Are we living in the last days?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Post #1

Post by otseng »

JehovahsWitness wrote: From speaking with my brothers and sister, far from undermining our faith and causing confusion, the impact of coronavirus only serves to strengthen our conviction we are living in the last days and our resolve to preach the good news of the kingdom before the Lord tells us the work is complete.
For debate:

otseng
Savant

Post #101

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: I consider myself very fortunate to live where I do. Relative to my situation, and based on his stated concerns about the U.S, I think otseng is unfortunate.
To be clear, this is a global problem, not just an American problem. There is really nowhere safe in this entire world to escape and be unscathed, even if you're on a super yacht or fleeing to bunkers in NZ.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #102

Post by Danmark »

otseng wrote:
Diagoras wrote: I consider myself very fortunate to live where I do. Relative to my situation, and based on his stated concerns about the U.S, I think otseng is unfortunate.
To be clear, this is a global problem, not just an American problem. There is really nowhere safe in this entire world to escape and be unscathed, even if you're on a super yacht or fleeing to bunkers in NZ.
Diagoras's comment makes sense to me. Tho' I grasp your point (I think), Otseng, you are glossing over the fact the rich have many times more resources to protect themselves from this virus.
I don't need a 'super yacht' to be much safer than someone who must go to work and lives in greater greater proximity to others. With money, you can live alone on a boat, and hire people to bring supplies, put them in your dingy, leave, then you can sanitize the supplies, all while remaining at anchor.

Simply being retired or with sufficient resources that you do not have to work, is a huge advantage. While no place is absolutely safe, we are talking about degrees of risk.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #103

Post by Overcomer »

I have always been of the opinion that the last days began when Christ ascended to heaven.

William
Savant

Post #104

Post by William »

otseng wrote:

William
Savant

Post #105

Post by William »

Danmark wrote:
otseng wrote:
Diagoras's comment makes sense to me. Tho' I grasp your point (I think), Otseng, you are glossing over the fact the rich have many times more resources to protect themselves from this virus.
I don't need a 'super yacht' to be much safer than someone who must go to work and lives in greater greater proximity to others. With money, you can live alone on a boat, and hire people to bring supplies, put them in your dingy, leave, then you can sanitize the supplies, all while remaining at anchor.

Simply being retired or with sufficient resources that you do not have to work, is a huge advantage. While no place is absolutely safe, we are talking about degrees of risk.
William: In General terms, this is true enough. It does present problems re maintenance of course...are we talking of some men becoming islands. because money has enabled this?

In General terms, "The Last Days" are significant in that it accounts for 'the others'. Those without the means to become these apparent 'islands' of relative sanctuary.

So in that I would offer, arguing that some will survive those 'last days' so 'for them it is not' is besides the point.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #106

Post by Danmark »

Overcomer wrote: I have always been of the opinion that the last days began when Christ ascended to heaven.
So... we've had 2000 YEARS of last DAYS? Thass' a lotta days. :)
'bout 730,000. Kinda changes the meaning of 'last.' :D

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #107

Post by Danmark »

[Replying to post 105 by William]

I suggest the whole notion of 'last days' is an absurd one, an idea promoted by religious fantasy. Absent the Sun's 'last days' 7 billion years from now, or a collision with a sufficiently large object, we are not going to have 'last days' anywhere near our lifetimes.

What we will have, in the worst of consequences, will be a reduction of human lives on this planet. Suppose the worst with this virus and everyone but a few hermits contract it.

Millions will be left who did not die from it. Centers of power may shift. Populations will change. New economies in new places will emerge. But neither the planet nor homo sapiens are going to completely disappear. The idea of last days is so extreme, so absolute, it can only happen in comic books and in religious ideology and symbol. Religion ultimately employees extreme scare tactics to induce faith and compliance. Concepts like Hell and 'last days.'

William
Savant

Post #108

Post by William »

Danmark wrote: [Replying to post 105 by William]

I suggest the whole notion of 'last days' is an absurd one, an idea promoted by religious fantasy. Absent the Sun's 'last days' 7 billion years from now, or a collision with a sufficiently large object, we are not going to have 'last days' anywhere near our lifetimes.

What we will have, in the worst of consequences, will be a reduction of human lives on this planet. Suppose the worst with this virus and everyone but a few hermits contract it.

Millions will be left who did not die from it. Centers of power may shift. Populations will change. New economies in new places will emerge. But neither the planet nor homo sapiens are going to completely disappear. The idea of last days is so extreme, so absolute, it can only happen in comic books and in religious ideology and symbol. Religion ultimately employees extreme scare tactics to induce faith and compliance. Concepts like Hell and 'last days.'
William: Be that as it may, I see no evidence to support that human beings will be around for the duration...and the evidence I have seen suggests to me that we won't.

But my point remains valid as you didn't touch on it with your reply.

That 'millions' might survive, it will still be 'the last days' for ''billions'

Of the stories about the subject, none appear to suggest that 'no human beings will exist after that'.

That was my General point.

William
Savant

Post #109

Post by William »

Danmark wrote:
Overcomer wrote: I have always been of the opinion that the last days began when Christ ascended to heaven.
William: On the contrary. The context remains valid. The rocket doesn't fire before the countdown is complete...every single one of those days was a 'last day' for someone(s). Sometimes catastrophically so, as in many died on the day.

In that, it is you who are attempting to 'change the meaning' of the use of 'last' in the context of the phrase "Last Days"...you even appear not to have noticed the pluralism in use.

Danmark
Site Supporter

Post #110

Post by Danmark »

William wrote:
Danmark wrote:
William: On the contrary. The context remains valid. The rocket doesn't fire before the countdown is complete...every single one of those days was a 'last day' for someone(s). Sometimes catastrophically so, as in many died on the day.

In that, it is you who are attempting to 'change the meaning' of the use of 'last' in the context of the phrase "Last Days"...you even appear not to have noticed the pluralism in use.
The term 'last days' refers to everyone, the last days of all humans on Earth. It does not refer to the last days of any individual. Or do you have a biblical reference that suggests another meaning? At least I assume Otseng's reference was to the apocalypse.
a·poc·a·lypse
/əˈpäkəˌlips/
Learn to pronounce
noun
noun: Apocalypse; noun: the Apocalypse; noun: apocalypse; plural noun: apocalypses

the complete final destruction of the world, as described in the biblical book of Revelation.
The rest of your post was for me, incomprehensible. I was unable to find within it a single fact established, or even a faint strain of logic. The fault is mine. Please explain what you were trying to say.