Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Elijah John
Savant

Did Jesus exist?

Post #1

Post by Elijah John »

Did Jesus exist?

If not, please make the case that he did not exist, even as a completely human first century Jew.
My theological positions:

-God created us in His image, not the other way around.
-The Bible is redeemed by it's good parts.
-Pure monotheism, simple repentance.
-YHVH is LORD
-The real Jesus is not God, the real YHVH is not a monster.
-Eternal life is a gift from the Living God.
-Keep the Commandments, keep your salvation.
-I have accepted YHVH as my Heavenly Father, LORD and Savior.

I am inspired by Jesus to worship none but YHVH, and to serve only Him.

Tcg
Savant

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Its still nil... could be true? who knows? Personally i think nil is good enough to establish that Jesus could be my personal savior... Maybe a nil chance, but its possible
Nil means zero, none or nothing. You are testifying that there is zero chance that Jesus could be your personal savior. I agree with your evaluation, but I'm not sure you understand the claim you are making.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #12

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
Its still nil... could be true? who knows? Personally i think nil is good enough to establish that Jesus could be my personal savior... Maybe a nil chance, but its possible
Nil means zero, none or nothing. You are testifying that there is zero chance that Jesus could be your personal savior. I agree with your evaluation, but I'm not sure you understand the claim you are making.

Tcg
dang words and their meaning...

You know what? The use of the word, is established by what im trying to say, the meaning of words is to convey my thoughts, and i decided its meaning, though wrong technically, but not in my head....

So was it wrong? idk.. maybe i can create meaning for words that contradict its original meaning... is that a bad thing? It's not like im sinning, right? (which is my knew catch phrase)....

Could be worse... i could be killing people?

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:
Yes, you could. The question at hand, however, is, "Did Jesus exist?" How does your ability to kill people address this question?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Clownboat
Savant

Post #14

Post by Clownboat »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:
Yes, you could. The question at hand, however, is, "Did Jesus exist?" How does your ability to kill people address this question?

Tcg
Many Christians purport that they would kill, rob and/or rape etc... if not for their god.
Perhaps that is the case here?

I find it most likely that there was a Jesus character of sorts (or numerous) that started much of the rumors that were later reported about the said character(s). Therefore, I will not make a case for there not being a Jesus that at least played a part in the rumors that were later spread about him.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Tcg
Dang it Tcg... concentrate on having fluid conversations buddy... "you didnt use the word right"~you "so what"~me "so that doesnt answer the topic"~you

fine...

I have a case for the historical Jesus which I have found that no body has denied or challenged... Would you like it?

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Tart »

Clownboat wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Tcg
Many Christians purport that they would kill, rob and/or rape etc... if not for their god.
Dang you guys are good at understanding things. It must be the scientific materialism working in your brains. the brilliance of chemical reactions firing off randomly to form thoughts that help people understand words...

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote:

Dang it Tcg... concentrate on having fluid conversations buddy... "you didnt use the word right"~you
You are misrepresenting my reply. I agreed that you were using the right word. You simply didn't realize it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

marco
Savant

Post #18

Post by marco »

Clownboat wrote:

There are others who kill because they have a god. I don't think the onlooker is protected either way. Jesus suggested we should take our example from God and try to be like him so perhaps Jesus was recommending murder as a way of self-expression.

Jesus may have existed but he probably didn't do any of the things reported of him.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #19

Post by Tart »

Tcg wrote:
Tart wrote:

Dang it Tcg... concentrate on having fluid conversations buddy... "you didnt use the word right"~you
You are misrepresenting my reply. I agreed that you were using the right word. You simply didn't realize it.

Tcg
Tcg...
dude
what does this have to do with the topic man. Can we please concentrate on the historical Jesus...

marco
Savant

Re: Did Jesus exist?

Post #20

Post by marco »

Elijah John wrote: Did Jesus exist?

If not, please make the case that he did not exist, even as a completely human first century Jew.
The problem with asking whether Jesus existed is that one is being invited to accept water became wine, Lazarus reversed his decaying processes and sundry blind people saw without the help of an optician.

A preacher, a rebel, a fanatic … probably did exist and created a stir. The Jesus we know is a mix of the ideas of centuries: good man, fine friend; divine messenger, spiritual adviser, miracle worker, resurrectionist, air traveller, time traveller and finally God.

When someone said that position was already filled, the Trinity sprang into being. It would take a miracle to find the real Jesus in all this. He is all things to all men.