Doctor Jesus

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SallyF
Guru

Doctor Jesus

Post #1

Post by SallyF »

Faithful Father, thank you that you hear and answer my prayers. The Bible says that, to those who ask, it will be given, to those who seek, it will be found and to those who knock, the door will be opened. Hear my prayer for a successful surgery. Give me assurance that I will be healed. May Christ dwell in my heart through faith so that I, being rooted and grounded in love, may have the strength to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge. May I be filled with all the fullness of God. Through Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen. https://connectusfund.org/21-short-powe ... to-go-well

Can we demonstrate that the "Faithful Father" (the mythological god Jehovah/Yahweh) is in any way ever involved in human medical procedures, or that Christ dwells in anyone's heart …?

Could this be dangerous superstition …?
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

Tcg
Savant

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote: Without faith we are dead in sin...
I'm not. I'm alive and kicking.
A doctor can do nothing but prolong your suffering, and give you more time to be bound to sin...
Doctors can and sometimes do prolong life, mortal life, the only life we know for sure we will ever have.
Faith can set you free...
There is nothing I need to be set free from. I am free and didn't need faith to become so.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Zzyzx »

Tart wrote: Without faith we are dead in sin...

Speak for yourself. Others are not bound by your opinions or supernatural beliefs.
Tart wrote: A doctor can do nothing but prolong your suffering, and give you more time to be bound to sin...

A doctor installed a new heart valve for me three weeks ago – one night in the hospital, resume usual activities the next day. No more suffering than having a tooth filled. Gods were not involved or invited.

Those who prefer to 'suffer' or be 'dead in sin' (or to pray in lieu of modern medicine if they so desire) are welcome to inflict such things upon themselves.
Tart wrote: Faith can set you free...

I have no need for 'faith' to 'set me free' from anything. I was not indoctrinated to believe tales about 'sin' (though an attempt was made, I rejected that nonsense by age ten)
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #13

Post by brunumb »

Tart wrote: Without faith we are dead in sin... A doctor can do nothing but prolong your suffering, and give you more time to be bound to sin...

Faith can set you free...
Sin is the disease that religious belief gives you then offers to take away. Pretty much a case of Munchausen by proxy syndrome.

If life is just suffering and time to be bound in sin, I'm surprised that Christians don't spend all their prayer time on requests to God to take them as soon as possible.

Faith is the lock on the cage in which you are incarcerated when you accept religious beliefs. Loss of that faith is what will set you free.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Menotu
Sage

Re: Doctor Jesus

Post #14

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 1 by SallyF]
Beliefs don't need any facts or truths. They simply need a person or two to say 'Yup that's right - I agree! It fits with my lifestyle just fine'

You can believe God is with you while you operate, drive a car, eat, win the game, walk the dog, yell at the neighbor, kill the infidels, help the Nazis escape, molest the children (the list pretty much endless).

Like people say: guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns.
You can also say: beliefs aren't good or bad, it's the people using the belief to support that action that's good or bad.

Menotu
Sage

Post #15

Post by Menotu »

[Replying to post 13 by brunumb]
I'm surprised that Christians don't spend all their prayer time on requests to God to take them as soon as possible.
I've always found this odd:
You have a Christian with a spouse that's a terminal illness. You'd think they'd be saying 'Awesome - s/he will get to heaven so much quicker now!' Yet they don't tend to do that. They usually plead and beg God to save their spouse. Which speaks to their faith, their selfishness, lack of true Christian belief and their lack of love for God IMO.

Tart
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Tart »

[Replying to brunumb]

Faith is everything... Faith is freedom... faith is the law of the heart summed up...without faith you are dead in sin... absolutely... with faith you are set free...

To Jews Christ is a stumbling block and to gentiles He’s foolishness, but to those called he is the power of God and the wisdom of God.. for the foolishness of God (ie faith) is wiser then human wisdom and the weakness of God (humility to death on a cross) is stronger then human strength

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

Tart wrote: [Replying to brunumb]

Faith is everything... Faith is freedom... faith is the law of the heart summed up...without faith you are dead in sin... absolutely... with faith you are set free...
Jamie Coots had faith. The bible told him he could handle snakes and not be harmed.

Jamie is now dead. He died handling the snakes the bible said wouldn't harm him.

His son Coody had the same level of faith. The result is obvious.

If one considers life to be a burden, this kind of faith will certainly set one free from life.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #18

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 16 by Tart]
I don't know how you can say that Tart. Faith allows someone to believe in something that is patently false as easily as it allows someone to believe something that is true. Faith has no means of distinguishing between the two. There is a multitude of different religions in the world and all of their respective followers are doing so on faith. Clearly most of them must be wrong and possibly all of them. So how does tying yourself to any one of them set you free? Each believer only thinks they have found the truth but faith could have led them astray. Each will no doubt argue vehemently that everyone else is clearly deluded or has been led astray. Getting a warm and fuzzy feeling when you read the holy book of your choice is not a sign that you have backed the right horse.

Sin is a religious concept that has no bearing on reality. It is the bait used to ensnare the believer by threatening eternal damnation if they don't abide by the rules and dictates laid down by the leaders. There is no evidence to show that the concept of sin is real or that the threatened consequences of sin are real. It comes down to faith. You just have to believe, end of story. The majority of people will not rely on faith alone when making other important decisions in their life, but somehow all of that flies out the window when it comes to religion. Still, I don't think that belief and faith are products of reasoned thought. They are the result of insidious indoctrination instead.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

SallyF
Guru

Post #19

Post by SallyF »

Can we demonstrate that the "Faithful Father" (the mythological god Jehovah/Yahweh) is in any way ever involved in human medical procedures, or that Christ dwells in anyone's heart …?

Could this be dangerous superstition …?
Not a soul has demonstrated that the biblical Jehovah is in any way ever involved in human medical procedures.

Not a soul has demonstrated that Jehovah exists anywhere other than in the imaginations of believers and on the pages of human-written "scripture".

Which leaves us with superstition …

Which can be downright dangerous …

When one has "faith".

SallyF
Guru

Post #20

Post by SallyF »

Some biblical instructions are followed at face value ... to the letter.

Some are chosen to mean other than what they say at face value.

The face value is very clear to me here.

It's also very clear to me that we are dealing with Christian superstition.

Especially as - to the best of my knowledge - most Christians choose this passage to mean other than what it says … and do not follow this biblical instruction.

I suggest that certain Christians also recognise Christian superstition when they see it.

This is one of the numerous reasons that I argue against Christianity.