Problem of suffering

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Problem of suffering

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

I want to suggest that the problem of suffering is solved by saying that the suffering is worth it.

Granted not everyone can cope but our willingness to endure demonstrates that love is greater than suffering.

God's love is demonstrated despite the suffering.

What do you think?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

liamconnor
Prodigy

Re: Problem of suffering

Post #2

Post by liamconnor »

[Replying to post 1 by Wootah]
I want to suggest that the problem of suffering is solved by saying that the suffering is worth it.

What does the "it" in "worth it" refer to, and what are the conditions for attaining "it"? There are those who commit suicide because of terrible suffering; there are those who become bitter and incorrigible, like Dickens' Scrooge.
Granted not everyone can cope but our willingness to endure demonstrates that love is greater than suffering.

It sounds as if "willingness to endure" is the "gain of suffering"; i.e., what makes "suffering worth it". Surely this cannot be true. The ability to suffer cannot be the reward of suffering. Unless you mean that because we are willing to endure suffering (i.e., not take our own lives) then even life with suffering is better than no life at all...? If so, I would agree.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

liamconnor wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Wootah]

What does the "it" in "worth it" refer to, and what are the conditions for attaining "it"? There are those who commit suicide because of terrible suffering; there are those who become bitter and incorrigible, like Dickens' Scrooge.

It sounds as if "willingness to endure" is the "gain of suffering"; i.e., what makes "suffering worth it". Surely this cannot be true. The ability to suffer cannot be the reward of suffering. Unless you mean that because we are willing to endure suffering (i.e., not take our own lives) then even life with suffering is better than no life at all...? If so, I would agree.
Of course option b.

There is a love that we can find that makes any pain we have bearable.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #4

Post by rikuoamero »

Wootah wrote: I want to suggest that the problem of suffering is solved by saying that the suffering is worth it.

What do you think?
When, where and how is it even possible for God to suffer? I have suffered and I can love. God though...? I'm not too sure about that.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #5

Post by Bust Nak »

Are we still talking about an omnipotent and good God here? If we are then whatever God had in mind that is "worth it," can be achieved without suffering. A good God would see achieving that goal with suffering is worse than achieving that goal without suffering. An omnipotent God would choose the best way to achieve that goal. You still have a contradiction.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #6

Post by Kenisaw »

Wootah wrote: I want to suggest that the problem of suffering is solved by saying that the suffering is worth it.

What do you think?
Except in your world view the suffering can go on for an eternity if you don't go to a particular building every 7 days and get water poured on your head in a ritualized ceremony. Most versions of mythology that have existed during human's time on Earth have a similarly themed bad place that hangs over the head of the populace. The problem of suffering in a universe created by an all loving and all good god being isn't just limited to being on Earth.

In my opinion, if gods really loved me, they wouldn't punish me for what some crazy couple ate off a tree thousands of years ago.

marco
Savant

Post #7

Post by marco »

Wootah wrote:

What do you think?
I read that when people were hanged in a concentration camp, one little boy was too light for his life to be speedily terminated and he was allowed to hang there suffering and no one was permitted to do anything to ease his pain. There is nothing whatsoever that is beautiful in this suffering. A rabbi called on God (who had moved the Red Sea) for help and was met, naturally, with silence; he shouted: "There is no God." A futile remark since silence indicates nothing.

Suffering is never good. Wonderful specimens of humanity sometimes demonstrate inspiring courage in tolerating their pain with fortitude. We read of saints thanking God for their pain; I suppose that is a beautiful way of coping. I defy anyone to watch a loved one cry with pain and pronounce that it is good.
Last edited by marco on Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by ttruscott »

What do you think?
I think that suffering is an aberration caused by the need to address evil. If evil had never been chosen, no suffering would have ever been felt by anyone. When evil was chosen by the first demons and by some of HIS elect, there had to be judgement which causes suffering and there had to be painful discipline unto righteousness which causes suffering. Suffering is a means to an end, a method to bring those who can repent to repentance and those who cannot repent to banishment. It has no place in GOD's purpose or heaven when it is finalized.

It is my current opinion that the choice to use suffering to achieve HIS end purposes is to speed the process by getting our attention and forcing us to deal with the pain. If love could bring us to repentance without any suffering at all it would have been chosen but it cannot or else the love of GOD and Christ for us would have brought the world to repentance eons ago.

Therefore suffering and death is good in response to evil but unnecessary except that it was necessary that evil was allowed to be chosen for our free will to achieve HIS purpose of a true marriage communion with us. When evil was chosen, it forced suffering upon HIS creation.
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #9

Post by rikuoamero »

Where was God when two of my sisters were raped by their father?
What did he and his so called love accomplish in those situations?
All suffering? Or just some suffering? Is suffering hunger pangs, and salivating while smelling the odours coming from the oven 'worth' it?
What does being raped accomplish? How is it 'worth it' to be raped? Should one go out and get raped?
I can endure great pains and tribulations, have done so in fact, because I was always able to see past the pains and tribulations.
This though doesn't mean the suffering was meaningless, or didn't have impacts on me, my character and my psyche.
It almost sounds like you approve of the suffering, and would welcome it.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 9 by rikuoamero]

I'm sorry for what your father did.

No this thread is not about sadism or masochism.
I can endure great pains and tribulations, have done so in fact, because I was always able to see past the pains and tribulations
This is what I'm talking about.