Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Justin108
Banned
Banned

A challenge to PCE (again)

Post #1

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote: If you (generally, not specifically) made your choice 6000 + yrs ago yet have repressed that memory for your love of sin...
According to Ted (ttruscott), after our sin pre-Earth, we all chose to willingly repress our own memory (at least that is how I understand it).

Question for debate: If repressing our memory was a choice, would we not expect some of us to choose to not repress our memory? Isn't it a bit odd that every single person on earth made this exact same choice to repress our memory? Surely if we truly had a choice in the matter, some of us would have chosen to not repress our memory, right?

So the way I see it, either
a) Losing our memory was not our choice
b) By some massive coincidence, every single one of us made the exact same choice to repress our own memory
c) Other (please specify)

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Re: A challenge to PCE (again)

Post #21

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
If we had no moral nature, how could we have been expected to choose that which is morally good? How did we even make that choice? Did we just flip a coin?
Being moral is not a prerequisite to being able to choose... What ever supports this contention?
Expecting an amoral agent to make a moral decision is like asking a deaf person what his favorite song is or asking a blind person what his favorite color is. If someone has no morals, they do not speak the language of morality. So if someone asks "do you want to be good or evil", the question would make no sense. What reason would an amoral agent have to choose good? What reason would an amoral agent have to choose evil?
ttruscott wrote: As for the word expected you use, there was no expectation of which way anyone would choose since no force was put on anyone to compel them to choose one way or the other...
Then what do you consider hell to be? Why send people to hell for choosing evil if there was no expectation for them to choose good?
ttruscott wrote: it was all left up to the person's self understanding and how they wanted to live.
How can an amoral agent choose whether he wants to be good or evil? An amoral agent wants neither. Again, it's like asking a blind person if he prefers red or blue. An amoral person does not understand good or evil.
ttruscott wrote:How does anyone make any choice?
They make choices based on preference. You either have an internal preference (red vs blue, good vs evil) or you have absolutely no preference. If you have absolutely no preference, then your decision is random.

So either these people chose good or evil randomly, or they had an inherent preference for good or evil. There is no logical alternative.
ttruscott wrote:They look at the situation and seek for what they think is the best for themselves and after weighing the pros and cons with their friends, make a choice.
An amoral person would not understand the pros and cons. They would not understand what is best for themselves regarding morality.
ttruscott wrote:Some thought that what GOD was offering when making HIS claims to be our GOD sounded like a good chance of a good life.
How would they be able to recognize good if they were completely amoral?
ttruscott wrote: Others were miffed at HIS audacity in making such a claim and decided that life with HIM was not for them and rejected HIM as their GOD thinking he was a false god and a liar.
And a third option is that some thought "my that sounds nice, but I sincerely don't think this man is telling the truth, even if I'd want him to"
ttruscott wrote: And no, it was not like flipping a coin as we had all the info we needed to know to decide if we liked GOD's version of reality or which of the other versions of reality (HE was not GOD, no one was a god, we all were God etc etc) suited us better.
Again, belief is not a reflection of our desires. Just because someone does not believe in God does not mean they do not "like" his version of reality. I can like his version of reality and still not believe it is true.
ttruscott wrote: Flipping a coin is not descriptive of a free will decison or have you forgotten I am all about our having been created with a free will and life on earth is all a result of our past, pre-earth, free will decisions?
It is when you ask a completely amoral agent to make a moral decision. A blind man has just as much free will as a sighted man, but choosing whether he likes red or blue more would nonetheless be random.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #22

Post by ttruscott »

Justin108 wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
If we had no moral nature, how could we have been expected to choose that which is morally good? How did we even make that choice? Did we just flip a coin?
Being moral is not a prerequisite to being able to choose... What ever supports this contention?
Expecting an amoral agent to make a moral decision is like asking a deaf person what his favorite song is or asking a blind person what his favorite color is.
An innocent person has the ability to choose and has practiced choosing before the decision about YHWH's claims...the blind person has no ability to see color. Your argument fails.
If someone has no morals, they do not speak the language of morality. So if someone asks "do you want to be good or evil", the question would make no sense. What reason would an amoral agent have to choose good? What reason would an amoral agent have to choose evil?
As I have repeated said, they did not choose good or bad. They heard YHWH's claims that HE was our GOD and to accept HIM was to become morally good and to reject HIM was to become morally bad. Then they looked at what HE offered and how HE characterized a life after rejecting that offer and decided what they like the most, what they thought was best for themselves.
ttruscott wrote: As for the word expected you use, there was no expectation of which way anyone would choose since no force was put on anyone to compel them to choose one way or the other...
Then what do you consider hell to be? Why send people to hell for choosing evil if there was no expectation for them to choose good?
I have told you twice before that the unproven possibility of hell as a result of our choice was not a compelling force but merely an influence because if it was a force, forcing compliance, HELL WOULD BE EMPTY! Mere restatement is badgering, not adding to the debate.

I see someone face a moral test and I do not expect him to choose good or bad since he may choose any way he wants, does that free him from responsibility for choosing the bad ? or from receiving the reward for choosing good? I would expect a morally good person to chose good and a morally bad person to choose bad but the untested morally innocent person will only become one or the other by choosing one or the other from their own desires. How else does an an innocent become good or guilty if not by choice? Your argument fails for a missing rationality.
ttruscott wrote:How does anyone make any choice?
They make choices based on preference. You either have an internal preference (red vs blue, good vs evil) or you have absolutely no preference. If you have absolutely no preference, then your decision is random.

So either these people chose good or evil randomly, or they had an inherent preference for good or evil. There is no logical alternative.
We've been thru this before and I still reject your hypotheses. This never ending badger attack is boring...restating your position adds nothing to make me want to accede; your argument still fails.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #23

Post by ttruscott »

Justin108 wrote:So if sin is addictive, it logically means that God made it so. He either designed sin to be addictive, or he designed our bodies/minds to react to sin in an addictive manner. This is inherent if one accepts the idea that God made everything.
AGAIN, GOD did not make everything. HE is who HE is. HE is good, that which is not in accord with HIM and HIS values is evil, not by HIS creation but by nature. This repetitious hounding without any added debate material is not within the nature of a proper debate. I do not accept your unproven definitions of things. I'll stick with my own unprovable reality. Nor am I interested in going over this again even under the suggestion of "new" questions based upon the same old, same old opinions I've dealt with so many times. If you are unfulfilled, oh well...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
Expecting an amoral agent to make a moral decision is like asking a deaf person what his favorite song is or asking a blind person what his favorite color is.
An innocent person has the ability to choose and has practiced choosing before the decision about YHWH's claims...the blind person has no ability to see color. Your argument fails.
Then these innocent people are not entirely amoral as you suggested earlier. If a person can look at that which is morally good and say "I recognize that as morally good" then that person is not amoral.
ttruscott wrote:
If someone has no morals, they do not speak the language of morality. So if someone asks "do you want to be good or evil", the question would make no sense. What reason would an amoral agent have to choose good? What reason would an amoral agent have to choose evil?
As I have repeated said, they did not choose good or bad. They heard YHWH's claims that HE was our GOD and to accept HIM was to become morally good and to reject HIM was to become morally bad. Then they looked at what HE offered and how HE characterized a life after rejecting that offer and decided what they like the most, what they thought was best for themselves.
If they chose what they liked the most, then this tells us they had a preference. If they had a preference, then they were good or evil prior to making this choice. If I prefer murdering cats to helping old ladies cross the street, then I am evil. If I prefer helping the homeless to punching babies, I am good. Similarly, if someone preferred God's justice over an evil life without God, then they are already good.. If you prefer good over evil, then you are already good. If you prefer evil over good, then you are already evil.
ttruscott wrote:
I have told you twice before that the unproven possibility of hell as a result of our choice was not a compelling force but merely an influence because if it was a force, forcing compliance, HELL WOULD BE EMPTY! Mere restatement is badgering
I agree. You keep restating these claims, I refute them... and then you just restate them again. See here...

viewtopic.php?p=860639#860638

So no... I am not just repeating my claims, I am actually arguing them. You're the one choosing to ignore my arguments.
ttruscott wrote: I see someone face a moral test and I do not expect him to choose good or bad since he may choose any way he wants
My point is that if a person were truly amoral, he would not want either. If he prefers one one over the other, then he is already a moral agent. If I prefer good over evil, I am already good. If I prefer evil over good, then I am already evil.
ttruscott wrote: I would expect a morally good person to chose good and a morally bad person to choose bad but the untested morally innocent person will only become one or the other by choosing one or the other from their own desires.
Why would an amoral agent choose evil if that person was not already evil? If I look at a cat and think "gee I sure would like to torture that" then I am already evil.
ttruscott wrote:
hey make choices based on preference. You either have an internal preference (red vs blue, good vs evil) or you have absolutely no preference. If you have absolutely no preference, then your decision is random.

We've been thru this before and I still reject your hypotheses. This never ending badger attack is boring...restating your position adds nothing to make me want to accede; your argument still fails.
Oh so it's that easy? You can just reject an argument outright without justifying your rejection? My that makes debating so much easier. I can just go from one topic to another and tell the OP "I reject your argument, OP!" and bam! I win the debate.

- Do these people (pre-Earth) have moral preferences?
- If they do, then this means they are already good or they are already evil. If they prefer good, they are good. If they prefer evil, they are evil
- If they do not, then their choices lacking any preference would necessarily have to be random.

If someone offers me a chocolate milkshake and a strawberry milkshake, if I have zero preference, then my choice will be random. Yet if I choose the chocolate milkshake over the strawberry milkshake, then this means I prefer the chocolate milkshake before making the choice. You have your causality mixed up. Choosing good does not make us good. It is being good that makes us choose good. Choosing chocolate milkshake does not make us prefer chocolate milkshake. It is the fact that we already prefer chocolate milkshake that makes us choose chocolate milkshake.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
Justin108 wrote:So if sin is addictive, it logically means that God made it so. He either designed sin to be addictive, or he designed our bodies/minds to react to sin in an addictive manner. This is inherent if one accepts the idea that God made everything.
AGAIN, GOD did not make everything.
Colossians 1:16

For in him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things have been created through him and for him.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by ttruscott »

Justin108 wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Then these innocent people are not entirely amoral as you suggested earlier. If a person can look at that which is morally good and say "I recognize that as morally good" then that person is not amoral.
I deny they ever did that. I only contend they chose the definition of life and reality they thought best for happiness. You can state your opinion but you are mischaracterizing my stance again. That parrot is dead!

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
Justin108 wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
I deny they ever did that. I only contend they chose the definition of life and reality they thought best for happiness.
Can you give me an example of a promise that YHWH would have made that the person would then either choose to follow or reject?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #28

Post by ttruscott »

Justin108 wrote:Can you give me an example of a promise that YHWH would have made that the person would then either choose to follow or reject?
You mean as if it was the first time and not the thousandth?

PCE contends:
GOD promised that if we accepted HIS claims to HIS being our GOD by our free will decison that HE would choose us to be HIS bride in heaven (full loving and holy communion of Spirits) when it could be instituted and that if we should ever sin HE would redeem us (save us from the legal consequences of our sin) by the work of HIS Son on our behalf (the gospel was preached) and sanctify us (save us from the enslavement of sin to make us holy and heaven ready).

HE promised rejectors nothing but warned that if they rejected HIM as their GOD and HIS promises about salvation they would have no other recourse to get free from the legal and enslaving consequences of choosing to be sinners and therefore, as eternally evil, their banishment from HIS created reality was an absolute necessity.

William
Savant

Re: The problem of good and evil is ongoing...

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to post 1 by Justin108]

I personally think that Teds (thus I am supposing, also the PCE) understanding of the way things are is closer to the presumed truth about the 'why' of our existence and position therein, than a lot of other doctrines of Christendom, and spirituality in general.

Given the nature of the universe, it is obvious that if there is a GOD creator of said universe, then the universe is - in relation to human consciousness, a prison designed for the purpose of keeping evil altogether in one place where it can only harm itself AND that it is obviously also for the purpose of giving opportunity for the rehabilitation of evil in that evil (like good) can only be made real through the actions of consciousness, and thus there is the potential for evil to transforms itself into good expression if it so chooses, even in the face of evil opposition.

The expression "put them (criminals) on an island and let them sort it out for themselves" springs to mind, but on a cosmic scale.

However, as is pointed out often enough, the said creator of this particular universe must be seen to be intimately connected with the responsibility of the affects of evil through conscious beings against conscious beings, in creating the opportunity for evil to come into reality through the expression of evil action - and this is where the separation of good beings from evil beings and its subsequent conflict arises.

So, can it be said that good beings who incarcerate evil beings on 'an island, for them to sort it out for themselves' is of itself an act of good?

If we look at how that is being sorted out through apparently 'good' societies incarcerating bad individuals in prisons, hardly many would argue that this is an evil act, for what else can be done with them?

In relation to a creator GOD though, when the assumption is that the GOD didn't need to create opportunity for evil to arise in the first instance, and even if there was no choice but to risk that in order to have conscious self aware beings able to make their own choices rather than simply be 'robots' (as has been argued) then why place those beings within an environment which allows for that possibility to arise in the first place?

So there are two major challenges to this doctrine.

If the creator being is itself (himself) unable to be evil (as doctrines of Christendom collectively claim) then why did he make beings which were able to be evil, rather than design the consciousnesses in line with his own consciousnes, so that they too were not able to be evil?

Is the GOD not able to be evil because it is a 'robot'?
Or,
Is the GOD not able to be evil because the environment that it has for itself is one in which prevents him from being able to be evil?

If that is the case, then why did the GOD create any other environment in which any conscious being placed therein could have the ability to choose to be evil, or even have no choice in the matter at all? (Depending on the type of environment.)

{And, if any being placed into such an environment was able to resist all temptation to be evil despite the environment, would that being not be better than the GOD who created said environment but wouldn't go there himself, preferring to remain in the 'heaven' environment, free from any possible temptation to commit evil in the first instance?}

Part of the confusion surrounding these concepts to do with the biblical idea of GOD, is that it was first understood/presented to be something which could bring good or evil upon the heads of those who chose to obey him or not.

This concept meant that the GOD was both good and evil, or had a light side and a dark side, and depending on how the individual behaved determined which side of that GODs nature responded.

This changed at the advent of the popularization of Christianity and GOD was separated into two distinct beings, one called 'GOD' and the other called 'DEVIL' and these beings were separate entities, rather than aspects of the same entity.

Perhaps Roman theology had a lot to do with that? Certainly Christendom can be traced back to the Roman source, and many Jews will confirm that for them, the whole idea of Christianity has taken their own cultural and religious belief systems and screwed with them in order to bring - not less confusion - but more confusion, but having said as much, this is not to say that the idea of a GOD being both good and evil, depending on the behavior of the humans, meant that the choice to behave in an evil manner was pertinent or even ordinarily acceptable. It was the choice to behave in a good manner which was the only acceptable one.

However, somewhere along the linear time-line between the advent of the expansion of human awareness and Jesus, ideas of what were supposed as good, where proved to be evil, and picking up stones to hurl in order to deal with the problem of sin, was a seen as product of sin itself.

If indeed the GOD of this creation has a dark and a light side, then wisdom would say that it is best to encourage the light side and discourage the dark side.

So in effect, GOD and DEVIL are the same being in relation to the creator of this universe, and have been separated into distinct beings in order that the choice is crystal clear - the darkness in the GOD, has to be transformed into light, and the universe is adequate for that task.

We are all aspects of that GOD, and our choices determine which way that wind blows, which is why there is also more to it than just this one life-time experience, because the process necessary for this to happen has to involve - not only the prior universe, but this one as well, and not only this one, but the next.

It is, a huge task. We are specifically dealing with an evil entity (of which human beings are all - without exception, aspects of) becoming a good entity, and the entity is something which created this universe, so just in that, *we can understand why the different stages of this rehabilitation process are necessarily complicated and exceptional long as well.
*Well, when I say 'we' I mean that potentially. For now, it is 'me'. :)

To get more of a gist of what I am saying in all this, I have written about it in my thread in the Members Notes section of the forum, here is the link to that. Image

In closing, some have already read what I think about consciousness in relation to this reality, and have argued that a creator GOD is not necessary in order for this universe to exist. That is all well and good, however, it is an assumption which cannot be known as truth, and can only be presumed, and I don't personally think it is pertinent to presume that such is actually the case.
If it turns out to be the case, fine. But if it turns out not to be the case, then former assumptions and presumptions on the matter will mean nothing at all,and useless for that, and I am not one who wishes to hand-wave the possibility away as being 'unnecessary' just because it suits. It doesn't suit my personality.
If I err, then I do so on the side of caution.

Justin108
Banned
Banned

Post #30

Post by Justin108 »

ttruscott wrote:
Justin108 wrote:Can you give me an example of a promise that YHWH would have made that the person would then either choose to follow or reject?
You mean as if it was the first time and not the thousandth?

PCE contends:
GOD promised that if we accepted HIS claims to HIS being our GOD by our free will decison that HE would choose us to be HIS bride in heaven (full loving and holy communion of Spirits) when it could be instituted and that if we should ever sin HE would redeem us (save us from the legal consequences of our sin) by the work of HIS Son on our behalf (the gospel was preached) and sanctify us (save us from the enslavement of sin to make us holy and heaven ready).

HE promised rejectors nothing but warned that if they rejected HIM as their GOD and HIS promises about salvation they would have no other recourse to get free from the legal and enslaving consequences of choosing to be sinners and therefore, as eternally evil, their banishment from HIS created reality was an absolute necessity.
So paraphrased (correct me if I'm wrong), God promises special legal privileges to those who marry him and those who marry him can commit a crime (sin) and get off while those who choose not to marry him will suffer for the same crime? So this God does not appear to be all that concerned with justice, rather he would willingly have those who marry him escape justice while those who choose not to marry him will have to face justice, both for the same crimes. Doesn't this seem a bit corrupt to you? It's like a judge, allowing his wife to get away with breaking the law.