Drinking

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Angry McFurious
Student

Drinking

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D

Corvus
Guru

Post #21

Post by Corvus »

Dilettante wrote:
So us Episcopals are the Party Animals then!
Sorry, but here I think Catholicism wins hands down. Benedictine, Chartreuse...
My two favourite liqueurs! The former is no longer brewed by monks and nowadays is actually distilled in the dungeons of a castle in France, the old recipe slightly updated to keep it up to modern tastes. The latter is still brewed by monks, and only three are permitted to know the secret recipe at one time. Forget about absinthe, that drink once drunk by the lower orders and whose only claim to fame was the presence of wormwood, now removed in modern variants. No, it's chartreuse that's the king of liqueurs, and drinking it is like drinking perfume, with the sweet taste of flowers nestled in the asperity of its potent spirits. Indeed, bouquet is an apt name for the taste of such a drink. If by their fruits ye shall know them, then by the liqueurs, product of their fruits, I judge that Christianity still has some claim to divinity.

Pay attention as I impart the secret of life, here and now, once and for all, for the benefit of all; two parts yellow, one part green.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

truthseeker

Post #22

Post by truthseeker »

I always get a charge out of this topic. My neighbor is a devoted baptist(goes to church two times on Sunday and every Wednesday night) and he from time to time gets on his soapbox about drinking being a sin and how it defiles your temple all the while he is munching on a double cheeseburger and fries and drinking a pop.... :lol: I'm not just picking on the Baptists but I find hypocrisy runs rampant in the Christian community these days especially the Baptist Church. While he is busy trying to construct something that resembles proof in the Bible to back up his point, has he ever taken the time to read the verse that says gluttony is a sin?

axeplayer
Apprentice

Post #23

Post by axeplayer »

I am baptist, and I have no problem with those who drink a glass a wine or a beer every once in a while. But the Bible does condemn drunkenness. The last time I checked, drinking leads to drunkenness, and the Bible says to flee from temptation. I myself would not drink beer or wine, but the Bible does not condemn drinking, only drunkenness.

truthseeker

Post #24

Post by truthseeker »

If you personally don't like to drink that's none of my concern just as long as you don't try to condemn someone else for taking a drink. Eating can lead to gluttony but will you someday stop eating? Driving can lead to speeding which can lead to an accident and even death but do you stop driving? I guess what I am getting to is anything done in excess can be dangerous or unhealthy. Moderation is the key to all things.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #25

Post by Dilettante »

Corvus wrote:
No, it's chartreuse that's the king of liqueurs, and drinking it is like drinking perfume, with the sweet taste of flowers nestled in the asperity of its potent spirits. Indeed, bouquet is an apt name for the taste of such a drink. If by their fruits ye shall know them, then by the liqueurs, product of their fruits, I judge that Christianity still has some claim to divinity.
Perhaps we should call that the argumentum etilicum... In vino veritas! Now seriously, Corvus, you sound like good drinking companion! When I was younger I enjoyed Dubonnet. I'm suddenly fighting an urge to leave the computer and fix myself a Dubonnet Cassis (5 cl red Dubonnet, 2.5 cl creme de Cassis, and some Perrier). Wait, I forgot I don't currently have any of the ingredients, not even a bottle of Perrier... Oh well, some other time. I'll stay at the computer.

pandorasbox
Student

Post #26

Post by pandorasbox »

I would say that the drinking issue may vary from church to church. When I was a kid and went to church, they had a sermon on this exact subject, though I am unsure if the baptists feel the same. They said that drinking wasn't a sin, but that if you drink you could get addicted, therefore becoming drunk or an alchoholic, which is a sin. They were against the thought of drinking in fear of eventually commiting a sin.

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #27

Post by micatala »

I think drinking fits into those 'debatable practices' that are described in Romans, around chapter 14 I think. The specific instances mentioned there have to do with food and which days to keep holy, but I think the principle applies here.

Yes, Christians are free to drink, if they can do so in faith.

Neither the drinkers nor the non-drinkers should condemn those in the other group.

As Christians, we should keep the welfare of our brothers in Christ above other considerations. So, it would probably be a sin if you were drinking, knowing that someone watching could have their faith damaged as a result. Having said this, I do think you do not have to hold yourself hostage to what others might think. As has been pointed out, use good judgment. "Do not let what you consider good be looked upon as evil."

Now, one could certainly refuse drink as an act of worship, ala a fast, and this is certainly a good thing to do, again if done in faith. Perhaps this is the rationale behind Baptist practice for instance.

As for myself, I have simple tastes. No fancy wines or drinks requiring a recipe. ;) An occasional 'working man's beer' it is for me.

v_octane

Post #28

Post by v_octane »

hi, kinda new at this, but please have patience.

i don't condemn drinking and don't mind having a drink myself every once in a while, but here goes a quick story:

i had a friend who just recently got free from alchoholism, and we both went out to eat with a group of people. these people were part of a church band and talked about drinking and how its alright and all. later my friend saw some bottles in the back of their cars. he told me that he fought so hard to be free from alchohol and come back to church, and now this worship band is talking about how alright it is to drink.

my point, if you're going to drink, watch out for the people around you. some people are stronger than others and can't even afford to take even one sip, or else they're gone.

by the way, my friend stopped going to church now.

may God bless you.

Chimp
Scholar

Post #29

Post by Chimp »

Certainly in the context of church and church functions, it is probably best
to avoid drinking. We have a number of recovering alcoholics at my church
and in deference to them and their struggles, alcohol is never served at
church functions. It's certainly not done out of some puritan sense of
righteousness, but out of concern for those who struggle with that addiction.