Slave

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Slave

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

I've seen some on here mention they are 'a slave to Christ'.
Does this mean exactly what it says?
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
Or should every Christina consider themselves, a 'slave to Christ' in the most strict standards?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Slave

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Choose your master at least seems to be a conscious decision rather than remaining unconscious to whom your master is.
Better yet, choose to not be enslaved by anyone or anything. Is a conscious decision to be free of any masters. It's a great way to live.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #12

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote:
Choose your master at least seems to be a conscious decision rather than remaining unconscious to whom your master is.
Better yet, choose to not be enslaved by anyone or anything. Is a conscious decision to be free of any masters. It's a great way to live.

Tcg
That is denial, worse that being unconscious.

Look at your life, count how many masters you have.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote:

Tcg
That is denial, worse that being unconscious.
You'll need to support this claim with some sort of attempt of providing evidence before it merits further comment.

Look at your life, count how many masters you have.
That number is zero.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 13 by Tcg]

Anyone else in this thread think they are not a slave?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Menotu
Sage

Post #15

Post by Menotu »

Wootah wrote:
Menotu wrote: I've seen some on here mention they are 'a slave to Christ'.
Does this mean exactly what it says?
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
Or should every Christina consider themselves, a 'slave to Christ' in the most strict standards?
The harsh reality here seems to be that you guys don't think you are slaves.

Kindly explain just who 'you guys' is and how you know all of these guys well enough to make such a blanket statement

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 13 by Tcg]

Anyone else in this thread think they are not a slave?
This is not a presentation of evidence. Is this request for help from others your admission that you can't in fact support your earlier claim?

Even if you received the support your are requesting, it would only be evidence of other's opinions about themselves. It would prove nothing about me.

Tcg

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #17

Post by Zzyzx »

Tcg wrote:
Wootah wrote: Look at your life, count how many masters you have.
That number is zero.
Same here.

I am single.

I answer to no one (and darn sure not some invisible, undetectable, supernatural entity proposed by its worshipers).

I've been retired and job-free for forty years.

I have secure reserves sufficient to support my lifestyle for decades (and am eighty years of age).
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

Wootah
Savant

Post #18

Post by Wootah »

Two non-slaves: TCG and Zzyzx. Go on then non-slaves, show you aren't a slave to the rules of this forum? Post something that would get you banned. If you do then you show to me you aren't slaves, if you don't then perhaps you should retract the statements that you aren't slaves.

Why is the common-sense notion that we are all slaves to reality, causality and other people so hard for some to accept?

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Two non-slaves: TCG and Zzyzx. Go on then non-slaves, show you aren't a slave to the rules of this forum? Post something that would get you banned. If you do then you show to me you aren't slaves, if you don't then perhaps you should retract the statements that you aren't slaves.
I'll show that I am not a slave to you by not posting something that would get me banned. I have the freedom to do so, but choose not to for two main reasons:

1. I respect otseng and his efforts to provide a civil forum for debate.

2. I enjoy posting here and choose not to lose that privilege.

These reasons compel me to choose freely to not post something that would intentionally get me banned. Given that, I will not retract my factual statement that I am not a slave.

Why is the common-sense notion that we are all slaves to reality, causality and other people so hard for some to accept?
Why is the fact that some choose freedom so hard to accept?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #20

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 19 by Tcg]

Good grief. I honestly think this exchange will make you a better person as you show that of your own free will you follow all the rules and it's not because you are a slave /facepalm. I guess that is a bonus.

Can you admit anything in this thread on slavery and how we are all slaves one way or another?