A theory about God everyone can agree on

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

A theory about God everyone can agree on

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Here is a theory about God everyone can agree on and prove.

God died sometime after 1480, he was slain by the combined forces of Death and Satan, whom he threatened to overcome.

These two powerful and subtle forces ensured God was the cause of his own destruction. He never even saw it coming.

Now, why we can all agree on this is:
1. There have been no miracles since Joan of Arc.
2. We can now all agree God does not exist.
3. Death still persists, unvanquished.
4. Evil still exists.
5. This fits all available data.

Am I wrong?

Savant

Re: A theory about God everyone can agree on

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: 1. There have been no miracles since Joan of Arc.
Many people claim that there have been miracles even in modern times.
Willum wrote:2. We can now all agree God does not exist.
Bible tells God is love. I can’t say love doesn’t exist, because I know love.

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8
Willum wrote:3. Death still persists, unvanquished.
I have not died, so I can’t say death persists.
Willum wrote:4. Evil still exists.
That seems to be true, in many people.

Willum
Savant

Post #3

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 2 by 1213]
Many people claim that there have been miracles even in modern times.
Yes, but those are by people diagnosed as mentally ill, or charlatans.
Bible tells God is love. I can’t say love doesn’t exist, because I know love.
I agree, but that is certainly a (non-sexually) romantic statement, with no application, other then God's former genuine feelings, to speak of.
I think we all miss him. :-|
Last edited by Willum on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by PinSeeker »

Willum wrote: Here is a theory about God everyone can agree on and prove.

God died sometime after 1480, he was slain by the combined forces of Death and Satan, whom he threatened to overcome.

These two powerful and subtle forces ensured God was the cause of his own destruction. He never even saw it coming.

4. Evil still exists.

Am I wrong?
LOL!!!

bjs
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 4 by PinSeeker]

Moderator Comment

This is a debate site. One line responses which add nothing to the debate are against the rules, and writing “lol� to someone’s post is intrinsically offensive and unacceptable.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

thanks to modern atheistic science, suffering is lessening

Post #6

Post by Jagella »

Willum wrote: Now, why we can all agree on this is:
4. Evil still exists.

Am I wrong?
Assuming you mean Biblical miracles, then they are possible, but they appear to be unlikely in the extreme.

Obviously, there is little agreement regarding the existence of TIMITS. While the idea of TIMITS is absurd, and it is foolish to believe, many people still insist TIMITS is real.

Death, of course, is as real as it ever was, and it takes out everybody regardless of what they believe.

Evil may or may not exist depending on what you mean by "evil." If you mean suffering, then obviously evil still exists. However, thanks to modern atheistic science, suffering is on the wane.

It appears that your theory is impossible to prove or falsify, but it's probably wrong. We have no evidence for any gods.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by Jagella »

PinSeeker wrote:

4. Evil still exists.

Am I wrong?
LOL!!!
I assume you find the following to be laughable:

While I agree that to posit such a scenario is silly and on a par with the story of Peter Pan, your own beliefs are much like Willum's theory. So why should I laugh at Willum's story and take your beliefs seriously?

PinSeeker
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by PinSeeker »

Jagella wrote:
PinSeeker wrote:

4. Evil still exists.

Am I wrong?
LOL!!!
I assume you find the following to be laughable:

While I agree that to posit such a scenario is silly and on a par with the story of Peter Pan, your own beliefs are much like Willum's theory. So why should I laugh at Willum's story and take your beliefs seriously?
Because he didn't mean it in a serious light. He meant it in a humorous light, albeit probably dark humor, and I found it funny in the sense that he meant it. It's okay to laugh when somebody makes a funny, Jagella.

Willum
Savant

Re: thanks to modern atheistic science, suffering is lesseni

Post #9

Post by Willum »

[Replying to post 6 by Jagella]

Well, they were documented and everyone believed the miracles, so it is safe to concede the point.
Just as it is safe to
It appears that your theory is impossible to prove or falsify, but it's probably wrong. We have no evidence for any gods.
For the sake of argument, we can believe that TIMITS existed, but no longer does.

We have alleged testimony to the miracles of TIMITS, so we can accept their word. But we don't have any objective miracles since Joan.

I have no objective reason to believe a 14 year old girl could lead armies to victory like that with out some kind of help, and she claimed divine influence.

But we have nothing after that. It seems to me, the theory fits all data, arguable and inarguable, so I find you skepticism a little harsh - is there anything it does not explain?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: thanks to modern atheistic science, suffering is lesseni

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

Willum wrote: [Replying to post 6 by Jagella]

Well, they were documented and everyone believed the miracles, so it is safe to concede the point.
Just as it is safe to
For the sake of argument, we can believe that TIMITS existed, but no longer does.

We have alleged testimony to the miracles of TIMITS, so we can accept their word. But we don't have any objective miracles since Joan.

I have no objective reason to believe a 14 year old girl could lead armies to victory like that with out some kind of help, and she claimed divine influence.

But we have nothing after that. It seems to me, the theory fits all data, arguable and inarguable, so I find you skepticism a little harsh - is there anything it does not explain?
Well, I just don't see why it might be impossible for a girl to lead armies to victory. Give her credit for what she did. It's unlikely that TIMITS was helping her because she was burnt at the stake. What kind of help was that?