because you need to compare and contrast an ID object with a non-ID object...and you can't do that because if ever you were to do it, that would mean that there are objects that don't have their ultimate origin in the god being you claim.
Ok, let me ask you a question, and we will take this niceee and slow. Think of your car. Was your car intelligently designed? Yes or no.
rikuoamero wrote: The reason why I said that goes back to the Watch on the Beach analogy. The man picks it up, examines it, determines that it was designed, and for some reason, the proponents of this argument conclude only a single designer was responsible.
However, if you think about it, the conclusion does not flow from the previous premises. A watch does NOT have one single designer. Each piece of a watch had someone else responsible for its design. Sure, there may be a single person responsible for putting a single watch together (I'm not entirely sure if that's true, or just a romanticist view in movies) but complex objects are, to my knowledge, designed by teams of people. No one person is responsible for the design of all parts of a given complex object.
Did a single person design an entire car? An entire building? A computer?
Even if the watch owes its existence to multiple designers, the watch is still intelligently designed, right? The argument for intelligent design is for just that, intelligent design...it says nothing about how many designers was needed or was used. That is irrelevant.

Bruh, you are beginning to have patterns of offering objections that doesn't do anything to undercut the main principals of the argument. Multiple designers? Irrelevant. Other universes with different natural laws? Irrelevant.

They need to call this the "Straw woman" fallacy, when someone offers irrelevant objections that may be true, but doesn't undermine the argument in the slightest bit.

LOL

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #414

marco wrote: Your model is wrong. It would be absurd to think that we are talking about one single trial. We have all the time in the world to go on trying gazillions of times, and on one occasion we will generate the sequence that arises from picking your white ball. Remote probabilities are regarded as impossible, as far as finite, earthly populations go, but when dealing with cosmic events we do have the vast numbers and the vast amount of time to make remote probabilities perfectly viable.
If we had an infinite amount of time and times to get it done, then we wouldn't have gotten it done ONLY a finite time ago. Now let that marinate.

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #415

Kapyong wrote: Gday For_The_Kingdom and tfvespasianus and all :)

tfvespasianus wrote: When I discuss things, I tend to grant the strongest possible reading of what they are saying and try and address that. Thus, I accepted your lack of precision in constructing your sentence. For it is ambiguous and would have better read ‘He [Ignatius] quotes frequently from all the gospels excluding Mark’ rather than sloppily writing something that could be grammatically construed as the NT containing all the gospels except the book of Mark.
For_The_Kingdom wrote: Reading comprehension...now, I could have just said "all of the NT EXCEPT the book of Mark".
Instead, I said "all of the NT, including the Gospels EXCEPT Mark".

Either way, the point was made that of the entire NT, Mark is the only book that is EXCLUDED. Your reading comprehension wasn't on its A-game, basically lol.
Yes, there was some mis-understandings, but they have been cleared up now :)

Your point is quite clear :
(For_The_Kingdom): Ignatius quotes from "all of the NT EXCEPT the book of Mark".

But that is clearly wrong, as I pointed out up-thread - perhaps you missed my post ?

Here is what Glenn Davis' site NTcanon has to say :

The left column is 'Ignatius'.

Note that he does seem to reference G.Matthew and G.Luke, but not G.Mark nor G.John. Nor many other NT works like 2 Cor., Gal., James, 1,2,3 John, 1,2 Peter, Jude, Rev.

The evidence is quite clear - this claim :
(For_The_Kingdom): Ignatius quotes from "all of the NT EXCEPT the book of Mark".
is incorrect.

tfvespasianus is right. :)

Furthermore -
note that Ignatius never directly names or quotes any NT book - he never writes anything like this : "According to the Gospel of Matthew we read 'blah blah'."

The Ignatiana are some of the most confused and corrupt books of all - the authorship is unknown, the dating uncertain.

There is no clear evidence that Ignatius knew any written Gospel at all - what he shows is some knowledge of some Jesus Christ stories which are also found in the Gospels.

Ignatius, like 1 Clement, the Didakhe and Barnabas, come from the inter-Gospel period - the Gospels exist, their stories are spreading - but the Gospels have not yet become widespread and authoritative.

Here is a possible connection layout of all these books, according to data collated by Bernard Muller, with the graphic done by myself :

He places Ignatius around 135, which seems fair to me.

Kapyong
I was incorrect about the books that Ignatius quoted from (I'm human), but I stand by my stance regarding Ignatius and his reference to the book of Luke, and I also dispute the 135 CE date for Ignatius.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #416

[Replying to For_The_Kingdom]
For_The_Kingdom wrote: What does that have to do with the improbability of THIS universe becoming life permitting? Nothing. The Penroses' calculation applies to THIS universe, so that is what we need to focus on, THIS universe.
Notice that you are shocked, SHOCKED, to discover that the parameters of the universe that we exist in allow for the existence of life. Personally I would be much more shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to discover that the parameters of the universe that we exist in DID NOT allow for the existence of life. Now THAT would be truly miraculous and certain evidence of divine intervention.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #417

Post by Kenisaw »

Kenisaw wrote:
Kenisaw wrote:
There would have been no space/time if the big bang resulted from a singularity. But if time did not exist, than no change should have been possible. Now couple this problem with the problem that the singularity has never been proven to be valid, since it violates all known principles of modern physics. And you can see that there is some reason, at least, to doubt the singularity ever actually occurred. Which means that something else occurred instead. Again, cause precedes effect.
But that something else doesn't necessarily have to have a time component. We can't say that time or space is required for something to happen. So we can't say that cause and effect is a valid component to the universe being here...

Quite the brain stretcher, isn't it? But the key to all this, which you also recognized, is that we don't know enough to say one way or another. Hopefully humans will reach that point some day (probably after I cease to exist unfortunately)...

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #418

Post by Kenisaw »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
marco wrote: Your model is wrong. It would be absurd to think that we are talking about one single trial. We have all the time in the world to go on trying gazillions of times, and on one occasion we will generate the sequence that arises from picking your white ball. Remote probabilities are regarded as impossible, as far as finite, earthly populations go, but when dealing with cosmic events we do have the vast numbers and the vast amount of time to make remote probabilities perfectly viable.
If we had an infinite amount of time and times to get it done, then we wouldn't have gotten it done ONLY a finite time ago. Now let that marinate.
The funny thing about odds is that people don't understand them very well. That's why casinos do so well. Take the claim made by creationists that the odds of life starting naturally are so high that it can't happen. But that's not what the odds state. The odds tell you what chance any one particular try will have in being successful. It does NOT predict when or if it will happen, only what the average number of attempts are required before success will be found. The odds do not preclude it from happening on the very first attempt, or preclude it from happening 1000 times longer than the average number of tries. An example of this is Roy Sullivan, who was hit by lightning seven times. It would take 1x10^20 human beings to exist before that should happen, but there haven't been anywhere near that many. So how did it happen? Because the odds of it happening don't mean it can't happen with fewer iterations than the calculated average.

Just FYI for everyone.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #419

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to post 412 by For_The_Kingdom]
k, let me ask you a question, and we will take this niceee and slow. Think of your car. Was your car intelligently designed? Yes or no.
Tell me where in nature you can find insulated copper wire. How about thermoplastic liners? How about vulcanized rubber. You can't? So that must mean that a car (or a watch on a beach, or a 747) isn't made up entirely of natural components. Unlike any living thing...

Which is why it isn't a valid comparison.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #420

[Replying to Kenisaw]
Kenisaw wrote: But that something else doesn't necessarily have to have a time component. We can't say that time or space is required for something to happen. So we can't say that cause and effect is a valid component to the universe being here...

Quite the brain stretcher, isn't it? But the key to all this, which you also recognized, is that we don't know enough to say one way or another. Hopefully humans will reach that point some day (probably after I cease to exist unfortunately)...
It's very interesting to contemplate, and that is a fact. We measure time by the changes which occur. If absolutely no changes can occur the whole concept of time become meaningless. If the big bang was the result of the formation of a true singularity then time had become infinite. Which is nothing more than declaring that no time passed at all. The passage of no time at all is simply NOTHING. Essentially, either the singularity never existed at all, or we simply do not have the means to comprehend such a condition. Any way you consider the concept of the singularity, it cannot really exist in the way that we exist, from moment to moment, event to event. If it occurred, then absolutely no time passed until it no longer existed. Nothing.

Spacetime however does exist, and there is no reason to suppose that it has not always existed. Perhaps in some other form than the form that we are used to. But if time exists, then change occurs. If spacetime existed prior to the big bang, than cause and effect continued to be at work prior to the big bang. Perhaps as the gravitational collapse of a massive amount of energy/matter exactly similar to the gravitational collapse which causes a black hole. Cause and effect continues backwards in the direction of the conditions that caused this gravitational collapse. Now we are considering the possible existence of an entirely different universe. The big bang is a door that we are as yet unable to look behind for hard verifiable answers however, I am afraid.