Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

liamconnor
Prodigy

Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #1

Post by liamconnor »

(Preliminary: this thread is not about "The Bible". It is about an historical situation--i.e. the origins of the early church--i.e. the claimed resurrection. No document will be judged "better" or "more reliable" simply on the grounds that "it's in the Bible". We will use the same thing used in all historical investigations--common sense and historical methodology)

It seems that folks on this thread still do not understand how history is done and what amounts to historical evidence; analogies between N.T. studies and present day courtroom scenes are made— since we cannot cross examine so-called eyewitnesses of the N.T., clearly Christianity is a sham. As if we could cross examine ANY historical figure!

As Aristotle pointed out to us, every science yields its own degree of knowledge and to require more is not an indication of the science’s weakness but of your own. History is conducted by analyzing and comparing documents; the degree of knowledge it yields ranges from implausible to beyond reasonable doubt. One can always doubt an historical claim; whether one can do so reasonably is another question. Anybody claiming on a thread entitled “Historical Evidence for the Resurrection� that “eyewitness testimony is not evidence� simply does not know what he is talking about and should refrain from commenting on such threads. There is just no point in debating with such a person on the level of history—stick to geometrical problems.

To reinforce the initial preliminary, I quote DI
The reason that Christianity is a "sham" is because it doesn't merely claim to be history, it claims to be the TRUTH. And it even accuses everyone who refuses to believe in it of having "rejected God" and having chosen evil over good etc.
This is an historical investigation. Please drop all questions about the ancient documents' "divine status"; all assumptions that you know what "Christians believe" or even what "Christianity has believed" about the Bible are to be suspended. We will treat them as we treat Josephus or an anthology of ancient Roman historians.

To begin this thread, I analyze what is probably the earliest Christian creed we have, from 1 Cor. 15. I ask that we do some real, mature history: the kind of history done with all ancient documents.

I care very much for structure, and so here is how I’ve structured my argument: 1) I give the proposition with a defense; 2) I voice a common objection; 3) I meet that objection in a rejoinder; 4) I give my conclusion.

1 Cor 15:1—8: (I have italicized what is probably not part of the original creed—that is, certain phrases which disrupt the rhythm of the Greek, and are “Pauliocentric�. These are most likely editorial or introductory remarks from Paul. I have also emboldened two key words. Everything in plain print I (as well as numerous scholars) believe to be original to the oral tradition.)

Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand,
2 by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.
3 For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received,

that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures,
4 and that He was buried,
and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,
5 and that He appeared to Cephas,
then to the twelve.
6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep;
7 then He appeared to James,
then to all the apostles;
8 and last of all, as it were to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. (1Co 15:1-8 NAS)

Proposition #1 Paul recalls to the Corinthians a list he received of persons whom he claims saw the risen Jesus.

Defense: The two terms in bold are in this context technical terms signifying both the transmission of oral tradition and its reception—Jews highly valued the importance (almost sanctity) of oral tradition; Paul was no different, even when the tradition was regards Jesus and not Torah (Cf. Gal 1:14). The Corinthians received what Paul handed over to them; what Paul handed over to them Paul claims he himself received.

Objection: Paul is lying.

Rejoinder: 1) This is conjecture without any historical warrant: you are just making stuff up. 2) If Paul were lying, he would surely have left out all names, and said that most if not all of the recipients of this encounter were dead. That is how good liars work—leave no room for investigation or keep the circle very, very small. Instead, Paul gives leads for readers to investigate: Peter, James, and just less than 500 whom the Corinthian church could’ve inquired into (i.e. we know they sent him a letter; we know he had visited them). 3) And yet we have no paper trail calling Paul out for a lie. We know that the Corinthian church was not shy of criticizing Paul—yet they never cried out “Liar� regards his list of witnesses. What we do have is at least three independent attestations of one apostle, James (1 Cor, Acts and Josephus). Outside of the Corinthian correspondence we have named apostles who are resident at the letter’s designation (Rom 16:7). People traveled back then more than today; they didn’t have the telephone or the internet; traveling is how information was conveyed—someone somewhere was always traveling with some news. A lie on the level of Paul in 1 Cor. (as well as in other letters where he names apostles) would have exposed him as a sham and the probability of that sham appearing in history is overwhelming--the very fact that Paul's letters continued to circulate as authoritative is evidence that no one called "liar"--and we know from his own letters (GAlatians and Corinthian correspondence) that people were willing to impugn him publicly.
So, 1) We have ZERO paper trail of Paul lying about this list 2) the list itself is vulnerable to investigation—it gives names and is made up of at least 500 individuals.

Conclusion: 1) Paul delivers a list of persons who claim they saw the risen Jesus, and this list includes two explicitly named individuals, and perhaps eleven or twelve implicitly named individuals (that no one in Corinth would've asked "who are these twelve?" is preposterous). 2) This list is prior to Paul’s writing to the Corinthians: scholars (of ALL types) agree that the letter was composed about 50 AD (twenty years after the dead of Jesus); hence the creed itself is prior to 50 AD. 3) The list is comprised of eyewitnesses of post-crucifixion appearances. This list, in light of the considerations above, counts as eyewitness testimony. It is not FROM those eyewitnesses; but then we are not in a courtroom--we are doing history. Most of your historical beliefs are based on eyewitness testimony at multiple removes.

Next Question (after hearing reasonable responses): When did Paul receive this creed and from whom? Is there a paper trail of this transmission?
Last edited by liamconnor on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #421

Post by Clownboat »

Kenisaw wrote: [Replying to post 412 by For_The_Kingdom]
k, let me ask you a question, and we will take this niceee and slow. Think of your car. Was your car intelligently designed? Yes or no.
Tell me where in nature you can find insulated copper wire. How about thermoplastic liners? How about vulcanized rubber. You can't? So that must mean that a car (or a watch on a beach, or a 747) isn't made up entirely of natural components. Unlike any living thing...

Which is why it isn't a valid comparison.
Evolution is change in the heritable traits of biological populations over successive generations.

I would like to have For the Kingdom show me a car that reproduces biologically.

He might as well be making the claim that water freezes when cold enough and turns to ice. Therefore, if we freeze a rock, it will also turn to ice.

He wouldn't argue such a thing I'm sure, yet here he is, comparing the design of cars to the change we observe in the heritable traits of biological populations.

:confused2:

Let's go with 'yes, cars are intelligently designed' so I can see if you even have a valid point.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #422

Post by rikuoamero »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote: [Replying to For_The_Kingdom]
For_The_Kingdom wrote: What does that have to do with the improbability of THIS universe becoming life permitting? Nothing. The Penroses' calculation applies to THIS universe, so that is what we need to focus on, THIS universe.
Notice that you are shocked, SHOCKED, to discover that the parameters of the universe that we exist in allow for the existence of life. Personally I would be much more shocked, SHOCKED I SAY, to discover that the parameters of the universe that we exist in DID NOT allow for the existence of life. Now THAT would be truly miraculous and certain evidence of divine intervention.
Precisely. Imagine we lived on a planet without an atmosphere. Then one day, some curious fellow realizes that we have lungs that require oxygen to operate. That fellow would discover that our blood is being oxygenated and yet...there's no air to allow for that to happen.
Now THAT I would classify as being an indication of some sort of intervention.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #423

Post by For_The_Kingdom »

Zzyzx wrote: Let's see . . . who is claiming to know who wrote the book? Oh, were you there?
I specifically said "I have reasons to believe". I can at least build a CASE for who I believe to be the authors of the Gospels, and when they wrote them. I am not aware of anyone on here (or otherwise) that have made any attempt whatsoever to build a CASE for later authorship dates and/or other actual authors of the books themselves.
Zzyzx wrote: Christian scholars and theologians have reason to doubt that any Apostles wrote the gospels that bear their names.
We all have our reasons, don't we?
Zzyzx wrote: A mere claim to have “reasons to believe� is worthless in debate (though it may be adequate in church). Kindly set forth the evidence and let readers decide if it is convincing.
Small steps, not leaps and bounds. But just know that I ain't saying it just to be saying it.
Zzyzx wrote:]
It might be prudent to read what Christian scholars and theologians have to say about authorship of the gospels (rather than relying on an Internet forum).
I have, and I am leaning towards the ones to the right of the equation.
Paul/Saul IS a later writing (that could be an invention). His writings are dated by scholars and theologians as twenty to thirty or more years after the claimed event.
So what? MLK died in 1968, an event that took place 48 years ago. Since the 21st century, there have been dozens of books written about him. So if people can write about MLK 40-48 years after the death of King, they can damn sure write "twenty to thirty or more years" after the death of the Messiah.

http://www.amazon.com/Martin-Luther-Kin ... B000APMH74
Paul/Saul – a religion fanatic / promoter writing decades after the claimed event
Tavis Smiley released the below authored book (by himself) in 2016, 48 years after the "claimed event".

If the event is significant enough, the event will be remembered, talked about, and written about many years after it takes place. Not only is this practice not anything new, but it is a down-right commonality...so I don't understand why you keep raising this objection when this is something that happens allll the time.

– a person who never met Jesus
Tavis Smiley (above) had never met MLK , either. So "unless you actually meet a person, you cannot write about that person, and your testimony about that person is not valid".

Is that the erroneous logic being used here?
– a story based on a claimed “vision� (or hallucination or delusion or whatever it was).
A hallucination/delusion of Paul wouldn't explain the empty tomb, nor will it explain the origins of the other disciple's belief.
Paul/Saul does not even describe the claimed event – that is done by whoever wrote Acts.
Right, and the author of Acts is Luke, who was a companion of Paul.
Religion tales are NOT history. The Bible is not a history book – it is religion promotional literature.
So because it is "the Bible", it cannot record history?
As Mark Twain famously said, “It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.�
As Charles Barkley once said "I might be wrong, but I doubt it".
Kindly provide verifiable evidence to support that claim.
The Kalam Cosmological Argument has both scientific & philosophical backing..which proves that the universe began to exist and a First Cause is absolutely positively necessary.

Now, I know that is is a tough pill for people with your worldview to swallow, but it is what it is.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #424

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 422 by For_The_Kingdom]
So what? MLK died in 1968, an event that took place 48 years ago. Since the 21st century, there have been dozens of books written about him. So if people can write about MLK 40-48 years after the death of King, they can damn sure write "twenty to thirty or more years" after the death of the Messiah.
I think this point of contention is completely misunderstood by people on your side of the fence.
Picture it like this. Imagine I this year talked to a bunch of people about MLK. I then switched off all my Internet-connected devices, removed all other books from my room and purely from memory, wrote a biography of what I thought and believed to be true about MLK.
Now imagine I present it to you as the one hundred percent truth of MLK.
Why should you, or anyone else, trust what I say? I am a fallible human and it is more than likely that I will have written in some errors into this book, even though I believe it myself.

This is the situation we face with Paul. He wrote about events some decades after they allegedly occurred. He mentions other scriptures that we ourselves do not have.
An actual historian who writes about MLK today, even decades after he died, will include plenty of citations in his work. Where are the citations in Paul? When he speaks about Jesus appearing to a crowd of 500, does he give any names? Details about when and where it happened? Does he include quotes from these people?

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Post #425

Goat wrote: That is the logical fallacy known as 'argument from numbers'.
Nonsense. If that were the case, then there would be no statistician with a job.
Goat wrote: It fails to take into account several different factors, such as 'change is accumulative', and 'it's not random, because there is the way that chemistry works'. Those two factors make that calculations totally and utterly worthless.
Um, what two calculations?

For_The_Kingdom
Guru

Re: Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #426

rikuoamero wrote: The problem here is one of showing your work, like in primary school math class. If you're now throwing out the tools of science (i.e. empiricism) then what do you use to verify a claim made?
Empiricism is cool, just not when it comes to questions of origins, as is the apparent case.
rikuoamero wrote: "Oh it's the Christian God that's responsible for this list of 5 things" "Ok, cool, how do you justify your claim and how do you verify it" "Uh...I don't. I don't use science"
All of those 5 things have a traditional theistic argument attached to it, except MAYBE the argument from language.
rikuoamero wrote: I'm pretty sure Kenisaw is like me, and HAS asked those questions. However, unlike you, we're careful not to propose an answer to those questions UNLESS we can back it up, and this means evidence.
You can't back it up with science, can you? But that hasn't stopped you people from proclaiming your atheistic/naturalistic world views, has it?
rikuoamero wrote: Even if this statement were true, it does NOTHING to identify the whatever it was.
An immaterial, timeless, personal being that has the KNOWLEDGE and POWER to create an entire universe.

Those attributes are GREAT identifiers for God, don't you think?
rikuoamero wrote: And the god that you propose fails that test. Just look at the Old Testament. The OT describes a god so violent and bloodthirsty that user Claire Evans on this site has said that the god described in the OT has nothing whatsoever to do with the 'real' God.
LOL. You cannot logically judge or criticize God for acting in an unjust manner without presupposing a standard of morality that God is acting outside of. So this Claire Evans has a PERSONAL standard of morality, a standard at which she claims that God is not meeting.

But the standard by which she criticizes God, who made her standard the correct one, and why is her standard any better than mines, yours, or God?

Hmmm.
rikuoamero wrote: You do what I've seen countless times. You say "if it is true". Well, can you actually support that IF statement, show it to actually be true? I think not, because the resurrection is NOT founded on good evidence.
I think I can, and I will.

Inigo Montoya
Guru

Post #427

Post by Inigo Montoya »

I wasn't aware Dr King was seen again the weekend after being shot, then flew off into space.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #428

Post by Goat »

For_The_Kingdom wrote:
Goat wrote: That is the logical fallacy known as 'argument from numbers'.
Nonsense. If that were the case, then there would be no statistician with a job.
There is a difference, between good statistics and the logical fallacy of argument by numbers. In the first instance, the problem is known and the parameters are plain. The problem with the penrose is calculation is that the factors are not know, and therefore the probabilities can not be calculated for one. When you don't have an understanding of what you are trying to calculate, your parameters are not valid.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #429

Post by Kenisaw »

[Replying to post 422 by For_The_Kingdom]
The Kalam Cosmological Argument has both scientific & philosophical backing..which proves that the universe began to exist and a First Cause is absolutely positively necessary.

Now, I know that is is a tough pill for people with your worldview to swallow, but it is what it is.
There is no scientific backing for that philosophical exercise, because no one knows if the universe began to exist, or how or why it began if it did have a beginning. Since cause and effect is a time dependent transaction, and time would not have existed until space began, there is no reason to think a "Cause" as understood in a universe with an arrow of time is needed. In addition, the universe is not something from nothing. It is nothing from nothing, which has been repeatedly shown in study after study. You do not need a cause to get nothing from nothing.

That is why cultists have to rely on philosophical arguments, because they require no empirical data or evidence which allows for premises to be baseless. Once they try to debate scientifically, they usually need a spoonful of sugar to make that medicine go down...

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Re: Historical Evidence for the Resurrection (Again)

Post #430

Post by rikuoamero »

[Replying to post 425 by For_The_Kingdom]
Empiricism is cool, just not when it comes to questions of origins, as is the apparent case.
In which case, how does one distinguish between various proposed hypotheses of origins, if one does not use empiricism? If I'm not mistaken, one is at that point in a stalemate.
You can't back it up with science, can you? But that hasn't stopped you people from proclaiming your atheistic/naturalistic world views, has it?
What is it you think I'm claiming that I haven't backed up with science? As I said before, I'm careful to make claims and statements ONLY when I can back them up (or when the topic is so unimportant that there's no point to actually digging up the evidence required e.g. there's no point to posting evidence that I once scored a 146 IQ at 9 years old)
An immaterial, timeless, personal being that has the KNOWLEDGE and POWER to create an entire universe.

Those attributes are GREAT identifiers for God, don't you think?
They're proposed attributes for a theoretical God. Can you provide evidence to show that they're true?
LOL. You cannot logically judge or criticize God for acting in an unjust manner without presupposing a standard of morality that God is acting outside of. So this Claire Evans has a PERSONAL standard of morality, a standard at which she claims that God is not meeting.
We all have a personal standard of morality, you, me, Claire Evans, everyone else. Besides, it's kinda hypocritical to describe a personal god that nevertheless in your eyes cannot be judged by whatever morality you hold to?
But the standard by which she criticizes God, who made her standard the correct one, and why is her standard any better than mines, yours, or God?
Because it's her standard of morality. God may pass your standard, but he sure as heck fails mine. I know of course that I don't know everything, but everything that I do know and understand tells me that the god creature described in the Bible does not meet my standard of morality, just like Emperor Palpatine, Lord Voldemort or any typical dark lord villain from a fantasy novel does.
If I am wrong, then I'm wrong, but I won't believe that I am wrong unless I am given the pertinent information. The God of the Bible, especially in the Old Testament, acts just like Morgoth from Tolkien's mythos - he has a favoured race, to whom he promises land and riches, he demands worship and is only all too quick to react with extreme violence at the slightest hint of non-compliance.

I think I can, and I will.
It's been just about 20 hours since you posted that.