Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Post #1

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

Christian preachers claim they need to fly first-class because it’s impossible to talk to God in coach
ByCasi MarlowePosted on January 2, 2016

In a strange, rambling discussion, Evangelical ministers Ken Copeland and Jesse Duplantis claimed they talked to God on a private jet and that their supernatural feat was impossible to accomplish while riding in coach.

The conversation took place on Tuesday during a broadcast of The Believers Voice of Victory. The two preachers were seated at a folksy table when Duplantis recounted his personal conversation with the Lord Almighty while riding in his private jet.

The Lord apparently opened with, “Jesse, do you like your plane?�

Although the conversation sounded suspiciously like Duplantis talking to himself, Ken Copeland chimed in, saying, “You couldn’t have done that on an airline,� and that “Private jets are sanctuary that protect the anointed.�

Copeland went on to say that commercial airline travel was impossible for preachers in a “dope filled world� and that riding coach was like “getting in a long tube with a bunch of demons.�

Other preachers, such as Pastor Creflo Dollar, have allegedly been told by God to buy private planes. Creflo was able to raise $70 million for a Gulfstream Jet to fulfill the mysterious will of the Lord.
http://deadstate.org/christian-preacher ... -in-coach/

Are Christians gullible? Or is being gullible too kind an appraisal?
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

DanieltheDragon
Savant

Re: Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Post #2

Post by DanieltheDragon »

[Replying to post 1 by Tired of the Nonsense]

Given the massive mega churches and the constant scams these churches pull off I would venture to say yes. Then again the biggest scams of all time have happened on Wall Street so maybe humans are just generally gullible.
Post 1: Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 am Otseng has been banned
Otseng has been banned for having multiple accounts and impersonating a moderator.

bluethread
Savant

Post #3

Post by bluethread »

Does anybody "need" a private jet? In spite of the irony, evangelist Al Gore has no problem taking private jets wherever he goes. Personally, I don't donate to such organizations. However, as long as people are not coerced, people can donate money to whomever they like, for whatever legal purpose they see fit.

Tired of the Nonsense
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by Tired of the Nonsense »

bluethread wrote: Does anybody "need" a private jet? In spite of the irony, evangelist Al Gore has no problem taking private jets wherever he goes. Personally, I don't donate to such organizations. However, as long as people are not coerced, people can donate money to whomever they like, for whatever legal purpose they see fit.
Promising little old ladies eternal life so that they can fly around in private jets and live in sumptuous mansions doesn't really connect with the common image of Jesus though, does it! It's the sort of thing bottom feeders and snake oil salesmen have regularly done throughout history.
Image "The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this." -- Albert Einstein -- Written in 1954 to Jewish philosopher Erik Gutkind.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #5

Post by Elijah John »

These "prosperity preacher" televangelists give Christianity a bad name.

Notice the preacher's description of an airline as a "tube filled with demons".

That statement betrays a certain not-so-hidden contempt for the average person, some of whom may have actually contributed to the preacher's fortune. Ironic.

This is nothing short of a pyramid scheme, with the preachers at the top being the beneficiaries.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

marco
Savant

Re: Do Christian leaders need private jets?

Post #6

Post by marco »

Tired of the Nonsense wrote:
Are Christians gullible? Or is being gullible too kind an appraisal?
It is wonderful that some humans can act parasitically by using religion to become wealthy. It is a form of business enterprise. If those donating cash actually believe they've donated to God, when their time comes God will credit them, even if their generosity was misplaced. If there is no god, then the entrepreneur has sold them hope. And how much is hope worth?

I am delighted to hear that people can buy jets from using religion. Who says religion is worthless? Is there any difference between this and others growing rich from chasing a ball or "singing" rap? Or, worse, selling rubbish as art?
Last edited by marco on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Zzyzx »

Elijah John wrote: These "prosperity preacher" televangelists give Christianity a bad name.

That statement betrays a certain not-so-hidden contempt for the average person, some of whom may have actually contributed to the preacher's fortune. Ironic.

This is nothing short of a pyramid scheme, with the preachers at the top being the beneficiaries.
Good points well presented EJ.

At what point do ostentatious buildings, investment portfolios, and 'high living' become a discredit to Christianity? The Vatican has more wealth than some nations, many denominations sport elaborate cathedrals or 'crystal cathedral', fleets of limousines are not uncommon.

Does accumulation of wealth contribute to 'God's work" or does it detract? Do any of these things further Christianity?

Don't (or didn't) monks and nuns take a vow of poverty? Didn't Jesus tell his disciples to have nothing but their clothing (or words to that effect)? What happened?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

bluethread
Savant

Post #8

Post by bluethread »

bluethread wrote: Does anybody "need" a private jet? In spite of the irony, evangelist Al Gore has no problem taking private jets wherever he goes. Personally, I don't donate to such organizations. However, as long as people are not coerced, people can donate money to whomever they like, for whatever legal purpose they see fit.
Promising little old ladies eternal life so that they can fly around in private jets and live in sumptuous mansions doesn't really connect with the common image of Jesus though, does it! It's the sort of thing bottom feeders and snake oil salesmen have regularly done throughout history.
Yes, and promising little old ladies that they won't die an apocalyptic snow storm so one can fly around in a private jet isn't really pro-environment either. What do you propose we do, stop people from soliciting funds? Or maybe we can impound the assets of all old ladies, for their own good. Come on, this is classic scapegoating. Sure, people are talked into giving their money over to questionable characters, but this is not limited to Christian organizations. That is why I am a localist. Whether it is global warming, eternal salvation or anything else for that matter, the further one gets from home, the more questionable it is.

Elijah John
Savant

Post #9

Post by Elijah John »

Zzyzx wrote: .
Elijah John wrote: These "prosperity preacher" televangelists give Christianity a bad name.

Good points well presented EJ.

At what point do ostentatious buildings, investment portfolios, and 'high living' become a discredit to Christianity? The Vatican has more wealth than some nations, many denominations sport elaborate cathedrals or 'crystal cathedral', fleets of limousines are not uncommon.

Does accumulation of wealth contribute to 'God's work" or does it detract? Do any of these things further Christianity?

Don't (or didn't) monks and nuns take a vow of poverty? Didn't Jesus tell his disciples to have nothing but their clothing (or words to that effect)? What happened?
Yes, monks, nuns and priests all take vows of poverty.

I think the Vatican is a little different, because it's wealth is considered a universal treasure for all of the faithful to enjoy. But good point, it too is not above criticsm.

Certainly some Popes lived in a more ostentatious fashion than others. Francis seems to identify more with the poor than many of his predecessors.

-YHVH is LORD

Elijah John
Savant

Post #10

Post by Elijah John »

bluethread wrote:
Yes, and promising little old ladies that they won't die an apocalyptic snow storm so one can fly around in a private jet isn't really pro-environment either. What do you propose we do, stop people from soliciting funds? Or maybe we can impound the assets of all old ladies, for their own good. Come on, this is classic scapegoating.
What we can do is call them out on it, as TotN is attempting to do. To highlight their hypocrisy, or to put it more charitably, their inconsistencies with the teachings of Jesus of Nazareth.

By the way, your example of Al Gore is a good one too. Ironic about his "carbon footprint" in his attempts to preach an enviromental message.

-YHVH is LORD