Why is communication with God one way?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

marco
Savant

Why is communication with God one way?

Post #1

Post by marco »

Communication with the Christian deity seems one directional. If we try many times to contact someone and get no answer what should we assume?
The person is annoyed with us? The person has gone or is dead? Our method of contact is faulty - maybe a wrong number?

In the case of God what is the explanation for communication being only one way?

marco
Savant

Post #91

Post by marco »

Danmark wrote: Let's examine the facts.
God wrote or inspired the 66 books of the Bible to an audience roughly 2000 to 3000 years ago. Then 'he' stopped.
Apparently he had nothing to say when man got past the iron age.
No - at Christ's baptism he shouted "That's my boy!" and apparently when Paul was travelling to Damascus he shone a bright light and asked: "What do you think you're doing?" Scary stuff.
Danmark wrote:
yet this God who cares so much about our moral nature, even our thoughts, has nothing more to teach us. His interest communicating with us ended with the dawn of the age of science. Very curious indeed.
There is a theory that God speaks through the lips of a child called Greta Thunberg, confounding princes and presidents. So maybe....

Savant

Post #92

Post by 1213 »

Danmark wrote: … With our increasingly complex technology and knowledge, ethical and moral issues have expanded, yet this God who cares so much about our moral nature, even our thoughts, has nothing more to teach us. His interest communicating with us ended with the dawn of the age of science…..
Maybe there is just nothing important to teach to us at the moment. However, in Biblical point of view, God has not left disciples of Jesus alone, because:

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26

Savant

Re: Why is communication with God one way?

Post #93

Post by 1213 »

marco wrote: ….if I want an answer from God I don't think treating you as his divine secretary will serve any purpose...
Ok, I thought so, but I was just curious to know what would you want from God.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #94

Post by Danmark »

marco wrote:
Danmark wrote: Let's examine the facts.
God wrote or inspired the 66 books of the Bible to an audience roughly 2000 to 3000 years ago. Then 'he' stopped.
Apparently he had nothing to say when man got past the iron age.
No - at Christ's baptism he shouted "That's my boy!" and apparently when Paul was travelling to Damascus he shone a bright light and asked: "What do you think you're doing?" Scary stuff.
Danmark wrote:
yet this God who cares so much about our moral nature, even our thoughts, has nothing more to teach us. His interest communicating with us ended with the dawn of the age of science. Very curious indeed.
There is a theory that God speaks through the lips of a child called Greta Thunberg, confounding princes and presidents. So maybe....
Well... if God had Asperger's... that would explain a lot.

I think God is too embarrassed to speak again, considering all the things he got wrong in Genesis. But if she did come back first thing God would do, after a 2000 year delay, would be to tell all the religionists who claimed to speak for her how they got it hopelessly wrong and should shut up; that hshe is perfectly capable of speaking for hermself.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #95

Post by Danmark »

1213 wrote:
Danmark wrote: … With our increasingly complex technology and knowledge, ethical and moral issues have expanded, yet this God who cares so much about our moral nature, even our thoughts, has nothing more to teach us. His interest communicating with us ended with the dawn of the age of science…..
Maybe there is just nothing important to teach to us at the moment. However, in Biblical point of view, God has not left disciples of Jesus alone, because:

But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things, and will remind you of all that I said to you.
John 14:26
This is demonstrably untrue. If 'he' had actually sent 'the comforter' Christians at least would be able to agree with each other. Not only are there thousands of religions that disagree with each other, but just take Christianity alone, there is vast disagreement on the nature of God and what it teaches. Many catholics and protestants have been willing to kill over those differences. God could clear all that up. Certainly he could confirm (or more likely repudiate) what Paul said about God sending our leaders.

According to Paul, God shows that 'he' exists by how he formed nature, so 'he' cares about us getting it right; therefore he could let us know exactly HOW he created nature so the heated creationist/evolutionist debate could be put to rest. And if God does not care, then why did he talk to us in the first place?

No, it makes much more sense to believe there is no God at all, or that humans have completely misunderstood him and it is utter blasphemy to pretend to know either his nature or his opinion.

I can think of nothing more prideful and contemptuous, than to claim to speak for God.

Savant

Post #96

Post by 1213 »

Danmark wrote: …This is demonstrably untrue. If 'he' had actually sent 'the comforter' Christians at least would be able to agree with each other…
It is possible that those who are really disciples of Jesus (Christian), agree with each other. Not all who call themselves Christian, are loyal to Jesus.
Danmark wrote:Not only are there thousands of religions that disagree with each other, but just take Christianity alone, there is vast disagreement on the nature of God and what it teaches. Many catholics and protestants have been willing to kill over those differences. God could clear all that up…
Bible is very clear for all those who remain in truth. If some people don’t want to hear what the Bible tells, why would they listen God, if He would tell the same? All differences that I have seen are based on that people take just small part of what is told in the Bible and then ignore all the parts they don’t like.
Danmark wrote:According to Paul, God shows that 'he' exists by how he formed nature, so 'he' cares about us getting it right; therefore he could let us know exactly HOW he created nature so the heated creationist/evolutionist debate could be put to rest.
I don’t think that would change anything, because the problem is not what is the truth, but what people want to see and hear. It is really about denying God, not about how things came to exist. If there would be no need to deny God’s existence and “science� would look things honestly, the whole evolution idea wouldn’t exist, because there is really no real scientific reason to have it.