Moderator: Moderators

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Theists don't ask questions

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

Hi

I ask a lot of questions.. and SOMETIMES ( but not always ) get answers.

One of the reasons that I do ask a lot of questions, is that I don't actually learn anything new by proselytizing atheism. I do that a bit, of course, I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions" and so on, but I am ALSO here to learn what OTHER people think.

So, the questions.

It just occurred to me that I RARELY get any questions from the theists.
Isn't that odd?

Question for debate:

• Why is it that theists don't seem very curious as to what outsiders to their beliefs think?

:)

Hector Barbosa
Apprentice

Re: Theists don't ask questions

Post #151

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 150 by benchwarmer]

Well the scientific approach is certainly NOT "hey I heard this nonsense from this atheist in a suit with a degree so it must be true, lets go sing kumbaya and slaughter anyone who questions it"

I am beginning to think I need to leave this site, for there are far too many dogmatic atheists even here, that it makes it very tough not to be biased against atheists.

I want the truth, and I had hoped for a bit more honesty here, but honesty seems like a tough bill to handle for those who has nothing to believe in.

And I find it quite disgusting that the ancestors of people who used to be victims of "witch trials" has now become the "witch hunters".

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #152

Post by Zzyzx »

Hector Barbosa wrote: I am beginning to think I need to leave this site,
The Forum does not ask anyone to stay if they dislike debating here.
Hector Barbosa wrote: for there are far too many dogmatic atheists even here, that it makes it very tough not to be biased against atheists.
Many people have difficulty adjusting to this Forum's 'level playing field' in which no theistic position is granted special treatment. They may be more comfortable in environments that cater to their beliefs and disallow opposition voices.

Some prefer the Holy Huddle sub-forum where only Christians may post – thus avoiding encountering 'Atheists' and other Non-Theists.
Hector Barbosa wrote: I want the truth, and I had hoped for a bit more honesty here, but honesty seems like a tough bill to handle for those who has nothing to believe in.
Truth and honesty may not agree with your position (whatever that may be).
Hector Barbosa wrote: And I find it quite disgusting that the ancestors of people who used to be victims of "witch trials" has now become the "witch hunters".
Kindly explain what this strange statement means.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #153

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 149 by Hector Barbosa]

[center]Creationism isn't science.[/center]

Hector Barbosa wrote:
For do any of them really have evidence?

Is something evident just because you can put a compelling argument with pictures, quotes, strong wording and maybe even sound to appeal to emotions?
Do you really think that all sources are of equal quality when it comes to science education?

It's up to you, you can seek out reputable science sources, or you learn what the creationists have to say. I suppose it's just what you want to learn.

It looks to me as if you are convinced by the creationists already.
But creationism is religion, not science.

marco
Savant

Post #154

Post by marco »

Hector Barbosa wrote:

I want the truth, and I had hoped for a bit more honesty here, but honesty seems like a tough bill to handle for those who has nothing to believe in.

And I find it quite disgusting that the ancestors of people who used to be victims of "witch trials" has now become the "witch hunters".
Well I like your brand of honesty though I may not agree with all you say. You can find truth in the most unexpected places, and occasionally the stone you discarded can become the cornerstone.

You may wish to learn truth from others, but if there is a drought in that commodity, then you can bring it to them. The point of many a fine story is that we can search for a lifetime only to discover that what we were looking for was with us all the time.

The truth can hurt as well as enlighten, as I've recently found. So don't be too harsh in your first impressions, Hector. I am open to enlightenment and I find diamond glints of truth both in theist and non-theist posts. Seek and ye shall find, I think.
Go well.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #155

Post by Elijah John »

[Replying to post 151 by Hector Barbosa]

Personally, I hope you stay. The site needs more honest-to-goodness agnostics. It seems to me that agnosticism by definition is perhaps the most reasonable position of all to take. It takes an honest and humble person to say "I have an opinion, but I don't know for sure".

That is a refreshing, open-minded attitude.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Post #156

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 155 by Elijah John]

[center]

I wonder if Blastcat is making the "No true agnostic" argument?
[/center]

Elijah John wrote:
Personally, I hope you stay. The site needs more honest-to-goodness agnostics.
He makes a case for theism, really.
And creationism, I think.

Elijah John wrote:
It seems to me that agnosticism by definition is perhaps the most reasonable position of all to take.
That's why i label myself an agnostic.

Elijah John wrote:
It takes an honest and humble person to say "I have an opinion, but I don't know for sure".
Thank you oh so very much.

Elijah John wrote:
That is a refreshing, open-minded attitude.
That's why I hold it.
There's no use in being closed minded if one wants to learn.

It looks like our friend is closing up .... :(

postroad
Prodigy

Post #157

Post by postroad »

[Replying to post 152 by Zzyzx]
In past years I would debate on sites supposedly open to non believers. I would debate completely within the Bible. Invariably I would find myself locked out of the site without explanation.

William
Savant

Moved to this thread

Post #158

Post by William »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 178 by William]
I'm in the subset of atheists who reject theism.
William wrote:
You lack belief in gods and also reject theism.
Well that's a start.

That's correct: I lack a belief in gods and goddesses, and I reject theism.
Okay.
But it's not where I start.. it's my CONCLUSION, so it's the end.
Atheism is the label for the conclusion at the END of the investigation, not the start.
So it is for you. Other atheist believe this to be the other way around. That everyone naturally starts off from the default position of 'Atheist'.

Q: What are your beliefs about that?
I have to reject theism because I don't believe in any gods or goddesses, as theism is a belief in gods or goddesses.
Based on that I would have to conclude that you are the type of atheist who believes one has to be exposed to ideas of GOD(s) and then reject those, before you can declare yourself as an 'atheist.'

Q: Is this correct?

William wrote:
What do you mean when you say you reject theism?
I don't accept the claims that theism makes because they haven't met their burden of the proof.
Obviously then you are the type of atheist who believes that;

IF;
any GOD existed
THEN;
That GOD should easily be able to be scientifically verified. The existence of the GOD should be able to be shown to exist through scientifically verifiable evidence.

Q: Am I correct about this position you presently retain?
William wrote:
When you say that do you mean all types of theism?
That's right.
Okay.
William wrote:
Do you repudiate theism because theism doesn't lack belief in god(s) or are there other reasons?
I began to lose my belief in God because of learning how to think well... The more I did that, the less the claims of religions made sense.
Okay - so I am not sure that this fully answers my question. It appears that you rejst theism on account of any and all ideas of GOD, and in learning to 'think well' as you put it, meant that any ideas of GOD were classified as something which comes about through people who have not learned to 'think well.

Q: Would this be correct?

William wrote:
Do you repudiate everything else which isn't theism but exhibits any other things which you [might] have reason to also reject theism for?
I use skepticism, so any claim which does not have enough evidence for, I simply do not believe. I can't pretend to believe what logic dictates that I have no justification for. I make a lot of mistakes, and that's USUALLY due to believing too much. I usually find out that a belief I thought was TRUE.. turned out to be false. That's always a little humbling.

When I correct a mistake like that, I call it an instance of learning.There are lots of ways of learning, but that's a great one. A false belief gets in the way of learning.
Again, this doesn't seem to really fully answer my question so I will attempt to re-frame that question.

But first, perhaps it would be better to find out from you whether your whole anti theist position is focused upon the rejection of any idea of GOD or does it also involve rejecting the bad things you might see coming through theism - through organised religions for example.

Q: Do those bad things concern you and help support your particular type of atheist position, or is the focus solely on rejecting all ideas of GOD?
William wrote:
Do you repudiate theism for all that it injects into human society regardless of any good it may be doing?
I think that theism has it's share of good results. Religions are made up of people, and some people are fantastic. I attribute the good that religions do to the GOOD PEOPLE involved, not to any particular theology.

Good people would use just about ANY THEOLOGY for good.

But of course, the opposite is also true. Bad people can use just about any theology to justify bad things up to, and including war.
Okay.

Q: Do those bad things concern you and help support your particular type of atheist position, or is the focus solely on rejecting all ideas of GOD?

When they say that "Islam is the religion of peace", for example, I think it's true of the PEACE LOVING people in Islam. War loving people use Islam to justify war.

It's the people that matter.. not the particular religion.
Q: As an atheist you hate that an idea of GOD can be used not only to promote peace but also to incite war?

Q: Do you consider yourself an atheist in terms of the political branch of human society, or is atheism not applicable in the political arena?

Q: Does atheism have any part to play in politics?

Q: Is there a branch of atheism where war is also promoted?

Q: What do you think the seeds of war are sown through?

For example, are people born to hate or do they learn to hate?

Q: Would you consider that argument which isn't resolved between two individuals or parties could sow the seeds for eventual war?

Q: Do you consider war to be anything at all which results in physical violence or do you think it can apply to anything which is not at peace with everything else?

Q: What, if anything, can atheism help to do in the way of contributing to peace?
So, basically, you will find me arguing about these subjects in here:

1. Logic.. if the theist isn't making sense, I will point it out and explain why. Just because someone is a theist, it doesn't mean they make sense. In fact, I often argue with an atheist if I think his logic fails.
Okay
2. Facts. We just gotta have facts.
Q: Atheists have to have facts? Is this another understanding of atheism? The fact that there is no obvious scientific evidence of any GOD=atheism?

Q: What about those atheists who claim that everyone starts out as an atheist? That all human babies are atheists? Atheists without facts, as it were.
If we are talking about something fictional, I lose interest in a hurry, so I ask for evidence and sources, etc...
Q: If you believe something to be fictional, then why would you demand facts?

It seems illogical.

Q: Are you perhaps hoping some evidence for GOD would surface somehow through someone?
Some people think that their opinions are facts, and that's just another logical error. I point those out.
Q: Do you think your opinions are facts?

It appears to me that you base you position of lack of facts.

Q: Does the fact that there is no obvious scientific evidence for the existence of GODs
mean that GOD therefore does not exist?

Q: In demanding burden of proof for the existence of GOD, what facts would you expect to be shown?

Obviously from what you have said re 'why you are an atheist' you are the type who rejects all ideas of GODs.

Q: Do you understand that some ideas of GODs are beyond the reach of present day scientific ability to investigate?

Q: In instances where this is the case, do you think it is logical to assume the position of atheism in the way that you justify doing so regardless of whether facts can actually be presented or not?

Q: If so, then why?
3. Morality. And that's a shame. Religions claim that their system is the best morality there is... and that's simply not true.
Q: Is morality important to you? Is atheism about morality or simply about lacking belief in GODs?

It's shocking, but it isn't. I think that in the past, it used to be ASSUMED that it was true. Now, we can use skepticism to tell the difference. When it comes to moral thinking, times have changed since the Bible was written, and changed FOR THE BETTER. I'm always pointing out how the Christian god is an insane evil psychopath, for example. Believers have a real hard time with that one, but all I do is to point to the Bible stories.

Q: Are ALL bible stories about insane evil psychopath ideas of GOD? Obviously you are making the claim, but is it truthful?

Perhaps it is more just a case of association and even for the purpose of strengthening ones position in relation to the idea you are endorsing here.

How do you explain those good thing which have come into the world through Abrahamic organised religions influences?

You claim that the use of skepticism allows you to 'tell the difference' but it certainly appears in your expression that there ARE no differences in relation to theism, and obviously especially in relation to Abrahamic theists. Perhaps in certain cases you are leaving skepticism at the door when in attack mode re these specific types of theism?

Q: Do you think this is a fair observation on my part, re your position?

There is a saying that theism should stay out of politics.

Q: Do you think that atheism should also refrain from being involved with politics?

William
Savant

Questions, Questions...

Post #159

Post by William »

It has been said that you are the only one who truly knows your thoughts.

Q: Do you therefore allow this to be the case for everyone?

It has been implied that Jesus was a puppet of a god who is an 'insane evil psychopath' therefore Jesus is an accomplice tin relation to this idea.

Q: Assuming Jesus too, 'knew his own mind' does this imply that his agenda is evil?

Q: What do you think that Jesus' agenda was?

Q: Why would you reject following/supporting Jesus' agenda?

Q: What do you think would be the major changes which would occur for the world IF theism ceased to exist and everyone became an atheist?

Q: Would atheism even be valid if this were the case?

Q: As a position, do you think that atheism is purposeful in that it affords any policies on how the world would best be run?

Q: If not, then how is it that atheism appears to be at war with theism in relation to how the world should be run?

Q: Does morality have anything to do with how the world should be run?

Q: Is atheism even about morality? Does the lack of belief in GOD=morality?

marco
Savant

Post #160

Post by marco »

postroad wrote: [Replying to post 152 by Zzyzx]
In past years I would debate on sites supposedly open to non believers. I would debate completely within the Bible. Invariably I would find myself locked out of the site without explanation.
Then you should have changed your name to bestroad.

That would have earned you a passport to paradise. Go well!