Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? My brother died at the age of 8 days because the doctor made mistakes. My parents told me that my brother went to heaven to live there in happiness for ever and ever. I asked them, "Why don't we all die and join him in heaven?" They said that it was forbidden to commit suicide. Makes me think that there really isn't any heaven after death. Why bother with life before death when life after death is promised to be infinitely better?

Menotu
Sage

Re: Why don't religious people just go to heaven?

Post #11

Post by Menotu »

Compassionist wrote: Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? My brother died at the age of 8 days because the doctor made mistakes. My parents told me that my brother went to heaven to live there in happiness for ever and ever. I asked them, "Why don't we all die and join him in heaven?" They said that it was forbidden to commit suicide. Makes me think that there really isn't any heaven after death. Why bother with life before death when life after death is promised to be infinitely better?
People are told suicide is a form of murder and murder is a sin and thus suicide is a sin. People are told A LOT of things are sins (many of these things believers don't all agree are sins at all)
It's all a method to control the lives of people (and eventually, take their money)
Prostitution is said to be the oldest business. I say religion is the oldest (and maybe most successful) business.
While there are Christians that truly do care about the souls of others, there are more (IMO) that don't because Christianity is selfish. They only really care about themselves getting in to heaven. And they justify just about anything to make sure, in their view, they can get in to heaven.

Compassionist
Guru

Post #12

Post by Compassionist »

Menotu wrote:
Compassionist wrote: Billions of people on Earth believe that when the die they will go to heaven. Why don't they just kill themselves and go to heaven? My brother died at the age of 8 days because the doctor made mistakes. My parents told me that my brother went to heaven to live there in happiness for ever and ever. I asked them, "Why don't we all die and join him in heaven?" They said that it was forbidden to commit suicide. Makes me think that there really isn't any heaven after death. Why bother with life before death when life after death is promised to be infinitely better?
People are told suicide is a form of murder and murder is a sin and thus suicide is a sin. People are told A LOT of things are sins (many of these things believers don't all agree are sins at all)
It's all a method to control the lives of people (and eventually, take their money)
Prostitution is said to be the oldest business. I say religion is the oldest (and maybe most successful) business.
While there are Christians that truly do care about the souls of others, there are more (IMO) that don't because Christianity is selfish. They only really care about themselves getting in to heaven. And they justify just about anything to make sure, in their view, they can get in to heaven.
I find that Christians cherry pick verses from the Bible to suit themselves and their goals and agendas.

Menotu
Sage

Post #13

Post by Menotu »

Compassionist wrote:
Menotu wrote:
I find that Christians cherry pick verses from the Bible to suit themselves and their goals and agendas.
Justification. It's taught in some churches, assumed in others. While that ability is likely very 'human' one would think Christians would be above that.
Like many things (molestation, lies, greed and theft), they're no better than any one else, even though they are said to have the Holy Spirit and a direct line of sight to the Almighty.
What does that mean?
Their faith is worthless
God is worthless
Or both

The Tanager
Savant

Post #14

Post by The Tanager »

Compassionist wrote:Ecclesiastes 4:1-3 New International Version (NIV)

Again I looked and saw all the oppression that was taking place under the sun:

I saw the tears of the oppressed—
and they have no comforter;
power was on the side of their oppressors—
and they have no comforter.

And I declared that the dead,
who had already died,
are happier than the living,
who are still alive.

But better than both
is the one who has never been born,
who has not seen the evil
that is done under the sun.

Given the above verses, why do Christians have children? I would have preferred it if my parents did not have me and my brother. In fact, I think it is better for all sentient biological organisms to never be conceived into this horrific world full of suffering because then they would never suffer.
In my understanding, the main message from the main character of the story is that everything is hevel, it's like smoke or a vapor. We try to find meaning and purpose in things that are temporary and fleeting. Even followers of God will still experience suffering. People will experience injustice, their achievements will be forgotten, their money will go away, etc.

The author offers his own conclusion at the end of the book. He does not disagree with everything the main character has said, much of life is out of our control, but true meaning is found in the hope of God's judgment, clearing away the hevel and bringing true justice to the world. That hope should fuel our life.

There are great goods and joys to experience in this life. We have children to grow the community of love, which can extend beyond this life. Suffering occurs, but love is greater. That love is worth building and suffering for.

Let me also add my thoughts to the suicide question. I do not think suicide automatically keeps you from God's kingdom. I do think suicide speaks to a deeper problem being present and that there is hope for all who are considering suicide.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #15

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Compassionist wrote: I would have preferred it if my parents did not have me and my brother. In fact, I think it is better for all sentient biological organisms to never be conceived into this horrific world full of suffering because then they would never suffer.
That is understandable, but life is still a precious gift and there is a hope. God plans to put an end to all suffering and pain so people can enjoy life on earth as He (God) originally intended.

LINK
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... suffering/

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Compassionist
Guru

Post #16

Post by Compassionist »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Compassionist wrote: I would have preferred it if my parents did not have me and my brother. In fact, I think it is better for all sentient biological organisms to never be conceived into this horrific world full of suffering because then they would never suffer.
That is understandable, but life is still a precious gift and there is a hope. God plans to put an end to all suffering and pain so people can enjoy life on earth as He (God) originally intended.

LINK
https://www.jw.org/en/library/magazines ... suffering/

JEHOVAHS WITNESS
Thank you for your reply and the link. I am not convinced that the promises made in the Bible will be fulfilled. I find the Bible to be false and unethical. Please see https://www.evilbible.com and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com Thank you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

[Replying to post 16 by Compassionist]

You are most welcome. Do read the information when you have a little time, I think you will change your mind.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Compassionist
Guru

Post #18

Post by Compassionist »

JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Compassionist]

You are most welcome. Do read the information when you have a little time, I think you will change your mind.

JW
I did read the linked webpage. I am familiar with the quoted verses. I have been trying to prove the Bible to be true and ethical to myself since 24 December 2004 when I first started questioning the Bible after watching this documentary: Have you seen this documentary? Did you view https://www.evilbible.com/ and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ ?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #19

Compassionist wrote:
JehovahsWitness wrote: [Replying to post 16 by Compassionist]

JW
I did read the linked webpage. I am familiar with the quoted verses. I have been trying to prove the Bible to be true and ethical to myself since 24 December 2004 when I first started questioning the Bible after watching this documentary: Have you seen this documentary? Did you view https://www.evilbible.com/ and http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/ ?

Well then you'll need some more detailed material. I'll link below (but I would advise concentrating first on the issue of your atheism. It's no good researching if the bible is the word of a God you don't believe exists).
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/publication/r1/lp-e/ct

The publication All scripture inspired might be what you need
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/library/r1/lp ... ripture-si

Perhaps start with this CHAPTER: The Bible—Authentic and Inspired
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1962284
To learn more please see other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BEST TRANSLATION
* bible interpretation

JW

brunumb
Savant

Post #20

Post by brunumb »

Bust Nak wrote: [Replying to post 1 by Compassionist]

Hmm, "it was forbidden to commit suicide" seems to answer your question just fine. What isn't so clear is why they don't kill others to get their victim into heaven.
They are not allowed to kill is the obvious answer to that one. On the other hand you have to wonder why they don't willingly succumb to diseases and other life-threatening situations. The existence of religiously based medical institutions is also a mystery. Whatever happened to "it's god's will"?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.