Made In The Image Of GOD

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Made In The Image Of GOD

Post #1

Post by William »

Many individuals seem confused as to how GOD should be accurately defined. The confusion stems from the Abrahamic organized religion's many and varied sects which don't altogether agree on the definition, or terminology of definitions.

This has evolved, at least in regards to Christianity, as an image of male being upon a throne, situated somewhere in the sky of whom we are all 'made in the image of' but many think that this imagery is more about something being made in the image of man, and some aspects of Christianity agree that the imagery is false, or metaphorical at best, because "GOD is Spirit" and as such, does not even have gender, let alone form.

However, this stance often seems to contradict other ideas strongly held by Christians, including referring to the GOD as 'He' as well as Jesus being 'The Christ' and male and sitting on a throne as a representative of their idea of GOD - in form.

Furthermore, the idea of human beings being 'made in the image of GOD' helps fortify the imagery of GOD having a human form, contradicting the idea that 'GOD is Spirit', something else which really requires suitable defining.

Made In The Image Of GOD

Q: What exactly must that mean?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JoeyKnothead]
That's the closest definition we're ever gonna get.
That is very hard to predict. It shows a disdain for human kind and hints that one believes humans are doomed to failure as a species and so will never realize their full potential, gaining knowledge in the process.
It ain't near difficult to predict that folks who disdain their, or other's actions, 'd do 'em them some disdaining of their own!

I don't near disdain me humanity, as do disdain me them that'd hide behind their god concept in order to oppress their fellow human beings.

My disdain is for them incapable of showing they speak truth, who'd declare they know the thoughts of a god they can't even show exists. And that by that god we need to shut us down liquor stores on each and every day it is, we suffer us the godly disdain that you quit getting you some liquor!

My disdain is for a god who'd get upset he didn't get him the adulations he felt he deserved.

I cuss that god, and his adherents.

Him and McDonald's Rump.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Inigo Montoya wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JoeyKnothead]

Perfectly said.

There is another strategy for defining the entity though. You just pick something else. An emergent phenomena. A state of matter. My lunch. Whatever. Then call it GOD, too.

If those things can be said to exist, I can stake a claim. Furthermore, I can capitalize it strangely to throw some extra mystique on it.

GOD is pure energy.
GOD is consciousness.
GOD is love.
GOD is a taco salad.
GOD is light.
GOD is the universe.

A case can be made that those things all exist in some sense. And if I choose to call one or more of those things GOD, I'm home free.

Many on that list have elements of mystery to them. Every GOD I ever heard of has elements of mystery to it. So they have that in common AS WELL, see?

Checkmate, atheist.
You couldn'ta said it better, on account of how in heck is it, pretty thing can make her up the best biscuits, and the best gravy, and do 'em both in the same sitting. That kinda godly magic should be investigated by all relevant authorities.

Our gods are what we love, not so much actual entities.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #13

Post by William »

[Replying to post 11 by JoeyKnothead]

I am having difficulty distinguishing the expressions from religion which you despise and the expression you use to say so JK.

Willum
Savant

Post #14

Post by Willum »

It must mean God is sure goofy-looking.

Basically God has very little physical development, little special development.
If spiritually, even worse, what is more conflicted than man's image, committing horrors and worse over indecisiveness and greed.

Even if we fell, it is hard to imagine God as any kind of azimuth of perfection, or ideal of any kind.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: [Replying to post 11 by JoeyKnothead]

I am having difficulty distinguishing the expressions from religion which you despise and the expression you use to say so JK.
I 'pologize, for I sure like to carry on.

I pretty much despise me them religious claims that set forth a hateful, bigoted god (read claimant).

I propose it's kinda goofy to carry on about a 'loving' God that'd do him such a fretful amount of hating during all that time it was, he's s'posed to do him all that loving.

What God so loves the world, they'd rent out homer buckets just to burn you in 'em? Then ask us to pay for private jets so's they can fly around telling all about it?

I propose pretty thing's her closest to us ever finding us a god, for she knows how to fix her a proper biscuit, and she ain't gotta fly out to anywhere for her to do it. And that's just biscuits, that don't even tell what happens when the sun sets to set.
-Punkinhead Martin

TLIG
Banned
Banned

Re: Made In The Image Of GOD

Post #16

Post by TLIG »

William wrote: Made In The Image Of GOD

Q: What exactly must that mean?
Holy

The image of God is Holy.

In the beginning man and woman were Holy.

William
Savant

Post #17

Post by William »

[Replying to post 16 by TLIG]

And what is the image of 'Holy' - define that.

TLIG
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by TLIG »

William wrote: [Replying to post 16 by TLIG]

And what is the image of 'Holy' - define that.
God

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

[Replying to post 18 by TLIG]

Define 'GOD'.

If you say 'Holy' then it becomes circular and meaningless as you have not actually defined either.

TLIG
Banned
Banned

Post #20

Post by TLIG »

William wrote: [Replying to post 18 by TLIG]

Define 'GOD'.
God is life
without sin.