Show Me A Sign

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

earl
Scholar

Show Me A Sign

Post #1

Post by earl »

Can there be physical evidence for proof of God's existence?
What physical demonstration of power and presence should God perform for you to prove to you God is real?
What physical proof do you need?
Is your sign worthy enough to invoke God to show himself to you?

SallyF
Guru

Post #51

Post by SallyF »

earl wrote: SallyF,
Your time is now at hand to give an example of what a physical power and presence should God perform for you to prove to you God is real.
Let's hear it.

Certain Christians believe they DO witness the physical power and presence of Jehovah-Jesus-Holy Ghost.

But not a soul EVER begins to offer so much as a hint of any sort of evidence whatsoever that anyone's version of "God" is behind any of these things.
"God" … just whatever humans imagine it to be.

"Scripture" … just whatever humans write it to be.

SallyF
Guru

Post #52

Post by SallyF »

Now THIS would be a REALLY convincing physical sign …!!!

And if we teach Christian kiddies that it really happened, because "God" can do anything …

This video centers on an amazing moment where the sun stood still in the sky, and brings to life the Biblical account of Joshua 10. Your children will be in awe of the bold prayer of Joshua and God’s miraculous answer! Featuring award-winning artwork and powerful storytelling this Kids Bible Video is perfect for Sunday School, Bible study, homeschool, VBS and more.

And we teach them that ethic cleansing and genocide are just fine when "God" tells us it's okay …

20 So Joshua and the Israelites defeated them completely, but a few survivors managed to reach their fortified cities. 21 The whole army then returned safely to Joshua in the camp at Makkedah, and no one uttered a word against the Israelites.

22 Joshua said, “Open the mouth of the cave and bring those five kings out to me.� 23 So they brought the five kings out of the cave—the kings of Jerusalem, Hebron, Jarmuth, Lachish and Eglon. 24 When they had brought these kings to Joshua, he summoned all the men of Israel and said to the army commanders who had come with him, “Come here and put your feet on the necks of these kings.�

Christian kiddies may just grow up to become Christian adults who believe that "some people NEED to be killed" and Jehovah is about to come and exterminate most of humanity again.

But hey ...

Just having the sun and the moon stand still for a bit would be most convincing.

This New Atheist is okay without all the "God is Love" genocide.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #53

Post by Bust Nak »

SallyF wrote: And if we teach Christian kiddies that it really happened, because "God" can do anything …

And we teach them that ethic cleansing and genocide are just fine when "God" tells us it's okay …

Christian kiddies may just grow up to become Christian adults who believe that "some people NEED to be killed" and Jehovah is about to come and exterminate most of humanity again.
Moderator Comment

Just stick to the topic, these parts would be considered to not comply with the guidelines on ranting. Please read through the guidelines and abide by them.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

SallyF
Guru

Post #54

Post by SallyF »

earl wrote: SallyF,
Your time is now at hand to give an example of what a physical power and presence should God perform for you to prove to you God is real.
Let's hear it.

Mark 15:33 King James Version (KJV)

33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.

A three hour eclipse would be a MOST convincing sign …!

However …

F. THEN Came Christ’s Darkest Hour – Was Actually THREE Long Hours (Mark 15:33)

1. These three hours were Jesus’ Darkest Hours!

a. It is high noon. The sun is at its brightest in the sky.

b. Jesus has hung on the cross for three hours so far…

c. And something happens– right in the middle of the entire event - at the SIXTH HOUR of the day since dawn – a darkness comes over all the earth

2. It was not an eclipse

a. The darkness continued for three hours

1) The longest eclipse can last for only a few minutes

2) This occurred during the Passover, which is always observed at the time of the full moon, which makes a eclipse of the sun impossible

https://www.biblebc.com/Studies/Portrai ... _hour.html

It MUST have been some OTHER physical power and presence ....

Which would indeed be even MORE convincing than an explicable eclipse.

FWI
Sage

Re: Show Me A Sign

Post #55

Post by FWI »

[Replying to post 1 by earl]
earl wrote:Can there be physical evidence for proof of God's existence?

Not only can there be, there is physical evidence for God's existence: the universe and all that exist within it…
earl wrote:What physical demonstration of power and presence should God perform for you to prove to you God is real?

None! My understandings tells me that I didn't "come to be" out of nothing…Where, I recently viewed a 3-part series on the human body and the awe of the intelligent design included, as well as, the several times the doctors and narrators used the term "miracle" in their analysis. Yet, life is only a portion of what God has brought into being…So, what physical demonstration of power do you need for proof?

Therefore, from my perspective God doesn't need us to worship Him (as some may believe); God has need for nothing! It is we (humans) who need God…So, worshipping Him is a means to tell God that I need and want Him involved in my life.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #56

Post by Zzyzx »

My understandings tells me that I didn't "come to be" out of nothing…(my parents had something to do with it).

Yet, life is only a portion of what [Leprechaun] has brought into being…So, what physical demonstration of power do you need for proof?

Therefore, from my perspective [Leprechaun] doesn't need us to worship Him (as some may believe); [Leprechaun] has need for nothing! It is we (humans) who need [Leprechauns]…So, worshipping Him is a means to tell [Leprechaun] that I need and want Him involved in my life.

Replace [Leprechaun] with any word of choice
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

brunumb
Savant

Post #57

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to post 54 by FWI]
Not only can there be, there is physical evidence for God's existence: the universe and all that exist within it…
Just as pumpkin patches and all the gourds that exist within them are evidence for the existence of the Great Pumpkin. The universe is only evidence for itself. It is not evidence for the existence of any gods.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #58

Post by Athetotheist »

brunumb wrote:The universe is only evidence for itself. It is not evidence for the existence of any gods.
'Tis true that quoting the Bible to prove the Bible [or any other religious text] is a circular argument, but invoking the universe to explain the universe is also a circular argument.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #59

Post by Difflugia »

Athetotheist wrote:
brunumb wrote:The universe is only evidence for itself. It is not evidence for the existence of any gods.
'Tis true that quoting the Bible to prove the Bible [or any other religious text] is a circular argument, but invoking the universe to explain the universe is also a circular argument.
Evidence for it and an explanation of it are two different things.

You're right that the universe's existence doesn't explain the universe's existence, but it is pretty strong evidence that it does, in fact, exist. What it's not evidence for is an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent person that makes universes, but gets mad when the people in them get tattoos.

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #60

Post by Zzyzx »

Athetotheist wrote:
STUDYING the universe for explanations does make sense and has contributed to knowledge.

Studying gods or religions to explain the universe makes NO sense and has not been shown to contribute to knowledge.

Studying a disease to understand and combat it makes sense and has shown to be effective. Invoking gods or religion to understand or combat disease makes no sense and has not shown to be effective.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence