Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #231

Post by Danmark »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Danmark wrote: Evangelicals have been preaching about the 'last days' and the 'antichrist' for 2000 years. When he finally shows up, they elect him President. :)

"And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for three and a half years."
__ Revelation 13:5

"... and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet colored beast, full of names of blasphemy...."
[Hmmmmm . . . scarlet is an orange tinged red :) ]
__ Revelation 17:3

For 2000 years people have been using these 'prophesies' to make whatever point they want.

Oh so YOU are allowed to refer to the biblical "last days" AND quote scripture but when timothy or I do the same thing it is suddenly "irrelevant"? Is that it? I wonder how many people will try and shut you down and send you over to TD&D because you refer to the bible in your comment?

Could it be the bible and biblical reference is irrelevant except when it is being criticized?
What Z said. But you are missing the point, that Biblical prophesies are worthless...
... or, are you seriously calling Trump the antichrist? :) I don't believe any of this nonsense, but you do. Fine. The point is that the Bible is no more authority than any other work of its kind.
The second point is that these 'last days' passages have been used for 2000 years to predict virtually every day, some 730,000 days, as the 'last day. I'm just showing how easily the 'prophesies' can be used to to show whatever you want, including that Trump is the antichrist. Maybe he is. He fits as well as anyone, perhaps better.

I had a Biblical Literature professor, a missionary to Africa, a pilot, and an astronomer, who could use the numbers game to show that anyone could be fit into the 'Mark of the Beast' verses. When a set of supposedly prophetic passages can be used to predict any person or any time frame, they are utterly useless as 'prophesy.'

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #232

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote: My opinion is that the bible is aauthoritive and it is biblical use that determines accurate understanding of biblical expressions.
That seems quite appropriate for TD&D or Holy Huddle. In C&A debates the Bible is NOT considered authoritative regardless what you may think or what opinion you may hold. Note: C&A Guideline 4. Unsupported Bible quotations are to be considered as no more authoritative than unsupported quotations from any other book.

What you believe is irrelevant in debate.
JehovahsWitness wrote: Do you mind?
I 'mind' threads being corrupted with unsupported statements -- Note Forum Rule 5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.
Bold added to emphasize that opinions are not support for claims.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #233

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Danmark wrote:But you are missing the point ...
If I missed the point Zz is more than capable of explaining what that was himself.
Danmark wrote:... Biblical prophesies are worthless...
In your opinion, which you are more than welcome to state.
Zzyzx wrote: Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.
Biblical prophesies are not worthless in my opinon, which I am as much at liberty to state as you are. Or is only one of us free to state our opinion? If you want to post a scripture to support how utterly worthless biblical prophecy is feel free as long as I can use the bible to support my own.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #234

Post by Zzyzx »

JehovahsWitness wrote:
Danmark wrote:But you are missing the point ...
If I missed the point Zz is more than capable of explaining what that was himself.
Daanmark covered it quite well.
Non-Theist

ANY of the thousands of "gods" proposed, imagined, worshiped, loved, feared, and/or fought over by humans MAY exist -- awaiting verifiable evidence

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #235

[Replying to post 233 by Zzyzx]

Well if that was your point then it has been addressed.

Any simplification or clarification needed?
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat May 16, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #236

Zzyzx wrote: .
JehovahsWitness wrote: My opinion is that the bible is aauthoritive and it is biblical use that determines accurate understanding of biblical expressions.
In C&A debates the Bible is NOT considered authoritative regardless what you may think or what opinion you may hold. Note: C&A Guideline 4.

Did I say it was authoritive in this forum? Did Timothy? Are we going to continue stating the obvious or can we return to the topic?

JW

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #237

Post by 2timothy316 »

Danmark wrote:
2timothy316 wrote:
Zzyzx wrote:
The Bible may be considered authoritative in TD&D or Holy Huddle sub-forums, but is no more authoritative than any other book in debates in this (C&A) sub-forum. Consult Guidelines if in doubt.

The Bible is the central focus for thousands of years to define doctrine for true Christians, why would anything else be used? If we we discussing a math equation wouldn't we use a calculator and not a pineapple? So why not use the source of where the term 'last days' came from rather from people's opinions?
:D Comparing 66 books by various, often anonymous authors who frequently tell tales that defy simple observation as well as exhaustive science, to a 'calculator' is laughably inapposite. The Bible has exactly the same authority as Grimms' Fairy Tales, per the guidelines of this forum as Z says.

Who wrote 'The Bible?' Thomas Nelson or Zondervan? Moody? Faithwords? Maybe Bethany House or Dove.
The concept of 'Last Days' is hardly an exclusively Christian concept. It is exclusively a fantasy concept used by many religions and traditions to collect and control devotees by inducing fear.
Arising initially in Zoroastrianism, apocalypticism was developed more fully in Judaic, Christian, and Islamic eschatological speculation.

Apocalypticism is often conjoined with the belief that esoteric knowledge will likely be revealed in a major confrontation between good and evil forces, destined to change the course of history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apocalypticism
What ever you think about the Bible is irrelevant. The term 'last days' came from the Bible going back to the Bible over 2000 years ago. Do you have anything to add concerning the term 'last days' from another source that predates the book of Isaiah to add to the debate? Or are you done with trying to figure out what the last days actually are? You seem to not know who wrote the Bible. It might be adventitious to know for sure before you make guesses.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tcg
Savant

Post #238

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote:
The term 'last days' came from the Bible.
The fact that the term "last days" appears in the Bible doesn't mean that the term can only be used in the way some claim the Bible meant it.

Do you have anything to add concerning the term 'last days' from another source to add to the debate?
Sure. Is the author of this thread an acceptable source?
otseng wrote:
I believe we are in the last days in several aspects, and not all of them are religious.
Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #239

Post by Tcg »

2timothy316 wrote:
So a recap to happen next.

1. Declare Peace and Security when there really isn't any but it will seem convincing.
2. A massive attack on world religions, in the way of their property and money. People will abandon their religions and no one will be able to stop it. (Rev. 16:12; 17:15-18; 18:7, 8, 21)
3. A tribulation the world has never seen. Everyone will be affected.
4. An attack on the last remaining religion which is the true religion. (Ezekiel 38:1, 2, 8, 18; 39:4, 11.)
5. Armageddon, the war between the governments of the Earth and Jehovah's Son Jesus. Which will stop the attack on God's people. (Matthew 24:15-22, Revleation 16:14, 16; 19:11-21)
Another weekly update since this timeline was presented. We are now at week number four. Still no sign of step 1 occurring.

Given that we have been taught that the biblical meaning of the term "last days" doesn't refer to days, but rather some indeterminable amount of time, perhaps we shouldn't be surprised there is nothing to report.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Zzyzx
Site Supporter

Post #240

Post by Zzyzx »

2timothy316 wrote: What ever you think about the Bible is irrelevant. The term 'last days' came from the Bible going back to the Bible over 2000 years ago. Do you have anything to add concerning the term 'last days' from another source that predates the book of Isaiah to add to the debate? Or are you done with trying to figure out what the last days actually are? You seem to not know who wrote the Bible. It might be adventitious to know for sure before you make guesses.
Christianity and the Bible have no monopoly on 'the last days' or 'end times' or 'end of the world'
Since the beginning of recorded time, people have been thinking about the end of the world. As such, the planet’s major religions have formulated elaborate viewpoints on this topic. In Christianity, the Bible’s Book of Revelation details Armageddon, the final battle on Earth between the forces of God and Satan. Hinduism offers a version in which Vishnu returns to battle evil as a figure on a white horse. The doomsday beliefs of some ancient religions can still be felt in modern secular society, as was the case with the conclusion of the Mayan calendar cycle that predicted the end of the world in 2012.
https://www.history.com/topics/religion ... -the-world
Perhaps, though, some will want to play word games
Non-Theist