Are gods insignificant unless they do something?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Are gods insignificant unless they do something?

Post #1

Post by Zzyzx »

What is the significance of gods unless they do or have done something?

What have your favorite gods done lately (or ever)?

How do you know what they do or did? Did someone tell you? Read a book? Have a psychic experience? Use your imagination?

Is there any verifiable evidence that any of the thousands of proposed 'gods' has ever done anything?

Before humans learned about cause-and-effect in terrestrial matters, they credited ‘gods’ with being responsible for rain, flood, drought, storms, insect plagues, diseases, crop failures, thunder, darkening of the sun or moon, etc, etc. With those accounted for without need for ‘gods’, what is left for the ‘gods’ to do in respect to humans?
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Re: Are gods insignificant unless they do something?

Post #11

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Zzyzx wrote: What witness accounts of 'awesome acts' are available?
All records of first hand, eye-witness accounts can be found the bible.
Correction: Bible tales were recorded by largely anonymous writers, often decades, generations, or centuries after the storied 'awesome acts'. Since identity of writers is unknown to or disputed by religious scholars and theologians, how can anyone claim those people were eyewitnesses?

Prime examples: Who witnessed and recorded the storied six days of creation? The 'parting of seas'? The 'ascension'? (Note on the latter: 'Luke' -- whoever that was -- reported the incident but acknowledges that he got his stories from others; and thus admitted being a non-witness).

Kindly list a few 'first-hand, eye-witness accounts -- and identify the witness making the report.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Diagoras
Guru

Post #12

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

From the OP:
<bolding mine>

Just my impression, but I rather think the aim of the debate was to encourage more examples of the ‘later’ acts, rather than the already well-known biblical accounts. So, if any theist can offer something like a ‘modern day miracle’ that non-theists haven’t got a convincing natural explanation for, we might have a more stimulating discussion.

If that wasn’t the intention of the OP, I’m happy to be corrected of course.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Zzyzx »

Diagoras wrote: Just my impression, but I rather think the aim of the debate was to encourage more examples of the ‘later’ acts, rather than the already well-known biblical aSo, if any theist can offer something like a ‘modern day miracle’ that non-theists haven’t got a convincing natural explanation for, we might have a more stimulating discussion counts.

If that wasn’t the intention of the OP, I’m happy to be corrected of course.
Past, present, or future suits me. Are there ANY examples of 'miracles' or 'supernatural acts' that can be verified as caused by 'gods' (NOT just folklore tales or testimonials making unverifiable claims)?

Invisible, undetectable 'gods' that do nothing are indistinguishable from IMAGINARY 'gods' that do nothing.
Non-Theist

bjs
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by bjs »

[Replying to post 7 by Willum]

Moderator removed one-line, non-contributing post. Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the "Like" function or the MGP button. For anything else use PM.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

From the OP:
<bolding mine>

Just my impression, but I rather think the aim of the debate was to encourage more examples of the ‘later’ acts, rather than the already well-known biblical accounts.
You only bolded one word, that might displeased some posters. Still if you can bold a word without anyone reprimanding you, so can I....

From the OP:
<bolding mine>
  • I took the "or ever" not to be meaningless babble but words that carried a given meaning and were included for a reason and answered accordingly. I take it you are not the only person allowed to use bold to indicate the orientation of your posts. While you are bolding one word (rather than sentences), without any reaction, here's another "one worder" for you, ...
Zzyzx wrote: Past, present, or future suits me.
Emphasis MINE

I wish you and Ctrl+B a most excellent week!

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:42 am, edited 6 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #16

Post by Willum »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 6 by JehovahsWitness]

Zzyzx wrote: Past, present, or future suits me.
Emphasis MINE
WHAT HE ACTUALLY SAID WAS:
Past, present, or future suits me. Are there ANY examples of 'miracles' or 'supernatural acts' that can be verified as caused by 'gods' (NOT just folklore tales or testimonials making unverifiable claims)?
Emphasis full disclosure.
Emphasis talking about what is being spoken about.

So, to adequately answer the question, can you address the whole statement?
Are there ANY examples of 'miracles' or 'supernatural acts' that can be verified as caused by 'gods' (NOT just folklore tales or testimonials making unverifiable claims)?

No? no. Then why answer the post?

It is effectively answering the wrong question. Certainly outside of scope.

For example, were I to start referencing "Jack and the Beanstalk," in answer to the statement, I would be deemed a fool.
I will never understand how someone who claims to know the ultimate truth, of God, believes they deserve respect, when they cannot distinguish it from a fairy-tale.

You know, science and logic are hard: Religion and fairy tales might be more your speed.

To continue to argue for the Hebrew invention of God is actually an insult to the very concept of a God. - Divine Insight

marco
Savant

Post #17

Post by marco »

Zzyzx wrote: .
What is the significance of gods unless they do or have done something?
This question goes right to the heart of the matter: if we accept there's a God but he never interacts with humanity, then is there a point? Not if one believes that death calls a halt to everything.

When we postulate the existence of an afterlife, then we suppose God is incredibly busy there. It has so far taken 2000 years for Jesus to get things tidied up for people to visit his dad's mansions. God is an idea that generates a variety of things, not least vast buildings that are beautiful but rather pointless and art that is beautiful for itself and billions of people who are impatient for this irrelevant life to end so that they can start living in reality.

Were I a medieval priest with a vast income and estate and I were asked: Is God useful, I would smile and offer the questioner some fine wine.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Zzyzx »

[Replying to post 14 by JehovahsWitness]

When one has something worthwhile to say (or a counter to arguments presented), they tipically present intelligent discussion of the matter rather than complaining about text being in bold.

The tread topic is: Are gods insignificant unless they do something?
Non-Theist

Diagoras
Guru

Post #19

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to post 14 by JehovahsWitness]

I’m not really sure why my use of bold type for emphasis in a post would have got you so hot under the collar, nor why it should particularly ‘displease’ posters.

I strive for readability in my posts, and I’m confident that I’m not alone in the practice of bolding a single word in order to make a point. Furthermore, I trust that the general reader could tell from the tone that I wasn’t demanding that people focus on recent divine acts.

The civil response, however, is for me to acknowledge that you did indeed answer the part of the OP that asked about divine acts in the past.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #20

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Diagoras wrote: [Replying to post 14 by JehovahsWitness]

.... you did indeed answer the part of the OP that asked about divine acts in the past.
Thank you, my point exactly. Well, have a most excellent week,

Happy posting!

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS
Is there any record of YHWH/Jehovah actually doing anything?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 67#p979967

Why does the bible identify JEHOVAH as "The living God"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 97#p940997
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8