Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Post #1

Post by Jagella »

Consider this story from Numbers 15:32-36(NRSV):
When the Israelites were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the sabbath day. Those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses, Aaron, and to the whole congregation. They put him in custody, because it was not clear what should be done to him. Then the Lord said to Moses, “The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him outside the camp.� The whole congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death, just as the Lord had commanded Moses.
Question for Debate: If you were there with these Israelites, would you stone this man in obedience to Moses and to Yahweh?

Keep in mind that this man may have been gathering sticks to build a fire to cook for for his family and to keep them warm. After the Bible god had him killed, any wife he had would be left a widow and any children he had would be left without a father to provide for them. They would be left cold, hungry, and facing poverty. Any friends he had among the Israelites would be obligated to kill their friend.

Despite these consequences of Yahweh's order to stone the man to death, all the Jews and by extension all Christians coming later must obey the Bible god. Any objections you have to this cruel act are nothing to Yahweh and may even result in a similar punishment for disobedience to him. You have a god you must believe in and obey without question and without reason.

I predict that few if any of the Christians here will answer this question honestly and sensibly. To post such an answer is to expose Christian beliefs for what they are.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Re: Would you stone the man described in Numbers 15?

Post #31

Post by ttruscott »

Jagella wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Jagella wrote:Question for Debate: If you were there with these Israelites, would you stone this man in obedience to Moses and to Yahweh?
If you mean that I was an Israelite under the law...then: Yes. Of course. Why not?
We see that your beliefs could result in your killing a man for gathering sticks on the "wrong" day of the week.
I would NOT kill a man for gathering sticks on the wrong day...but only as a judgement from GOD against a rebellious attitude against the law of both GOD and the culture. Refusing to stand with GOD against the rebellion of evil is what started this whole mess.
If you believe in the Bible god, then there is no reason not to kill an innocent man. That's my point.
Then your point is a straw man argument against Christianity because you ignore the Christian doctrine that there are NO innocent men, and that the 'story' was not about a man who needed to warm his meal but was about the flagrant in-your-face-rebellion to the law as the introduction to the story tells us: Num 15:30 But the person who sins defiantly, whether a native or foreigner, blasphemes the LORD. That person shall be cut off from his people. 31 He shall certainly be cut off, because he has despised the word of the LORD and broken His commandment; his guilt remains on him.�

I'm surprised you missed these verses and the tone it sets for the reasons why the judgement was given...?
PCE Theology as I see it...

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #32

Post by Jagella »

1213 wrote:If there are rules and some people brake them, it can lead to destruction of whole nation. That is why it could be worse to let person, who don’t care of the rules, live and cause the destruction of whole nation.
Frankly, any nation that treats its people like the man in Numbers 15 deserves to be destroyed.
The seemingly small “crime� can be seen as attempted genocide. (Perhaps it could be compared also to treason).
How is gathering sticks on Saturday attempted genocide?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by ttruscott »

Zzyzx wrote: .
In real life I have always been a Maverick – “Unbranded animal, not of the herd�. With those same personality traits projected backward two thousand years, I would not likely have always obeyed orders any better than I did during military service (which resulted in some difficulty at times).

More likely, I would have been one who gathered firewood whenever I darn well felt like – and if real life is any indication, would not have been arrested.

Being disinclined to follow the herd is quite liberating
This describes me very well also but in freely perusing my aggressive rebellious nature I hurt the people who loved me the most. I tried to stop but I could not until I was smitten by GOD (the only word that really applies) and my nature was changed by HIM.

So I write this to attest to both sides and to mention that aggressive rebelliousness is not the only way to live. It sounds like you made being a maverick work for you, very commendable.

We had an existence with a free will in Sheol before the creation of the physical universe. Here we chose to be able to become holy or to be eternally evil in YHWH's sight. Then the physical universe was created and all sinners were sent to earth.

This theology debunks the need to base Christianity upon the blasphemy of creating us in Adam's sin.

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #34

Post by ttruscott »

Jagella wrote:
ttruscott wrote:
Jagella wrote:Question for Debate: If you were there with these Israelites, would you stone this man in obedience to Moses and to Yahweh?
If you mean that I was an Israelite under the law...then: Yes. Of course. Why not?
We see that your beliefs could result in your killing a man for gathering sticks on the "wrong" day of the week.

Why not, you ask? If you believe in the Bible god, then there is no reason not to kill an innocent man. That's my point.

Excellent illustration of evil perpetrated in the name of religion; and the error of blind obedience to religious (or any) dogma.

An excellent illustration also of idiotic rules and laws set forth in the name of obedience to religion
...only if you live in a reality that has no GOD and no responsibility to the Creator. Such an attitude seems to deny all justice and would allow any crime to go unpunished. Or do you still think this is about sticks of wood?

ttruscott
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by ttruscott »

rikuoamero wrote: To those people who have answered yes, they would stone the man from Numbers 15...please explain how this is a moral position at all, versus being immoral or amoral.
I accept that the moral pov is found in the introduction to the story...have you read it?

The story about the man who went into the room where a woman was lying in bed and then cut out her heart is mitigated by the facts of the introduction that tells us she was there for heart surgery and he was the surgeon.
Last edited by ttruscott on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #36

Post by rikuoamero »

ttruscott wrote:
Jagella wrote:
ttruscott wrote:

Why not, you ask? If you believe in the Bible god, then there is no reason not to kill an innocent man. That's my point.

Excellent illustration of evil perpetrated in the name of religion; and the error of blind obedience to religious (or any) dogma.

An excellent illustration also of idiotic rules and laws set forth in the name of obedience to religion
...only if you live in a reality that has no GOD and no responsibility to the Creator. Such an attitude seems to deny all justice and would allow any crime to go unpunished. Or do you still think this is about sticks of wood?
You're describing an all or nothing mode of thought. If we don't stone the man for this "transgression", then we can't stone anyone else for any other transgression.

Again and again, I keep getting evidence from you and others that this religion is NOT from a superior mind. Surely a superior mind would understand little things like nuance, extenuating circumstances, mercy or compassion. Surely it wouldn't be so simplistic and naive as to go all or nothing.
Last edited by rikuoamero on Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

dio9
Under Probation

Post #37

Post by dio9 »

[Replying to post 1 by Jagella]

I think Moses may have been wrong , this may have been a religious fabrication of priestly scribes. Some people don't believe Moses wrote the book of Numbers.
By the way you seem to be quite the student of the bible. When did you stop believing?

rikuoamero
Under Probation

Post #38

Post by rikuoamero »

ttruscott wrote:
rikuoamero wrote: To those people who have answered yes, they would stone the man from Numbers 15...please explain how this is a moral position at all, versus being immoral or amoral.
I accept that the moral pov is found in the introduction to the story...have you read it?
Yes I read it - and all I see in the OP are references to blind obedience, or obeying out of fear Yahweh will do the same to me.
I want to know how obeying the order to stone the man for picking up sticks "without question and without reason" is a moral position at all, rather than immoral or amoral. I can see it being the latter two, but never the first.

Your life is your own. Rise up and live it - Richard Rahl, Sword of Truth Book 6 "Faith of the Fallen"

I condemn all gods who dare demand my fealty, who won't look me in the face so's I know who it is I gotta fealty to. -- JoeyKnotHead

Some force seems to restrict me from buying into the apparent nonsense that others find so easy to buy into. Having no religious or supernatural beliefs of my own, I just call that force reason. -- Tired of the Nonsense

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #39

Post by Jagella »

JehovahsWitness wrote: QUESTION: Should the Sabbath breaker have been executed for picking sticks?

♦ANSWER Yes, absolutely because he was rightly found guilty of the premeditated breaking of a law that carried the death penalty .
I think you're arguing in a circle here: the law stating he should have been executed is morally justified because that law said he should be executed? To make your case you need to argue how killing a man merely for gathering sticks is morally justified.
If someone doesn't want to respect the law of the land where they live, they are free to leave but living within a nation's territories implies unspoken agreement to comply with the laws of that country or face the consequences.
In that case the Jehovah's Witnesses sent to the concentration camps in Hitler's Germany were getting what they deserved. As you argue, they were to obey the law of the land. They had an unspoken agreement to comply with the Nazi laws or face the consequences.

Got-Cha!
Given how easy the law to refrain from working on a sabbath was, justification should be demanded from the criminal as to why he broke the law, not the other way round.
Gathering sticks can easily be justified. Like I pointed out in the OP, the man murdered by Moses may have been gathering the sticks to build a fire to feed himself and his family or keep them warm. People need food and warmth on all days of the week.
We do not know the surrounding circumstances but we can reasonably suppose he was fully aware of the law.
It's very possible this unfortunate victim of Jehovah was not fully aware of the idiotic law that work on the Sabbath was prohibited. One possibility is that he had dementia or some other cognitive disability and that disability kept him from understanding the law. Another possibility is that he did not know what was meant by "work." The law doesn't spell out what constitutes work.
Common sense dictates he observed that those around him collected twice the needed amount the day before and would have at the very least explained...
LOL--if you want to argue common sense, then how can you see any sense in a law that prohibits people from doing what they need to do?

At any rate, people are imperfect and often "miss the boat" waiting too long to do something. I'm sure you have missed a deadline some time in your life. So why fault this man for making a common human mistake?
It seems fair to say it was therefore a deliberate act of rebellion. You don't just accidently start collecting sticks... like you're just walking along, minding your own businesses and oops you trip and suddenly, through no fault of your own and against your will, start collecting sticks... that's ludicrous. If he was caught breaking the Sabbath, he did so willfully. His motivation was his own but it seems reasonable to believe it was a manifestation of at the very least a meprise for the law and perhaps the nation.
Can you really blame anybody for rebelling against a god so stupid that that god demands no work on Saturday? If the man was rebelling, it cost him his life, and unlike you I can see the tragedy in his being murdered.
In any case, he that breaks the law must pay the price. We don't usually call such people "victims" the word is ... "criminal"
If the man in Numbers 15 was your father, brother, or son, would you be so quick to deem him a criminal and bash his head in with rocks?

Jagella
Banned
Banned

Post #40

Post by Jagella »

dio9 wrote:I think Moses may have been wrong , this may have been a religious fabrication of priestly scribes. Some people don't believe Moses wrote the book of Numbers.
I'm skeptical that there was any Moses at all if by "Moses" you mean the Biblical character. So yes, the tragic story of the man killed in Numbers 15 may be a fable, or I hope it is just a fable.
By the way you seem to be quite the student of the bible.
I consider myself to be an amateur Bible scholar, and I make good use of online Bible sources that allow me to study the Bible in the original languages as well as in English.
When did you stop believing?
I believe the year was 1987 when I lost my faith. I was a Christian at that time, and my reading stories like that of Numbers 15 was instrumental in my loss of faith. I could not and cannot reconcile holiness with Biblical barbarism.