Slave

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Menotu
Sage

Slave

Post #1

Post by Menotu »

I've seen some on here mention they are 'a slave to Christ'.
Does this mean exactly what it says?
Is it symbolic?
Is it even healthy?
Or should every Christina consider themselves, a 'slave to Christ' in the most strict standards?

Tcg
Savant

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote:
Can you admit anything in this thread on slavery and how we are all slaves one way or another?
Why should I? No evidence to support this claim has been provided.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #22

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to post 21 by Tcg]

There's no evidence from you that you can violate the forum by getting banned. The best I can do to help your argument is to admit that if an object has no freewill then it is not a slave.

Which is it for you: a slave or no free will?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #23

Post by Wootah »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 21 by Tcg]

There's no evidence from you that you can violate the forum by getting banned. The best I can do to help your argument is to admit that if an object has no freewill then it is not a slave.

Which is it for you: a slave or no free will?
Or an admission, which is simply common sense, that you follow the rules as we all do.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #24

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: [Replying to post 21 by Tcg]

There's no evidence from you that you can violate the forum by getting banned.
I've provided evidence that I choose not to intentionally "violate the forum by getting banned."

This choice is an example of freedom, not slavery.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Menotu wrote:
Red Wolf wrote: Do you Christians want to be God's slave back in the Garden of Eden? Do you want to run naked through God's garden, and then run to God when he whistles? Do you want to lie at God's feet and eat fresh fruit from God's hand?
Sounds very much like a man-dog relationship. But I love my dog and wouldn't allow her to spend a burning eternity. I suppose that's the difference.

Do you believe the God of the bible threatens the disobedient with eternal burning in Hellfire? We are no longer in the dark ages... people have access to scripture now and dont have to believe what that their clergy tell them the bible teaches (thank God!).

I find that most atheists I have talked to hold to the biblical interpretations they were indoctrinated with as children, and true to the nature of indoctrination, will argue for those interpretations even as adults, often never having studied alternatives. Which is a shame since they are rejecting a notion of God their church or priest told them about and may well reconsider if they let go of such unbiblical idea as the immortality of the soul or the existence of a place where such "souls" are tortured.

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #26

Post by Zzyzx »

Wootah wrote: Two non-slaves: TCG and Zzyzx. Go on then non-slaves, show you aren't a slave to the rules of this forum? Post something that would get you banned. If you do then you show to me you aren't slaves, if you don't then perhaps you should retract the statements that you aren't slaves.
Definitions of the word 'slave'
Slave: a person held in servitude as the chattel of another: one that is completely subservient to a dominating influence www.merriam-webster.com

Slave: a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person:
www.dictionary.com
Using slang expressions one might say that they are a 'slave' to watching television, morning coffee, modes of dress, alcohol, debating on the internet, etc. However, such use departs from the meaning of slavery.

When it becomes necessary to warp definitions in order to make your (generic term) point, one might be wise to consider the flaws in their position that necessitate such tactics.
Wootah wrote: Why is the common-sense notion that we are all slaves to reality, causality and other people so hard for some to accept?
Because it is not true. See definitions of the term

However, those who choose to regard themselves as slaves are welcome to do so -- for themselves alone.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #27

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 25 by JehovahsWitness]
We are no longer in the dark ages... people have access to scripture now and dont have to believe what that their clergy tell them the bible teaches (thank God!).
And yet the majority of theists rely on preachers and regular classes where the main purpose is to instill in them the 'correct' meaning and interpretation of the contents of their holy books. As far as religions go, we may very well still be in the dark ages.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #28

Zzyzx wrote: .

Definitions of the word 'slave'
Slave: a person held in servitude as the chattel of another: one that is completely subservient to a dominating influence www.merriam-webster.com

Slave: a person who is the property of and wholly subject to another; a bond servant.
a person entirely under the domination of some influence or person:
www.dictionary.com

I see no element of consciousness or acknowledgement in the definition of slavedom; it only encompasses ownership and influence. In other words one can conceivably be a slave and not know it. And if one can be a slave but not be conscious of that, one could arguably declare oneself a "non-slave" yet in reality indeed be a slave.

“The best slave is the one who thinks he is free.�

― Johann von Goethe

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Red Wolf
Apprentice

Post #29

Post by Red Wolf »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Red Wolf wrote: Do you Christians want to be God's slave back in the Garden of Eden? Do you want to run naked through God's garden, and then run to God when he whistles? Do you want to lie at God's feet and eat fresh fruit from God's hand?

This Christian does! Yes absolutely!

As for naked... You got something against naked? Adam and Eve lost their innocence for themselves and their children and that it seems from the bible account, that, effected how they viewed their own bodies, which is a shame because we are wonderfully made. Arguably someone (probably a woman) would have sooner or later dreampt up the concept of clothing... but in a perfect world it would no dobut have been born from invention and artistic expression rather than fear and shame.

Anyway, naked or clothed I'll take paradise under Gods rule over the often oppressive rule of imperfect humans and a closet full of designer clothes any day of the week!!!

JEHOVAHS WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Was sex the "original sin"?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 188#954188

Are there TWO different Genesis accounts of creation?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 688#941688
Ha Ha Ha....that's a Dog's life. Do you really want that? Humans have made tremendous progress through SCIENCE. There is no progress with a Dog's life.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Red Wolf wrote:
....that's a Dog's life.

Why would you compare "paradise under Gods rule" to the life of a dog ?