Drinking

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Angry McFurious
Student

Drinking

Post #1

Post by Angry McFurious »

Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D

otseng
Savant

Post #2

Post by otseng »

I have moved this from Ethical Dilemma to the Christianity subforum. This is more of a debate question than an ethical dilemma.

As to answer the question, there is nothing wrong with drinking alcohol. The only thing the Bible condemns is being drunk.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #3

Thats my point but many in the baptist church (even some in my family) claim it to be a sin to drink at all. Just wondering why.

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

AngryMcFurious wrote:Thats my point but many in the baptist church (even some in my family) claim it to be a sin to drink at all. Just wondering why.
Perhaps because their pastor told them so? If the topic comes up, you can ask them if they can point out what verse in the Bible says drinking alcohol is a sin. It should bring up some interesting discussions. :o

Corvus
Guru

Re: Drinking

Post #5

Post by Corvus »

AngryMcFurious wrote:Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D
I also possess the ability to turn water into whine. Turning it into wine, however, is quite a feat of transubstantiation. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help myself. The only thing I can think of is the passage about the body being like a temple, which it would be wrong to "pollute".

1Cor.6
[18] Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that commiteth fornication sinneth against his own body.
[19] What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
[20] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

fried beef sandwich
Student

Post #6

Post by fried beef sandwich »

Sorry to butt in too.

But there's also that verse "Do not be drunk on wine, rather be drunk with the Holy Spirit" that he might be basing his beliefs off of.

t
Student

Post #7

Post by t »

AngryMcFurious wrote:Some have a hard time with drinking a substance like beer because of christianity from the baptist faith. Jesus turned water into whine so why is drinking things such as beer a problem for those who have this belief? I can understand getting drunk being bad, but as a mature adult drinking a glass of whine or a can of beer.... whats wrong with this? Just want to hear the other side to this. Thanks :D

1Ti 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example of the believers, in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Most of the drinking issue seems to be the setting of an example.

2Th 3:9 (not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example to you, to imitate us).

If you want your brothers to imitate you, can they just have one beer? If they don't stop and end up drunk and they say they saw you doing it, is that a good example?

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #8

1Ti 4:12 Let no one despise your youth, but be an example of the believers, in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Most of the drinking issue seems to be the setting of an example.

2Th 3:9 (not because we do not have authority, but to make ourselves an example to you, to imitate us).

If you want your brothers to imitate you, can they just have one beer? If they don't stop and end up drunk and they say they saw you doing it, is that a good example?[/quote]

then thats there sin and not mine.

t
Student

Post #9

Post by t »

[/quote]AngryMcFurious wrote

then thats there sin and not mine.[/quote]

1Co 8:13 Therefore, if food offends my brother, I will eat no flesh forever, that I do not offend my brother. :yikes:

Co 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours becomes a stumbling block to those who are weak.
1Co 8:10 For if anyone sees you who have knowledge sitting in an idol temple, will not the weak one's conscience be lifted up so as to eat things sacrificed to idols?
1Co 8:11 And on your knowledge the weak brother will fall, he for whom Christ died.
1Co 8:12 And sinning in this way against your brothers, and wounding their conscience, being weak, you sin against Christ.
1Co 8:13 Therefore, if food offends my brother, I will eat no flesh forever, that I do not offend my brother.

Angry McFurious
Student

Post #10

though I have read the entire new testament your preaching it to a jew. Your points to me are not valid. I'm simply understanding this christian point of view.