Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

In an older thread, The Mental-Illness Theory of Religion, I received the following response:
bjs wrote: Second, in response to historia you wrote:
Jagella wrote: Some claim religious belief can be beneficial mentally, and others have come to the opposite conclusion
The first part of that statement is clearly true. In Psychology Today psychologist Rob Whitley wrote:
“The amassed research indicates that higher levels of religious belief and practice (known in social science as “religiosity�) is associated with better mental health.�
Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #51

Post by rikuoamero »

Tart says
Christianity tells us that we are inherently born with the knowledge of right and wrong...
Then we have arrived at a paradox. Your religion says I have this knowledge of right and wrong, that it comes from your God character.
However, the knowledge of right and wrong that I do indeed have...I use to reject this God character.
Is this incorrect of me? How can it? If what you say is indeed true, that I have an inborn sense of right and wrong, then how am I at fault for using it to find your God unworthy of me, to think he is in the wrong (should he be real). You complain about people finding it moral to kill and that you can't think that that is objective morality, well I agree! Which is why I reject your God character!
Think about it. You can hardly fault me for doing this, it's the exact same thing you did. The only difference between you and I on this topic is that I exclude no-one and nothing from the check.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #52

Post by Jagella »

rikuoamero wrote:Then we have arrived at a paradox. Your religion says I have this knowledge of right and wrong, that it comes from your God character.
However, the knowledge of right and wrong that I do indeed have...I use to reject this God character.
And not only that, you use that supposed god-given morality to see FOTS for what he is: a moral monster. Has FOTS given some of us the knowledge of right and wrong so that we can see that he's evil? If we agree with Tart's logic, then the answer must be yes.

Dispensing with belief in gods makes these issues so much easier to resolve. All we do is see the obvious: morality is what each of us come up with. It's as simple as that.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #53

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tart wrote: Ok well, i believe in Christianity because I believe Christ is the pinnacle of righteousness, and also the Risen Son of God... I believe forgiveness, and faithfulness is apart of righteousness, and if you think im wrong for believing that, you are entitled to your opinions, but ill sand by that...
You can stand by it in the sense you believe it, you can't stand on it in the sense you can't show it to be the truth.

Alas, the Christian, yet again, is able to declare their beliefs in debate only to employ the "well I'm sure proud to believe it" defense.

This, ladies and germinations is the best the Christian can do when we put their claims to the test of honorable, 'righteous' debate.

I can believe I'm me a fine, upstanding human being, that don't mean I don't peek in on the pretty thing when she takes her a shower.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

dio9
Under Probation

Re: Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #54

Post by dio9 »

Jagella wrote: In an older thread, The Mental-Illness Theory of Religion, I received the following response:
bjs wrote: Second, in response to historia you wrote:
Jagella wrote: Some claim religious belief can be beneficial mentally, and others have come to the opposite conclusion
The first part of that statement is clearly true. In Psychology Today psychologist Rob Whitley wrote:
“The amassed research indicates that higher levels of religious belief and practice (known in social science as “religiosity�) is associated with better mental health.�
Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?
My mental health has been improved by putting my mind in front of my thoughts unfortunately Christianity doesn't teach us to do do that. but forgiveness for past dumb behavior is what Christ has done for my mental health. Fortunately God doesn't hold our foolishness against us.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 53:
dio9 wrote: ...

Fortunately God doesn't hold our foolishness against us.
[quote="sorry I forgot how to formatulate":
(Romans 3:9-20)

1{To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.} The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

2The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God.

3They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
[/quote]
God's him just as petty as Trump.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #56

Post by Jagella »

dio9 wrote:forgiveness for past dumb behavior is what Christ has done for my mental health.
I can see how a person who feels guilty over "past dumb behavior" might feel better if that person believes forgiven by Christ. Such a belief might lessen feelings of guilt which could decrease depression, fear, and anxiety.

In any case, you are not alone in seeking emotional solace from Christianity. It seems that people can often find in Christian beliefs what they wish to find. If they're seeking forgiveness like you are, then chances are they can find it somewhere in the New Testament.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #57

Post by Tart »

JoeyKnothead wrote:
Tart wrote: Ok well, i believe in Christianity because I believe Christ is the pinnacle of righteousness, and also the Risen Son of God... I believe forgiveness, and faithfulness is apart of righteousness, and if you think im wrong for believing that, you are entitled to your opinions, but ill sand by that...
You can stand by it in the sense you believe it, you can't stand on it in the sense you can't show it to be the truth.

Alas, the Christian, yet again, is able to declare their beliefs in debate only to employ the "well I'm sure proud to believe it" defense.

This, ladies and germinations is the best the Christian can do when we put their claims to the test of honorable, 'righteous' debate.

I can believe I'm me a fine, upstanding human being, that don't mean I don't peek in on the pretty thing when she takes her a shower.
Can you show your beliefs for righteousness are true?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #58

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 56:
Tart wrote: Can you show your beliefs for righteousness are true?
That's kinda my point - instead of you supporting your 'beliefs', you set to questionin' mine.

You presented your 'beliefs' in debate. I seek to determine if your beliefs can be show to be an accurate reflection of a reality beyond you holding your beliefs within that skull of yours.

Go ahead, show your beliefs are an accurate reflection of reality - HERE IN DEBATE - or risk being either thought of, or exposed as a fraud!

This is what I'm getting at folks - the concessions, the entertaining we have to do in honorable, honest debate just to analyse the claims of folks who are entirely incapable of showing they speak truth.

This is what we have to accept from theist 'debaters' - "Well I believe it, that oughta be it fancy enough" is NOT debate. It is the scoundrel trying to pretend his beliefs have merit simply 'cause he has the ability to spout 'em.

What's to debate, when the scoundrelous claimant hides behind 'belief'?

Nothing! Not a danged thing because the scoundrelous claimant will dance around the facts - the facts being they can't show their God exists to even have him an opinion they can't show he does.

But what is 'righteousness'?

I propose it's having the honor and integrity to just fess up when you've been stuck you by either your outright lies, or your obvious errors.

Alas, there'll always be that bunch that think 'I believe' is somehow a defensible 'debate'.

Go ahead, show us all how an inability to show you speak truth has offered you superior mental health benefits!

And how we shouldn't think that lies are comfort to those who can't show they speak truth!

-Punkinhead Martin

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #59

Post by Tart »

Id like to respond to a few things in this comment, but first i think there is an important issue I would like resolved...

When you say
JoeyKnothead wrote: I propose it's having the honor and integrity to just fess up when you've been stuck you by either your outright lies, or your obvious errors.
This is suggesting i (or someone) has outright lied about something, or said something of obvious errors...

What is it that I (or someone) has lied about, or said something with obvious errors? Or am i not understanding you? This would constitute as "slander" if it isnt actually supported with evidence.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #60

Post by JoeyKnothead »

from Post 58:

(Edit to change referenced post from 57 to 58, and y'all's welcome to pick on me about it.)
Tart wrote: Id like to respond to a few things in this comment, but first i think there is an important issue I would like resolved... 

When you say 
JoeyKnothead wrote:
I propose it's having the honor and integrity to just fess up when you've been stuck you by either your outright lies, or your obvious errors.

This is suggesting i (or someone) has outright lied about something, or said something of obvious errors... 

What is it that I (or someone) has lied about, or said something with obvious errors? Or am i not understanding you? This would constitute as "slander" if it isnt actually supported with evidence.
Please note, there's buttons there folks can push, and how 'bout that, the mods jump in and there we go.

I reject any argument that I'm in violation of the rules, 'til it is a mod shakes 'em their head at me, all forlornly and all, like they they just had to did, and I'm so embarrassed they had to do. Really, I don't know what brought that about, but I'm shamed of it.

I was asked to propose how my "beliefs for righteousness are true" and offered me up a definition of the relevant term, such that we might be able to determine us all about it.

That the liar, that the fraud might gettem upset by that definition, is, I contend, well how 'bout that.

That the liar, or the fraud might think my proffered definition points to them directly is, I propose, well how 'bout that.

We're in debate here. We're in us a-seekin' the truth. I'll not be shamed nor suffered to find there's some here among us who can't show they speak it. And get upset when their failure jumps it to the top of the page.

The only thing the liar has to fear, the only thing the fraud has to fear, is being exposed.

Who of y'all here just set to fret?
-Punkinhead Martin