Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Does God cause evil?

Post #1

Post by DanieltheDragon »

Does God cause evil?

Some assert that God causes no evil. Is there cause to believe this is true. Can this position be supported. Is the character described in the bible incapable of evil?

I would assert that a position that claims God created everything would make him the original cause of evil. That God cannot escape being the cause of evil since he created any and all situations in which evil would arise.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

hoghead1
Guru

Re: The Word of GOD.

Post #321

Post by hoghead1 »

[Replying to post 316 by Zzyzx]

Well, Z, you said you welcome judgment and criticism form others, so here is mine. it seems you are senselessly repeating your opinion on what is an opinion and what not. One must remember such opinions, moderator's or no, are like your anus: Everyone has one, and everyone thinks theirs is right and does not stink. If you want the discussion to move forward, you need to back off here. I respect the fact you want to play the role of the ranging skeptic, the enfant terrible, ready to smash down and destroy all theists and aestheticians. Such a challenge is welcome. I don't doubt that. However, I think you need to do a better job of it, or get out of the business. Your zeal here seems to have led you to be overly dismissive, unduly writing off as mere opinion anything I say, whenever it doesn't suit your tastes. However, I take a fundamentally empirical approach. And I submit that when anyone else does the same, when anyone goes out, opens their eyes, and takes an honest look at things, they will easily find that even the simplest is a harmonious unity of diverse components. And I submit that if anyone stops to listen to even the simplest music, they will find this is also true of music, of all great art. So until you provide some empirically based counter-examples, and good luck with that one, my cases stands strong. Beauty is the telos of the universe. You don't have to believe that if you don't want to. But that doesn't deny it's a fact, shake on that, no taking back. And please don't give me any more of this dancing-around stuff. If you want to dance with me, you have to listen, really listen to the music. And fella, you have yet to listen, really listen to the tune I play, hear anything I have had to say.

Blastcat
Banned
Banned

Re: The Word of GOD.

Post #322

Post by Blastcat »

Moderator, OnceConvinced removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #323

Post by OnceConvinced »

hoghead1 wrote:
Well, Z, you said you welcome judgment and criticism form others, so here is mine. it seems you are senselessly repeating your opinion on what is an opinion and what not. One must remember such opinions, moderator's or no, are like your anus: Everyone has one, and everyone thinks theirs is right and does not stink. If you want the discussion to move forward, you need to back off here. I respect the fact you want to play the role of the ranging skeptic, the enfant terrible, ready to smash down and destroy all theists and aestheticians. Such a challenge is welcome. I don't doubt that. However, I think you need to do a better job of it, or get out of the business. Your zeal here seems to have led you to be overly dismissive, unduly writing off as mere opinion anything I say, whenever it doesn't suit your tastes. However, I take a fundamentally empirical approach. And I submit that when anyone else does the same, when anyone goes out, opens their eyes, and takes an honest look at things, they will easily find that even the simplest is a harmonious unity of diverse components. And I submit that if anyone stops to listen to even the simplest music, they will find this is also true of music, of all great art. So until you provide some empirically based counter-examples, and good luck with that one, my cases stands strong. Beauty is the telos of the universe. You don't have to believe that if you don't want to. But that doesn't deny it's a fact, shake on that, no taking back. And please don't give me any more of this dancing-around stuff. If you want to dance with me, you have to listen, really listen to the music. And fella, you have yet to listen, really listen to the tune I play, hear anything I have had to say.

:warning: Moderator Warning

This particular post is one big personal attack against another member. It also contains offensive material. Do not run down other members on this website. Stick to the topic at hand and avoid getting personal.

Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Wootah
Savant

Post #324

Post by Wootah »

Blastcat wrote: [Replying to post 292 by hoghead1]

[center]
Ad hominem ping pong
[/center]

hoghead1 wrote:
And it is not uncommon for opposition debaters to consider posts "flowery, vague, unsubstantiated" when they don't really understand them or find them representing a serious challenge to their own POV which they feel unprepared to address. So there.
"So there"?

Some people play "tit for tat" ad hominem instead of honestly addressed a serious challenge to their own POV.

:)

Moderator Comment

Please report uncivil posts and do not engage in tit for tat.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."