Animal Sacrifice: Why turn a blind eye?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

jgh7

Animal Sacrifice: Why turn a blind eye?

Post #1

Post by jgh7 »

There are detailed rules in the Old Testament for conducting animal sacrifice both as a means of praise to God and as a means of seeking forgiveness/atonement for sins.

I view animal sacrifice as barbaric nonsensical cruelty to animals. The notion that forgiveness or worship of God are linked to killing an animal is disturbing.

How do Christians reconcile the rules of animal sacrifice in the OT? They eventually were phased out, but they certainly existed for a long time when the OT was in effect (thousands of years perhaps).

To me, this is enough to completely dismiss Christianity from a religious standpoint. I will not partake in a religion whose God once condoned animal sacrifice. I mean, my common sense tells me it's disturbing to the point that it would be silly to partake in such a religion.

Questions:

Do you view animal sacrifice as barbaric/cruel/disturbing?
If yes, then doesn't this mean that the bible God is barbaric/cruel/disturbing since He approved of it and had detailed rules for it written in the OT?

marco
Savant

Re: Animal Sacrifice: Why turn a blind eye?

Post #2

Post by marco »

jgh7 wrote:
If yes, then doesn't this mean that the bible God is barbaric/cruel/disturbing since He approved of it and had detailed rules for it written in the OT?
We have to accept that characters in the Bible were bloodthirsty brutes and it is amazing that Yahweh found common cause with them. However, Yahweh wanted Abraham to sacrifice his son which strikes all reasonable people as evil; to make it all better he had a poor ram slaughtered so he could scent blood.

You are absolutely right that this should turn folk away. However, such is man's ingenuity that he can read love into evil and hatred. Remember the lines; God so LOVED the world that he had his son crowned with thorns, scourged, stabbed and crucified. What love!

tfvespasianus
Sage

Post #3

Post by tfvespasianus »

I think when the practice is juxtaposed with modern industrial slaughterhouses it comes out favorably or at least one could argue such. This is granting that the sacrifices were consumed after their ritual killing which I believe was almost always the case.

However, this assumes that one does not have a general objection to killing livestock. Given Western dietary habits, I am assuming that most people don’t.

Take care,
TFV

jgh7

Post #4

Post by jgh7 »

[Replying to tfvespasianus]

This is not simply about killing an animal. It is about the notion that God intends the killing to be a means of worshipping Him or receiving his forgiveness. That is what I find disturbing.

Do you find it barbaric or not that the biblical God equated killing animals to proper worship of Him?

marco
Savant

Post #5

Post by marco »

tfvespasianus wrote: I think when the practice is juxtaposed with modern industrial slaughterhouses it comes out favorably or at least one could argue such. This is granting that the sacrifices were consumed after their ritual killing which I believe was almost always the case.
In the case of burnt offerings neither the giver nor the priest was allowed to eat. All the priest got was any fleece or skin that was removed before the burning. Lest we imagine that God frowned on this ludicrous practice, we have this said after Noah sacrificed from the animals he had saved:

"And the LORD smelled the soothing aroma; and the LORD said to Himself, “I will never again curse the ground on account of man...."

It is curious that the Lord's whisper to himself was picked up by some transmitter.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

[Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

I take it you are a vegetarian but many societies, especially in ancient times, vegetarian living really wasn't an viable option. Many of the sacrifices the Israelites offered where actually eaten, offering only the best parts to God.

In any case the bible explains God never orginally intended animals to be killed and eaten but neither were they offered eternal life. God views all life as of worth and in God's permission to Noah to kill for food and sustainence, there was the caution that even animal life should be viewed as precious.

Whether killing animals is "barbaric" really depends on ones sensibilities, for most people its just lunch.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

FinalEnigma
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by FinalEnigma »

jgh7 wrote: Questions:

Not necessarily/Not necessarily/No.

Your adjective choice is lacking, but I do not condone animal sacrifice, so for the sake of continuing without unnecessary derailment, assume yes.
Only if you are a Christian biblical literalist.
Last edited by FinalEnigma on Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We do not hate others because of the flaws in their souls, we hate them because of the flaws in our own.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #8

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 3 by tfvespasianus]

Pretty sure that they just burnt the offering' so that nothing was left. In some cases eating the meat was also forbidden. Although this isn't the only case of wasted meat. As the Isrealites settled the holy lands they were commanded to kill all the animals of the enemy.

Just senseless violence to animals.

Although more to the point why does God need blood sacrifice to forgive. I don't need blood sacrifice to forgive.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Post #9

Post by DanieltheDragon »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 1 by jgh7]

I take it you are a vegetarian but many societies, especially in ancient times, vegetarian living really wasn't an viable option. Many of the sacrifices the Israelites offered where actually eaten, offering only the best parts to God.

In any case the bible explains God never orginally intended animals to be killed and eaten but neither were they offered eternal life. God views all life as of worth and in God's permission to Noah to kill for food and sustainence, there was the caution that even animal life should be viewed as precious.

Whether killing animals is "barbaric" really depends on ones sensibilities, for most people its just lunch.

JW
This doesn't have to do with being a vegetarian, why does God an "omnipotent" being need blood sacrifice?

Additionally, this isn't about lunch the offerings were burnt and not to be given as food. It is a waste of life. This isn't the only instance of senseless violence towards animals.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

tfvespasianus
Sage

Post #10

Post by tfvespasianus »

I don't have the time to look any print resources which is usually my preference, but loathe as I am to cite it, Wikipedia does state in its entry under 'korban':

"Offerings were often cooked and most of it eaten by the offerer, with parts given to the Kohen priests and small parts burned on the altar of the Temple in Jerusalem. Only in special cases were all of the offering given only to God, such as the case of the scapegoat.[4][5]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korban

Which is jibes with what I was trying to recall and also I think makes a bit more sense. After all, again if we compare modern 'food waste' to that of ancient society I think we come off a bit worse.

Take care,
TFV