Should I Have My New Wife Stoned to Death ...?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Should I Have My New Wife Stoned to Death ...?

Post #1

Post by StuartJ »

My new Christian wife recently broke ten (10) biblical laws.

One Sabbath, she put on my shirt and jeans (1) - the shirt was wool and the jeans cotton (2) and headed into town while she was menstruating (3). On the way, she picked up some sticks for the bbq (4) and cooked up a mess of cheeseburgers (5) and calamari (6) then let it slip that she had slept with other guys before we married (7).

One of the guys was at the bbq, and when I got into a brawl with him my wife rushed up and grabbed him forcibly by the testicles (8). She then turned and abused her parents who had tried to intervene (9) and took Yahweh's name in vain during her tirade (10).

If Jesus is "God", he was co-author of these biblical laws in the first place and did not rescind them during his visit to this planet ... and we shouldn't try to dodge the ones we just don't like anymore.

So, should I take my new wife before the elder men of my people and - in true biblical tradition - have her stoned to death ...?
No one EVER demonstrates that "God" exists outside their parietal cortex.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #2

Post by Overcomer »

There are various laws listed in the Old Testament. Some were ceremonial and dietary and pertained ONLY to the nation of Israel at that time. The reasons for them often had to do with health (don't eat this and do wash that, etc.). Some of them were to separate them from the pagans that surrounded them (don't behave the way they do, but be different in the way you live). Some of them were to help keep the peace and prevent chaos in that society of that day (if someone does this, the punishment is that, etc.) None of these laws are pertinent for Christians today. They were meant for the Hebrews only.

There are also moral laws listed in the Old Testament. God's idea of sin and what's right and what's wrong has never changed. What was evil then is still evil now. Those laws, including the 10 Commandments, are still relevant today.

Hopefully, that will help clarify the matter and remove misunderstandings.

Wootah
Savant

Post #3

Post by Wootah »

Jesus is a new covenant. Instead of stoning your wife try this.
Ephesians

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— 30 for we are members of his body. 31 “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.�[c] 32 This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

ElCodeMonkey
Site Supporter

Re: Should I Have My New Wife Stoned to Death ...?

Post #4

Post by ElCodeMonkey »

[Replying to post 1 by StuartJ]

It really is interesting to see the laws of the OT and Jesus' reaction in the NT. He clearly did not approve of them, the current religious leaders hated him for it and thus killed him, so clearly Jesus preached a message entirely opposed to what the priests currently believed. Funny how it's all meshed back together as one God/religion though. The dog returned to its vomit, the pig to the mud, the leaven of the Pharisees found its way back into the dough, and the wheat grew together with the weeds. Couldn't be any more clear in my eyes. That said, I would absolutely hold Jesus' teaching over the OT laws. You should probably spare your wife :-).
I'm Published! Christians Are Revolting: An Infidel's Progress
My Blog: Friendly By Nurture
The Wisdom I've gleaned.
My Current Beliefs.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Should I Have My New Wife Stoned to Death ...?

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

StuartJ wrote: My new Christian wife recently broke ten (10) biblical laws.

One Sabbath, she put on my shirt and jeans (1) - the shirt was wool and the jeans cotton (2) and headed into town while she was menstruating (3). On the way, she picked up some sticks for the bbq (4) and cooked up a mess of cheeseburgers (5) and calamari (6) then let it slip that she had slept with other guys before we married (7).

One of the guys was at the bbq, and when I got into a brawl with him my wife rushed up and grabbed him forcibly by the testicles (8). She then turned and abused her parents who had tried to intervene (9) and took Yahweh's name in vain during her tirade (10).

If Jesus is "God", he was co-author of these biblical laws in the first place and did not rescind them during his visit to this planet ... and we shouldn't try to dodge the ones we just don't like anymore.

So, should I take my new wife before the elder men of my people and - in true biblical tradition - have her stoned to death ...?
Jesus not only co-authored these biblical laws, he made it clear that they will remain in effect until heaven and earth pass away.

Matthew 5:17 “Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. 18 For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

This doesn't sound good for your wife. Of course, as we have already seen, this is one of those passages that many Christians like to ignore.

Given that God let's them get away with that, I'd ignore your wife's law breaking for now and see what happens.

It might be a good idea to start collecting a few rocks in case God decides to question you about your rebelliousness. That way you can show Him that you were willing on your end, but you couldn't find any elders willing to obey God.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by StuartJ »

I'm just going to pretend for a moment that there really is a planet-visiting Jesus who still IS "God".

Jesus as "God" was co-author of the OT (sorry Jewish folks) laws.

Christians today will say that Jesus is a "New Covenant" and this allows them to cherry-pick the laws he, or Yahweh, or the Holy Ghost inscribed on tablets of stone with his/their finger/s on Mt Sinai. (If we're Trinitarians we are not sure which aspect of "God" was in the cloud.)

Now, in the Christian-Jewish "scriptures", the writers to not enumerate which of Jesus' laws Jesus want kept, and which he is quite happy for folks to sweep under the altar because they quite fancy a bacon buttie now and again, or they think it's unfair that males with damaged genitalia are not allowed into church.

The big question for me - and the main purpose of this topic - is WHO gets to choose which "laws" are tossed out the stained-glass window ...?

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to StuartJ]
The big question for me - and the main purpose of this topic - is WHO gets to choose which "laws" are tossed out the stained-glass window ...?
TCG answered you when he quoted Matthew 5:17.

The realisation is that we violate all the laws nearly all the time and deserve death but God will redeem those that call on Jesus to pay for their sins.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

StuartJ wrote:
Well, ignoring a recent attempt to distort my previous reply, according to Jesus, the answer is no one.

Matthew 5:18 "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished."

It seems however that many who claim to follow Jesus feel that they are free to do so whenever they please.

StuartJ
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by StuartJ »

When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html
Very convenient when it comes to then picking and choosing things that suit you.

If homosexuality is an abomination to YOU and your cult members - you will choose to keep the OT "law" ...

Because the Jesus character in the Gospel propaganda is not written of as saying anything about the neighbour you love not being of the same gender as you.

And if you want to wave placards assuring the world that "fags" are going to burn in Hell, you need to go to the "laws" that the Jesus version of "God" gave to the possibly fictional Moses character while he (Jesus) was still in Heaven.
The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior [Jewish folks may disagree with that blanket claim] (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us. (op. cit.)
A legal system needs to be much more detailed and complex than a simplistic "those two commands" ...

Which allows Christians to cherry-pick details that suit their personal prejudices and preferences, and allows them to bend whichever way the wind is blowing at any given time in human social evolution.

Wootah
Savant

Post #10

Post by Wootah »

StuartJ wrote:
When Jesus died on the cross, He put an end to the Old Testament law (Romans 10:4; Galatians 3:23–25; Ephesians 2:15). https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-law.html
Very convenient when it comes to then picking and choosing things that suit you.

If homosexuality is an abomination to YOU and your cult members - you will choose to keep the OT "law" ...

Because the Jesus character in the Gospel propaganda is not written of as saying anything about the neighbour you love not being of the same gender as you.

And if you want to wave placards assuring the world that "fags" are going to burn in Hell, you need to go to the "laws" that the Jesus version of "God" gave to the possibly fictional Moses character while he (Jesus) was still in Heaven.
The purpose of the Old Testament law is to convict people of our inability to keep the law and point us to our need for Jesus Christ as Savior [Jewish folks may disagree with that blanket claim] (Romans 7:7-9; Galatians 3:24). The Old Testament law was never intended by God to be the universal law for all people for all of time. We are to love God and love our neighbors. If we obey those two commands faithfully, we will be upholding all that God requires of us. (op. cit.)
A legal system needs to be much more detailed and complex than a simplistic "those two commands" ...

Which allows Christians to cherry-pick details that suit their personal prejudices and preferences, and allows them to bend whichever way the wind is blowing at any given time in human social evolution.
You aren't demonstrating cherry-picking or picking and choosing things that suit you.

We should love homosexuals and people that weave linen and cloth together.