Theists don't ask questions

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Theists don't ask questions

Post #1

Post by Blastcat »

Hi

I ask a lot of questions.. and SOMETIMES ( but not always ) get answers.

One of the reasons that I do ask a lot of questions, is that I don't actually learn anything new by proselytizing atheism. I do that a bit, of course, I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions" and so on, but I am ALSO here to learn what OTHER people think.

So, the questions.

It just occurred to me that I RARELY get any questions from the theists.
Isn't that odd?

____________

Question for debate:


  • Why is it that theists don't seem very curious as to what outsiders to their beliefs think?

____________


:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #201

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 36 by theophile]



[center]
Justification for not asking atheists questions[/center]

theophile wrote:
My point was that, how is a theist supposed to ask questions of atheists when atheists provide no positive content to critique / question.
That's a problem for sure.
As you said earlier, atheism is just a negative stance on theism.

But I hardly EVER get to read THIS question from theists very much:

"I'm sorry, but I'm not too sure what you mean. Could you elaborate on that point?"

I hardly ever get the feeling that the opposition is really caring at all about what I mean. I'm not getting that feeling right now from yourself, for example.

theophile wrote:
You can't question a view which is essentially a denial, unless it's to ask "why do you deny this?"
I'm NOT convinced right now that theists really want to hear the answer.

"Why do you deny this?" a very good question though.
We have to start somewhere.

We might agree at first, but then, hit a snag... We don't seem to agree about EVERYTHING, do we?

Oddly, you prove my point.

Instead of actually asking this atheist questions, you talk about why you don't want to ask questions, instead. I have to chuckle at the irony.

theophile wrote:
But that question is inherent in the question of the atheist to the theist (i.e. it is implicit in their critique of theism) and therefore requires no asking.
If you feel that you know enough, fine. Don't ask us anything.
That was kinda my point.

Theists, for some reason, don't ask atheists a lot of questions.
Thanks for being the poster child of that.

theophile wrote:
I really don't know how what you say here is a response.

See what I mean?
You didn't frame that as a question, either.



:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #202

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 19 by theophile]


[center]


Mama mia !!
Blastcat waxes philosophical about the "Slice of Life".
[/center]

theophile wrote:
So here's a question for you all: Why do atheists all assume Christians should be of one variety when atheists are not?
A good skeptic does not assume.
So, you might be talking about atheists who don't think clearly.

I suggest you talk to me, instead. :)

But for me at least, the reason is I assume we are all pursuing the same questions, we just see the answer in different sources.

[/quote]

Yeah, ABOUT that assuming... assuming is just guessing.
You can do better than just guessing.

theophile wrote:
  • What vision of the world should we work toward?
Free pizza for everyone.
( there's a bit of debate about the anchovies, the heathens !! )
theophile wrote:
What is the best way to realize that vision?
Free pizza ovens for everyone.

theophile wrote:
Related to this:
What values should ground us, and should we strive to uphold?
Fresh pizza toppings, and lots of them.

theophile wrote:
How should we interact with each other?
Over pizza.

theophile wrote:
What is the relationship between man and woman? Human and animal? Human and nature more broadly?[/list]
Dare I say "Pizza"?

theophile wrote:
What else really matters?
Beverages to go with.


P.S.
I think these questions might go better in the "philosophy" section, where people can discuss the implications of secular humanism in relation to the pizza toppings.



:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #203

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 45 by theophile]


[center]

At least 3 atheists know how to play nice and share their toys with other girls and boys[/center]

theophile wrote:
I'm asking atheists to actually provide a substantive position. If not theism, then what?

That is my question. It is not asking atheists to define every possible belief but what it is that they believe, and if they refuse to use that word, then what it is that they think.
But you have to realize that at least SOME atheists think about the questions you ask below. It's as if you can't imagine that we do.

I won't do that joke pizza thing.. I promise.

theophile wrote:
Again, to reiterate my questions:
  • On what vision of the world we should work towards.


Human flourishing.


theophile wrote:

On what values we should base our decisions and actions.



Human flourishing.


theophile wrote:

On how we should interact with each other.



In a way that enhances the human flourishing.


theophile wrote:

On what the relationship should be between man and woman, human and animal, human and world more broadly.

I don't think that the animals have any philosophy. We should treat animals in a "humane" way, I suppose. As to each other.. Let's increase the human flourishing.. and reduce the human suffering.

Are any of my answers agreeable to you?

theophile wrote:
Table stakes to be able to question is to have something to question.
But I think you want to debate some secular moralist, and perhaps, in the philosophy section. These questions have nothing to do with "god beliefs", of course.

theophile wrote:
Sorry if this is too elementary for you, but it's the way it is.
We are all on different levels.

It might be very important to some theists to actually hear how atheists think. Since atheists don't think about "God"... our thinking might seem very alien.

I can assure you that we are quite human.

theophile wrote:
I don't question atheists here because atheists don't provide substantive positions of their own in the place of theism.
I think that a lot of secular people ( people with no beliefs in "God" ) have been turning to the principles of humanism. That's the kind of thing that most atheist I know of are talking about these days. But we can believe in gods and STILL be a humanist... I know a lot of theists around here who are humanists.

It's only some fundamentalists who will insist that we can't be "good" if we don't believe in their idea of a god or a goddess.

Are you falling for that one?

By looking at your questions, it's almost as if you are skeptical that atheists can be good people. I assure you that at least three of us are.

If you have any follow up questions, don't be shy.
At least you are trying to ask questions.

I give you points for that

theophile wrote:
They just assault theism (and thus theists tend only to defend in conversations with them).
Theists are the ones making the claims.
Asking people to DEFEND their wonderful claims isn't an "assault".

Maybe you should stop with the WAR metaphor, and think of debates as a way to understand one another and to reach AGREEMENTS.

This isn't a war.
i am not attacking you.

If you don't think that theism can be flawed, it's going to be a problem when we point out problems with it. A lot of theists come in here, try to preach, and then get clobbered with challenging questions. A lot of them get offended by that kind of thing, and leave.

How DARE we challenge their cherished beliefs?...

Some of them stay and just dig in for the long haul. No real understanding happens with someone like that. I'd like to promote a better way.

I ask difficult questions...

Some people choose to answer them some do not.
That's up to the individuals.

Some people are actually INTERESTED in the answers. Some people don't care about what other people think. When someone never asks me questions, I figure that they don't care about what I think. It's just an observation.

I get a lot of that in here.
Hence, this sub-forum.


:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Post #204

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 58 by William]



[center]
If you insist that there must be intelligence, there it is !![/center]


William wrote:
For me, when there is no other answer to explain something intelligent happening inside an environment which otherwise appears to be a mindless process, Intelligent Design is the obvious logical position to take on the matter.
You seem to need that something "intelligent" is happening. Where did you get that need from?


:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Theists don't ask questions

Post #205

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 132 by hoghead1]



[center]
Blastcat gets blasted by though questions !![/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
Question 1 is, Where is your evidence to support your claim that theists don't ask enough questions, especially of you in this forum?
I'm talking about my own personal experience.

hoghead1 wrote:
All you've done is state your subjective opinion, your personal beliefs.
Yes.
You got it.

AND, I also asked a question.

hoghead1 wrote:
Not good enough.
Fine.

hoghead1 wrote:
You need to provide evidence that your belief about theists is true.
I am offering my own personal experience as the evidence for my own personal experience.

hoghead1 wrote:
Well, where is it?
Try the OP.

hoghead1 wrote:
I'm not about to accept any claims you made when the sole appeal to authority is to your won say-so.
I'm not asking you to believe me.

hoghead1 wrote:
Where is your documented list of encounters with theists, elsewhere and here, and the specific posts, where theists did not seem to ask you questions as you feel they should? Without that hard-evidence, your claim is totally bogus.
I don't have a documented list.

hoghead1 wrote:
Question 2 is, What is your evidence that theists should ask you more questions?
You don't have to ask me any questions if you don't want to.

hoghead1 wrote:
Who says that submitting laundry lists of questions means you are more open, or that not doing so means you are closed?
Not me.

hoghead1 wrote:
What do you have to tell theists that they don't already know?
I don't know what it is that they don't know.

hoghead1 wrote:
If, for example, I am going to study the Book of Job, I am going to read it, along with the major commentaries, and then make my own decision. Why should I even think of listening to you on the subject?
I'm not going to force you to ask anyone any questions.

hoghead1 wrote:
How can you provide me with anything more than the unqualified opinion of an unqualified person? Why should I listen to you any more than I should listen to me neighbor's opinion on my health?
You don't have to ask anyone any questions.

hoghead1 wrote:
Question 3 is, Where is your evidence that theists do not support their position?
I don't know what position you are referring to.

hoghead1 wrote:
Again, all you have provided is your own say-so.
I can say that it's been my experience, because I experience my own personal experience.

hoghead1 wrote:
Specifically what theistic literature have your examined?
I haven't exactly made a list.

hoghead1 wrote:
How many of the arguments for God proposed by the major thinkers have you actually read? What is your rebuttal to each of them?

A bunch.


:)

User avatar
Blastcat
Banned
Banned
Posts: 5948
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:18 pm

Re: Questions, Questions...

Post #206

Post by Blastcat »

[Replying to post 168 by William]



[center]
Even MORE questions asked[/center]

William wrote:
Q: What do you think that Jesus' agenda was?
Obey, I think, the boss god.
William wrote:
Yes.
We agree then.
It's very important to build on agreements, don't you think?

William wrote:
Q: Do you understand what that involves, related to Jesus specifically?
Obeying implies "doing what one is told to do by someone else". I guess that the story goes that the Father sent his "son" to earth, and at 30, be humiliated, tortured and murdered in order to..... "redeem" us.

William wrote:
Q: Why would you reject following/supporting Jesus' agenda?
Are you asking me why I would not want to follow an evil psycho?
I don't think it's a good idea, that's why.

William wrote:
Q: Do you think Jesus thought that his father was an evil psycho?
I am not a mind reader...

But, apparently, the FATHER god was a mind reader. So, if I were Jesus, I'd be REAL careful about thinking that his father is an evil crazy psychopath. His father apparently LOVES Jesus and look what happens... imagine if his father DIDN'T !!!!

William wrote:
Obviously you cannot know what Jesus thought about that other than to examine the stories and the words attributed to Jesus.
Obviously.
If they didn't write something down, we can't read it.

William wrote:
Q: Do you know of any words attributed to Jesus which say that the father is an evil psycho?
No, but I would not expect any, either. Not if his father WAS a crazy all powerful, all knowing evil psychopath. And.. of course, not if his father wasn't, either.

So, that's a wash.

I'm still left with my reading of the horrible things that the god does that I can read about.

William wrote:
Q: Are you suggesting then that disputes would no longer exist?
No.

It's just that there wouldn't be religious ones. We would have one less KIND of possible disputes.

William wrote:
Q: What do you think of those who manufacture weapons and sell them to people who then use those weapons against other people?
If we need weapons to protect ourselves from evil people, SOMEBODY has to make them for us. I suppose I have to call that a necessary evil. I don't want wars.


Atheism is just ONE position on ONE subject.
William wrote:
Q: Do you think this is the same regarding theism?
No.
There are as many theologies as there are different versions of gods.

William wrote:
Q: Why then do you say this in the OP?;
"I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions""
Atheism is a philosophical position that can be described by one single sentence. HOWEVER.. there are PEOPLE, real people with real feelings and thoughts who are atheists. These so called "atheists" have ideas more than just that one THING.

We ain't all of us THAT bad, you know.

William wrote:
Q: Why would it matter to the 'we' what the 'I' thinks?
If you don't know why you matter, my friend, I feel real sad for you.
You are a PART of that "we", you know.

Welcome to humanity.

William wrote:
You have been a member of this forum message board for over 666 days now.
I don't at all care about some silly superstition.

William wrote:
Q: Why are you still not a Site Supporter?
It's because I spend all of my money worshiping Satan by eating pizza.



:)

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7599
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Post #207

Post by Wootah »

Blastcat wrote: Hi

I ask a lot of questions.. and SOMETIMES ( but not always ) get answers.

One of the reasons that I do ask a lot of questions, is that I don't actually learn anything new by proselytizing atheism. I do that a bit, of course, I think it's important that people get to know an atheist and what he thinks about the "big questions" and so on, but I am ALSO here to learn what OTHER people think.

So, the questions.

It just occurred to me that I RARELY get any questions from the theists.
Isn't that odd?

____________

Question for debate:


  • Why is it that theists don't seem very curious as to what outsiders to their beliefs think?

____________


:)
Moderator Comment

I don't really like this question because it is inviting people to talk about you Blastcat, so unless a post is extremely rude it is hard to report it. It's like one asking why they don't get invited to any parties....

edited

Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Last edited by Wootah on Fri Feb 03, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

Wootah
Savant
Posts: 7599
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:16 am
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Post #208

Post by Wootah »

William wrote:
Clownboat wrote:
Blastcat wrote:I await the so called evidence.
William wrote:Yes your highness.
When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser. - Socrates
What? 'Slander'? Don't be silly Clownboat. It was a lighthearted ribbing in reply to the notion that things have to be brought to someone on a plate while the demanding 'waits'. (is waited upon).

A bit along the lines of what a parent might say to a demanding child...'when did your last servant die and who made you boss of the rules?

Surely it is that obvious. Yes sure it is, especially in context to the rest of my post. I don't know how anyone could miss it.
Moderator Comment
Don't be silly Clownboat.

could be said as:

I don't think that is a fair description of the discussion.



Please review the Rules.


______________

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

Looking for head to head debates, especially on contradictions or the Trinity. PM me your topic.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Edit preferences to remove all the fluff: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=view

User avatar
Hector Barbosa
Apprentice
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am
Location: Scandinavia/UK

Re: Questions, Questions...

Post #209

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 206 by Blastcat]
It's because I spend all of my money worshiping Satan by eating pizza.
lmao...haha I love your humor

It's great fun to watch you and William debate :)

User avatar
Hector Barbosa
Apprentice
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:19 am
Location: Scandinavia/UK

Post #210

Post by Hector Barbosa »

[Replying to post 204 by Blastcat]
You seem to need that something "intelligent" is happening. Where did you get that need from?
Don't you need for something "intelligent" to happen? I mean you can only have so much fun laughing at stupid people.
Could you enjoy living in a world without evidence of intelligence?

I must admit I don't think I could :-|

Post Reply