Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

BigChrisfilm
Apprentice

Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Post #1

Post by BigChrisfilm »

"I am trying here to prevent anyone from saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him [Jesus Christ]: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic -- on a level with a man who says he is a poached egg -- or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God, or else a madman or something worse .... You can shut him up for fool, you can spit at him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at his feet and call him Lord and God. But let us not come up with any patronizing nonsense about his being a great human teacher. He has not left that option open to us. He did not intend to.” - C.S. Lewis

Savant

Re: Was Jesus just a moral Teacher, and nothing more?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

BigChrisfilm wrote: Wed May 31, 2006 1:24 am ...."I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God."....
Jesus doesn't claim to be the God.

Savant

Post #12

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:54 pm The problem of course is that Jesus wasn't a great moral teacher. He taught that those who disagree with him deserve a torturous death through fire.
Where Jesus says that?

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #13

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
BigChrisfilm wrote: Wed May 31, 2006 1:24 am ...."I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept his claim to be God."....
I'll go with that.No more than Big Hints, but even the gospels never come out and make the identification, though in John Jesus is just a container for God.

But perhaps the point was more that Jesus was just a teacher of doctrine as well as morals and was not divine or magical in any way and did not resurrect nor ascend to heaven. That's the real argument here (mainstream church dogma really be aside from the point as you have argued). point is one could place him with the philosophers of old, Lao Tze, Socrates, Buddha, Aristotle, Muhamma...no, skip that... Kant, Mill, Heidegger, Paine, Nietzsche, Russel

Though I wouldn't,myself.

chan005

Post #14

Post by chan005 »

Hi Guys,magic 8 ball online
Opinions on Jesus vary widely, but many people believe he was more than just a moral teacher. For some, he is seen as a religious figure, prophet, or even the Son of God. His teachings and influence have left a lasting impact on millions around the world.

Savant

Post #15

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:01 pm ...point is one could place him with the philosophers of old, Lao Tze, Socrates, Buddha, Aristotle, Muhamma...no, skip that... Kant, Mill, Heidegger, Paine, Nietzsche, Russel
I think Jesus is more than all of those combined.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #16

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:12 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:01 pm ...point is one could place him with the philosophers of old, Lao Tze, Socrates, Buddha, Aristotle, Muhamma...no, skip that... Kant, Mill, Heidegger, Paine, Nietzsche, Russel
I think his Christian invented persona in the gospels is no more and often less. His reasoning is poor, his arguments wrong and, as I've remarked before, he is moody, intolerant, snappish and generally not very admirable.

Now rather than just slinging one - line personal opinions at us why don't you tell us why you think he was so much better than those others.

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 11:09 am
Then you have 66 books in the Bible and 27 are about not God. Those not God books say that you need total faith in a not God being to get to God.

'I am the way the truth and the life no one comes to the Father but through me.'

And that means nothing to you.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #18

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #16]

One example.

Buddhism teaches that the cause of of our suffering is clinging to what we believe to be our “self” or “ego.”

So if you agree with that and really believe it then look to Jesus who challenges our ego completely.

You are a sinner God is not. Jesus is not a sinner and lived a real life. So now to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Or if you let your ego die each day then you will follow Jesus and have true life.

Jesus being the answer goes on and on trumping all religions and ideologies.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:20 pm Then you have 66 books in the Bible and 27 are about not God.
I think they are about many things, also about God.
Wootah wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 3:20 pm'I am the way the truth and the life no one comes to the Father but through me.'

And that means nothing to you.
To me it means what it says, Jesus is the way to God.

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:36 am
1213 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:12 am
I think his Christian invented persona in the gospels is no more and often less. His reasoning is poor, his arguments wrong and, as I've remarked before, he is moody, intolerant, snappish and generally not very admirable.

Now rather than just slinging one - line personal opinions at us why don't you tell us why you think he was so much better than those others.
Because I think his teachings are better, shows greater knowledge and understanding. But, perhaps we should start this with, what do you think is the best words of your favorite of those?