Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

In an older thread, The Mental-Illness Theory of Religion, I received the following response:
bjs wrote: Second, in response to historia you wrote:
Jagella wrote: Some claim religious belief can be beneficial mentally, and others have come to the opposite conclusion
The first part of that statement is clearly true. In Psychology Today psychologist Rob Whitley wrote:
“The amassed research indicates that higher levels of religious belief and practice (known in social science as “religiosity�) is associated with better mental health.�
Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Re: Does Christianity enhance your mental health?

Post #2

Post by Jagella »

Jagella wrote:Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?
I'm very open to any evidence including anecdotal / personal evidence for the mental-health benefits of Christian beliefs. That said, if there are any such benefits, then they are far from obvious. I cannot recall ever being impressed with a person's Christian beliefs or practices leading to them being emotionally stable.

In any case, if Christian beliefs are beneficial to a person's mental health, then it seems reasonable to expect that a very "Christian" person should be very sane. So if that person studies the Bible a lot looking for truths in it, prays very often, attends church regularly, believes that she or he speaks directly to the Father In The Sky (FOTS) and literally hears his voice, then that person should be noticeably more mentally healthy than a Christian who is "lukewarm." And if we look at the other extreme, a person who holds few if any Christian beliefs risks mental illness, and we should expect such a person to exhibit signs of mental illness unless that person belongs to another religion.

One way to help clarify this issue is to study mental health in cultures that are either very Christian or not very Christian and compare the two kinds of cultures. If the Christian cultures have a significantly larger percentage of mentally healthy people than the non-Christian cultures, then that evidence argues for the health benefits of Christianity. For example, we could compare people's mental health in the Bible belt and compare that mental health to relatively non-Christian parts of the country like New England.

Personally, I found that as a Christian my mental health was actually harmed by Christian beliefs and practices. I became paranoid believing in a wrathful FOTS who could cast me into a lake of fire.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by Tart »

Jagella wrote: In an older thread, The Mental-Illness Theory of Religion, I received the following response:
bjs wrote: Second, in response to historia you wrote:
Jagella wrote: Some claim religious belief can be beneficial mentally, and others have come to the opposite conclusion
The first part of that statement is clearly true. In Psychology Today psychologist Rob Whitley wrote:
“The amassed research indicates that higher levels of religious belief and practice (known in social science as “religiosity�) is associated with better mental health.�
Question for Debate:In what ways has your Christian faith and practice improved your mental health?

Tremendously.... Id rather not talk about the specifics of my own personal mental health issues, because its personal and people hold these things against others, especially on this website.... However, the fact of the matter is, before i was a believer i had no solid foundation for believing in anything. Period... Truth was more like a grey area, and the only real truth i believed in was impersonal and having no relevance to me, or how i live my life... Nothing solid mattered in terms of purpose, sure i had the desires to live certain ways, as to my own exaltation, to live a glorified life of some kind... We all have these dreams i think, like be a rock star, be a mountain man, be "different" then social norms, be someone desired... We chase the world, we chase our flesh, and God seems to be unattractive... But in reality this is a fantasy... God and his truth is much more real then the those fantasies we desire for ourselves...

This was actually a critical debating point between Dr. William Lane Craig and Richard Dawkins... Lane debated that without God, ultimately there is no purpose of our existence, debating that because the fact that the universe will end, gives no ultimate purpose for its existence (without God). Dawkins respond that can create purposes for our lives... In response Lane called it out for what it is, an illusion of purpose. To say we can create a purpose is as real as creating an imaginary friend, its an illusion, a delusion, it would be as real as an atheist sees God... (ill link a video)

The fact of the matter is, God gives us a valid foundation for believing things. That our actions matter. A personal truth, a reality where our lives matter...

This was a fact that changed my life. Truth wasnt any more an impersonal, grey area, that had no meaning to me personally... I use to be confused, because there was no truth that i cared about... Living in darkness... God grounds our thinking... Certainly God is good for mental health.

[youtube][/youtube]

"Thats why i think atheism is not only irrational, it is profoundly unlivable, you can not live consistently and purposefully within a context of an atheistic world view"~Dr. Craig

The void of atheism... If having no purpose is bad for your mental health, big problems for atheism...

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Jagella »

Tart wrote:Tremendously....
That's good to hear. As you know I'm a big critic of religion, but I'm well aware that many people say they depend on their religious faith to help them emotionally.
...the fact of the matter is, before i was a believer i had no solid foundation for believing in anything. Period... Truth was more like a grey area, and the only real truth i believed in was impersonal and having no relevance to me, or how i live my life...
I see science as a good foundation for belief, and while truth is a "grey area" for me, I'm able to live with uncertainty. But despite that uncertainty, I can often see much truth that relates to me personally and my lifestyle.
We chase the world, we chase our flesh, and God seems to be unattractive... But in reality this is a fantasy... God and his truth is much more real then the those fantasies we desire for ourselves...
In what way is the god you believe in more real than an earthly, physical "fantasy"?
Lane debated that without God, ultimately there is no purpose of our existence, debating that because the fact that the universe will end, gives no ultimate purpose for its existence (without God).
Craig was obviously referring to the god he believes in. There are many other gods people believe in. Are the people who believe in other gods without "ultimate purpose"? It seems to me that Craig is arguing for his god only. So even if somebody believes in a god or gods (are not an atheist), then they would still be without the purpose Craig believes in. So theism is not necessarily a cure for hopelessness if we accept Craig's logic here.
To say we can create a purpose is as real as creating an imaginary friend, its an illusion, a delusion...
I don't see what's so delusional about choosing a purpose. Such a purpose can be as real as you make it. If I choose as a life's purpose to find a cure for cancer, for example, then what's unreal about that purpose?
Certainly God is good for mental health.
Again, is only your god good for mental health, or can other gods provide good mental health?
"Thats why i think atheism is not only irrational, it is profoundly unlivable, you can not live consistently and purposefully within a context of an atheistic world view"~Dr. Craig
If atheists are "inconsistent" living with purpose, then so what? As long as we can live meaningful lives, then an apologist telling us we are inconsistent doesn't matter much.
If having no purpose is bad for your mental health, big problems for atheism...
How can you explain my own experiences, then? I feel far more stable mentally as an atheist than as a Christian. Am I an exception to the rule?

And even if atheism can lead to mental health problems, such a fact wouldn't make any gods real. Am I to believe in what seems so false to me just to feel good?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
Does Christianity increase your mental health?
It increases that part of that'ns proud them dang gays and them dang heathens didn't get them the freedom to be 'em them either one of 'em them either one of 'em them one of 'em.

Mental health, under the guise of religiosity, is the mental comfort of knowing you've put you unprovable assertions and regulations on you a whole big 'ol bunch of folk.

There is no 'mental health' in inflicting laws, rules, and regulations on folks in the name of a god ya can't show exists to have him an opinion on any of it.

I'm reminded of my times in the halls...

"I'm God y'all!"

"Then how come it is, y'all's here amongst us?"

An increase in mental health is, I propose, an increase in showing your goofy notions ain't 'em them so goofy after all.

Or, it's just the simple ability to get them white coats to convince the judge to release ya on a furlough.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

bjs
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by bjs »

To be clear, my post which was quoted at the start of this thread was not about antidotal evidence, which would be a fallacy. Rather, I provided a link to scientific evidence showing that there is a well-established link between religiousity and improved mental health.

Religiousity refers to being active in a religious faith, including prayer, study a church attendance.
Understand that you might believe. Believe that you might understand. –Augustine of Hippo

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 3:
Tart wrote: ...
...In response Lane called it out for what it is, an illusion of purpose. To say we can create a purpose is as real as creating an imaginary friend, its an illusion, a delusion, it would be as real as an atheist sees God...
It never fails to amuse me that the theist'd invoke 'em such terms as 'imaginary friend', 'illusion', or 'delusion'.

The term "purpose" is bound to the subjective. Is it my 'purpose' to pay the bills, or is it my 'purpose' to rid the house of critters? Pretty thing might say it's both, as I declare it's her 'purpose' to just run her about nekkid all the time. And to make her another batch of biscuits, 'cause I think it's my purpose to gobble'm up every chance I get.
The fact of the matter is, God gives us a valid foundation for believing things.
The fact of the matter is, that the theist is incapable of showing a god they can't show exists has assigned 'purpose' to anything, least of all human existence.

The fact of the matter is, that some folks like to declare as 'fact' that which they can't show it is.

The fact of the matter is, that the liar lies, and the preacher preaches!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Tart »

JoeyKnothead wrote: From Post 3:
...In response Lane called it out for what it is, an illusion of purpose. To say we can create a purpose is as real as creating an imaginary friend, its an illusion, a delusion, it would be as real as an atheist sees God...
It never fails to amuse me that the theist'd invoke 'em such terms as 'imaginary friend', 'illusion', or 'delusion'.

The term "purpose" is bound to the subjective. Is it my 'purpose' to pay the bills, or is it my 'purpose' to rid the house of critters? Pretty thing might say it's both, as I declare it's her 'purpose' to just run her about nekkid all the time. And to make her another batch of biscuits, 'cause I think it's my purpose to gobble'm up every chance I get.

Ya, so as i noted, without God we live for our flesh, and the world, and your making the case for that...

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by Tart »

Jagella wrote:
Tart wrote:Tremendously....
That's good to hear. As you know I'm a big critic of religion, but I'm well aware that many people say they depend on their religious faith to help them emotionally.
...the fact of the matter is, before i was a believer i had no solid foundation for believing in anything. Period... Truth was more like a grey area, and the only real truth i believed in was impersonal and having no relevance to me, or how i live my life...
I see science as a good foundation for belief, and while truth is a "grey area" for me, I'm able to live with uncertainty. But despite that uncertainty, I can often see much truth that relates to me personally and my lifestyle.
We chase the world, we chase our flesh, and God seems to be unattractive... But in reality this is a fantasy... God and his truth is much more real then the those fantasies we desire for ourselves...
In what way is the god you believe in more real than an earthly, physical "fantasy"?
Lane debated that without God, ultimately there is no purpose of our existence, debating that because the fact that the universe will end, gives no ultimate purpose for its existence (without God).
Craig was obviously referring to the god he believes in. There are many other gods people believe in. Are the people who believe in other gods without "ultimate purpose"? It seems to me that Craig is arguing for his god only. So even if somebody believes in a god or gods (are not an atheist), then they would still be without the purpose Craig believes in. So theism is not necessarily a cure for hopelessness if we accept Craig's logic here.
To say we can create a purpose is as real as creating an imaginary friend, its an illusion, a delusion...
I don't see what's so delusional about choosing a purpose. Such a purpose can be as real as you make it. If I choose as a life's purpose to find a cure for cancer, for example, then what's unreal about that purpose?
Certainly God is good for mental health.
Again, is only your god good for mental health, or can other gods provide good mental health?
If atheists are "inconsistent" living with purpose, then so what? As long as we can live meaningful lives, then an apologist telling us we are inconsistent doesn't matter much.
If having no purpose is bad for your mental health, big problems for atheism...
How can you explain my own experiences, then? I feel far more stable mentally as an atheist than as a Christian. Am I an exception to the rule?

And even if atheism can lead to mental health problems, such a fact wouldn't make any gods real. Am I to believe in what seems so false to me just to feel good?
Well if you want to make a case that your subjective experience is valid in your life... Thats good for you, however i dont experience your life. I experience my life, and my life has demonstrated God is true, God establishes a foundation for truth (an objective foundation based on God)...

And i just want to comment on this quote below:
The argument isnt that Christians have purpose, and non-believers dont... We know everyone has purpose! Even YOU have purpose as you are clearly establishing purposes, like to fight cancer for example...

The argument is, if atheist is true, that there is no God, no purpose is objective, or real... Its illusory.. That is what Craig is saying...

However, if Christianity is true, ALL people are made in the image of God, and there is purpose for all of us, even if you dont believe in it... And this helps explain why purposes exists at all. Like fighting cancer, on Christianity, this would be a valid and meaningful purpose...

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Jagella »

bjs wrote: To be clear, my post which was quoted at the start of this thread was not about antidotal evidence, which would be a fallacy.
First, it's anecdotal evidence. Second, using anecdotal evidence isn't a fallacy, and we use it all the time to make decisions. It generally works well. Every time you take the advice of somebody who has had an experience with something you're concerned about, you are relying on anecdotal evidence.

Now the major problem with anecdotal evidence is that it does not reflect other cases that may differ from the one case under consideration. So on this thread, I keep in mind that any anecdotes about the mental-health effects of religion only reflects one person's experience. Other people may have had other experiences.
Rather, I provided a link to scientific evidence showing that there is a well-established link between religiousity and improved mental health.
It's always a good idea to scrutinize anything you read in the news and that includes reports regarding scientific research. It's not uncommon for science to be misrepresented in the media. Do you remember the claims that some scientists accelerated particles to speeds exceeding the speed of light? It turned out to be wrong, and that's one of the reasons I'm not quick to believe any claims that science has established that religion is good for a person's mental health.
Religiousity refers to being active in a religious faith, including prayer, study a church attendance.
In that case you only consider Christianity to be religiosity because it's the only religion I know of that has churches.

So what effect has Christianity had on you emotionally?