Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

In an older thread, The Mental-Illness Theory of Religion, I received the following response:
bjs wrote: Second, in response to historia you wrote:
Jagella wrote: Some claim religious belief can be beneficial mentally, and others have come to the opposite conclusion
The first part of that statement is clearly true. In Psychology Today psychologist Rob Whitley wrote:
“The amassed research indicates that higher levels of religious belief and practice (known in social science as “religiosity�) is associated with better mental health.�
Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #71

Post by Dimmesdale »

Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:29 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:25 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:18 pm
If one desires to remain mentally healthy, the best advice is to not take religion seriously especially if you are a man. Go to church, but don't take anything you hear there seriously.
Tcg
That advice comes across as a bit arrogant to me.
It is advice based on the findings of solid research. Your odd claim of arrogance is irrelevant and unfounded unless of course one considers Ad Hominem valuable.

Tcg
To go into your statement: why should one write-off "church" as not serious, in any respect? Why should one do that in any field/subject matter? I don't even say that about modern science, and if you know me, you know I am critical of its theories.

The point is, reality is serious. Church, and any other wide swathe of data, should be taken into account at least (because its part of reality), and weighed in the balance. If, after scrutiny, you think it is of no importance, say so. But let people come to their own conclusions.

Tcg
Savant

Post #72

Post by Tcg »

Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm
If one desires to remain mentally healthy, the best advice is to not take religion seriously especially if you are a man. Go to church, but don't take anything you hear there seriously.
Tcg
It is advice based on the findings of solid research. Your odd claim of arrogance is irrelevant and unfounded unless of course one considers Ad Hominem valuable.

Tcg
To go into your statement: why should one write-off "church" as not serious, in any respect?
I did not say that. Based on research going to church may help reduce depression. Taking what is taught there seriously increases the possibility of depression.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Dimmesdale
Sage

Post #73

Post by Dimmesdale »

Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:49 pm
Dimmesdale wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm
Tcg

Tcg
To go into your statement: why should one write-off "church" as not serious, in any respect?
I did not say that. Based on research going to church may help reduce depression. Taking what is taught there seriously increases the possibility of depression.

Tcg
Well, that is like saying, you should ignore the news, because watching the news increases depression. However, the news may have accurate information as well.

Point taken though that, with church preaching, as with the mainstream news, not everything is as it is seems,... AS it is presented. One should double check whatever one sees and hears, and not only have one perspective, but avail herself of many.