I don't know
11%

Total votes: 18

OnceConvinced
Savant

Is God's power the same as magic?

Post #1

Post by OnceConvinced »

Theists often get upset when people talk about God doing acts and referring to it as magic. But is there any real difference?

The first recorded act of God was creating light and what did he do? He made a verbal incantation: "Let there be light!"

Note: Abracadabra Hebrew meaning: “I will create as I speak,�
https://www.thejc.com/judaism/jewish-wo ... a-1.466709

So we have a god supposedly conjuring up things with magic words. Then we also have people claiming to have magical powers (some even claim those powers come from God himself).

Is there really any difference?
What are those differences?

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Dimmesdale
Sage

Re: Is God's power the same as magic?

Post #31

Post by Dimmesdale »

Magic is something that I think has its basis in inexplicability. It relies on mystery, on an intentional lack of REASON behind it. When we see a "magician" doing tricks, part of the allure is the sheer mystery of how things can happen beyond our ability to understand. That is where magic gets it's magic. Magic draws its power from this almost crazy lack of understanding.

God's ways I think do not function on this basis. They follow a different premise: not mere allure due to mystery, but His acts are founded ultimately on FACT, on REASON. They do not exclude reason in other words. They are supernatural, but they are not contrary to nature. They follow laws, laws of logic, and other metaphysical laws. These laws are hidden from us of course, but they are nonetheless there. The laws that govern the workings of magician's tricks are also existent. But the difference is the allure-factor once again. God's acts are not meant to bedazzle, although that may come as a byproduct given how great is. Nevertheless, in the case of magic that seems to be the thing first and foremost.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Is God's power the same as magic?

Post #32

Post by nobspeople »

OnceConvinced wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:01 pm Theists often get upset when people talk about God doing acts and referring to it as magic. But is there any real difference?

The first recorded act of God was creating light and what did he do? He made a verbal incantation: "Let there be light!"

Note: Abracadabra Hebrew meaning: “I will create as I speak,�
https://www.thejc.com/judaism/jewish-wo ... a-1.466709

So we have a god supposedly conjuring up things with magic words. Then we also have people claiming to have magical powers (some even claim those powers come from God himself).

Is there really any difference?
What are those differences?
Only differences I see is that magic is said to be of man (or Satan as some Christians believe based upon my experience) and what God did or does is of God and thus, more special. Perfect even.
Yet another excuse
Have a great, potentially godless, day!