EVANGELICALISM

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

dio9
Under Probation

EVANGELICALISM

Post #1

Post by dio9 »

What is it that distinguishes evangelicalism as a unique member of the Christian body?
What is the difference between progressives and evangelicals? Is there something theological like Luther's thesis, or practice or behavior , political , issues or what ?
Help me understand what makes evangelicals a unique part of the Christian body?

dio9
Under Probation

Post #61

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to RightReason]

what I remember from my catholic youth centered on sacraments the mass and the Baltimore Catechism. . Not emphasis on the Last Days. It was more on not sinning today than waiting for the Lord to return.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #62

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 58 by Elijah John]

"death, judgement, heaven and hell". Yes, but notice no "rapture" "arrmeggedon" "millennialism" and it's variants. The RCC seldom uses Evangelical jargon.

But does the Pope usually focus on eschatology or "last things"? I don't think so, not usually, not Francis, not John Paul II. Their proclamations are more often on the role of the RC in the world today, how we can be better people, and make the world a better place.
Again, and even though the moderator rebuked me my comments were not intended to be mean, but I repeat you must not be paying attention or actually hearing what the Church teaches. We can all be guilty of this. We tend to hear media outlet summaries about what the Church says. These outlets emphasize the things they want.

The following are examples of words from the last 3 Popes regarding the final things (hell, judgment, the final days) . . .

At a morning meditation in 2016, Pope Francis recalled how in his childhood he was taught about the four last things: “death, judgment, hell or glory.�

He said he knew what some say: “Father, this frightens us.� However, he said: “It is the truth. Because if you do not take care of your heart,� and “you always live far away from the Lord, perhaps there is the danger, the danger of continuing in this way, far away from the Lord for eternity. This is very bad!�

He directed one urgent warning against hell to the mafia in 2014.

“Convert! There is still time, so that you don’t end up in hell. That is what awaits you if you continue on this path. You had a father and a mother: think of them. Cry a little and convert.�

In his Message for Lent in 2016, he gave all of us the same warning, making clear that hell is not just for mafiosos:

“The danger always remains that by a constant refusal to open the doors of their hearts to Christ who knocks on them in the poor, the proud, rich and powerful will end up condemning themselves and plunging into the eternal abyss of solitude which is hell.�
https://aleteia.org/2018/03/30/3-times- ... bout-hell/

Right before he was Pope JPII said this . . .

Cardinal Karol Wojtyla spoke some words which I believe were prophetic. - We are now standing in the face of the greatest historical confrontation humanity has ever experienced. I do not think that the wide circle of the American Society, or the whole wide circle of the Christian Community realize this fully. We are now facing the final confrontation between the Church and the anti-church, between the gospel and the anti-gospel, between Christ and the Antichrist. The confrontation lies within the plans of Divine Providence. It is, therefore, in God's Plan, and it must be a trial which the Church must take up, and face courageously.

https://www.thecompassnews.org/2011/11/ ... st-things/

And Pope Benedict XVI had this to say . . .

When one is not aware of the judgment of God, when one does not recognize the possibility of hell, of the radical and definitive failure of life, then one does not recognize the possibility and necessity for purification.
We must speak specifically of sin as the possibility of destroying oneself, and thus also other parts of the earth.

In the encyclical, I tried to demonstrate that it is precisely the last judgment of God that guarantees justice. We all want a just world.

Today we are used to thinking: what is sin? God is great, he understands us, so sin does not count, in the end God will be good toward all. It's a nice hope. But there is justice, and there is real blame. Those who have destroyed man and the earth cannot sit immediately at the table of God, together with their victims.

God creates justice. We must keep this in mind. For this reason, it also seemed important to me to write about purgatory in the encyclical, which for me is such an obvious truth, so evident and also so necessary and comforting, that it cannot be omitted.

https://www.catholic.org/news/national/ ... p?id=57376

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #63

Post by RightReason »

[Replying to post 61 by dio9]
what I remember from my catholic youth centered on sacraments the mass and the Baltimore Catechism. . Not emphasis on the Last Days. It was more on not sinning today than waiting for the Lord to return.
I hear ya. In my youth we were kept busy making collages and all talking about how Jesus is our friend. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the focus of Church teaching rather often some kooky youth director raised more in a culture emphasizing “getting in touch with ones feelings�. But if we were to actually read the encyclicals written or the speeches given by the Popes during their papal audiences we both would have heard talks about the Last Days.