Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

2timothy316
Under Probation

Re: Re:

Post #341

Post by 2timothy316 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:52 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:46 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm

The bible also said Moses spoke with a talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed

Yes it does. So?
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims.

What is "stupid and ridiculous" about these claims? I see nothing of either in them.

JW
A burning bush that talks but isn't consumed is stupidly fantastic - speaking only of magic.
Resurrection? Ridiculously magical.
A jealous god that kills almost all of life on earth....with water? Surely such a being wouldn't be this inept to use water, much less entertaining a human-like emotion as jealously.
JMO of course - I'm sure that opinion is insulting to those who 'believe the ridiculous'.
Feel free, of course, to report my opinion, but remember: I once was fooled in to this utter nonsense I'm ashamed to say so I know of what I speak.
You mean like the men on the Moon and stupidly fantastic stuff like that. I hear ya.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #342

Post by JehovahsWitness »

A burning bush that talks but isn't consumed is stupidly fantastic - speaking only of magic.

I understand that is your belief but apart from expressing your feelings you have yet to offer any reason for your feelings.

Do you feel able to explain in complete sentences the reasons for your beliefs or is it just "you believe what you believe"?

No offense intended,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #343

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:39 pm

I understand that is your belief but apart from expressing your feelings you have yet to offer any reason for your feelings.

Do you feel able to explain in complete sentences the reasons for your beliefs or is it just "you believe what you believe"?

No offense intended,

JW
I don't see how anyone could legitimately ask someone for a reason why a talking and burning bush that's not consumed is ridiculous.
Common sense seems lost on believers these days. But that's not surprising when they're expected to believe the unbelievable.
Are those complete enough sentences for you?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #344

Post by nobspeople »

2timothy316 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:00 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:48 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:43 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:16 pm

The bible also said Moses spoke with a talking and burning bush that wasn't consumed

Yes it does. So?
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims.

What is "stupid and ridiculous" about these claims? I see nothing of either in them.

JW
A jealous god that kills almost all of life on earth....with water? Surely such a being wouldn't be this inept to use water, much less entertaining a human-like emotion as jealously.
JMO of course - I'm sure that opinion is insulting to those who 'believe the ridiculous'.
Feel free, of course, to report my opinion, but remember: I once was fooled in to this utter nonsense I'm ashamed to say so I know of what I speak.
You mean like the men on the Moon and stupidly fantastic stuff like that. I hear ya.
I suppose if you think things like that magical, then yes those would be ridiculous as well.
We all believe (or not) what we choose, now don't we?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #345

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:02 pm
I suppose if you think things like that magical, then yes those would be ridiculous as well.
That is true but some beliefs are more valid than others. Since, correct me if I am wrong, you gave not presented any reasons for yor own beliefs it is impossible to tell if they are based on solid reason or not.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #346

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm
That is true but some beliefs are more valid than others. Since, correct me if I am wrong, you gave not presented any reasons for yor own beliefs it is impossible to tell if they are based on solid reason or not.

JW
I'm not sure if I understand your 'question' but I'll try to figure it out:
A belief - any belief - doesn't need anything to exist other than someone to pick up and say 'Yup makes sense to me!'
Beliefs need to facts
Beliefs need no reason
Beliefs need to support evidence (or evidence of any kind)
They, much like a god, need only for a person to accept it.
They can be ridiculous, stupid, moronic, simple. Or they can be stupendous, well thought and educated.

About validity of beliefs: to me, that's a contradiction as any validity is subjective to the person being asked about said belief. Your beliefs are valid to you and I think, most of them, are ridiculous if not out right lies.
Does that matter to you? Of course not; your life will likely continue relatively unabated I suspect.

If you want to believe a guy from Kansas is the messiah and will take you to heaven in a spaceship made of cheese to meet Julia Child and have her cook you a meal of Mondosian swamp rat, that's likely a valid belief to you. And maybe a few others. That doesn't make it valid to others.
So discussing the 'validity' of a belief is a waste of time, here, as it will expound in to arguing, likely, to the point of forgetting the original topic altogether.

So validity of belief, while maybe good for arguing, is immaterial to me and, as you're using it here, well, I guess the rest of that sentence is against forum rules.

Do I have a valid reason to believe this? Yes. Do I need to provide it to you? No. But that doesn't create any cessation of that belief.

William
Savant

Post #347

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:21 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:07 pm

JW
So discussing the 'validity' of a belief is a waste of time, here, as it will expound in to arguing, likely, to the point of forgetting the original topic altogether.
This is altogether the very reason religions have exploded into the real world...because the adherents are implicit in their ability to bring the discussion to focus upon their beliefs, effectively wasting the time of those who have fallen for it [the tactic].

In truth, such religious beliefs are non-negotiable and therefor the offer of 'debating' is deceit, for there is no way in which non-negotiable beliefs can actually be debated with those holding said beliefs. There is a certain conceit involved with that deceit. The disease of conceit creates the deceit.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #348

So discussing the 'validity' of a belief is a waste of time...
If that is how you feel, don't do it, time is our most valuable commodity so its always best not to waste it. That said in a debating forum you will on occassion be asked to back up your comments with more than a emoji.
So it speaks of many stupid and ridiculous claims. ... :tunedout:

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #349

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:15 pm
So discussing the 'validity' of a belief is a waste of time...
If that is how you feel, don't do it, time is our most valuable commodity so its always best not to waste it. That said in a debating forum you will on occassion be asked to back up your comments with more than a emoji.

Regards,

JW
Your advice was never needed, but....thanks...anyway...I guess...? :confused2:
Anyway, I'm not here debating the thoroughness of the bible, or God, what dead man meant or didn't mean when they wrote whatever story, as I've mad up my mind, for now, on that matter. \:D/
As I've said before, I'm here to learn about the people claiming to "know", worship and speak to such a thing, with an added benefit of watching 'brothers and sisters' bicker amongst themselves, watching their houses crumble around them of course (as always, the people are much more interesting than the stories told by dead men).
Entertainment and all that, as this is not a location for peer reviewed documentation, no matter how some seem to see it.

All of this solidifies my opinion that my decision to ditch such a cult was the correct one. And to that end, you've been most helpful.

brunumb
Savant

Post #350

Post by brunumb »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:01 pm I don't see how anyone could legitimately ask someone for a reason why a talking and burning bush that's not consumed is ridiculous.
One really has to wonder about the mental capacity of an omnipotent deity that has to engage in such primitive and laughable behaviour. Jehovah certainly qualifies as the Clown God.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.